MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my mind,If you buy a british car,it can't be any colour other than British Racing Green.I was wondering if the BRG on the new MINI is actually the same BRG found on any 50's-60's vintage british automobile,or is it what the Germans think BRG should be on a british car.Mazda put out a BRG edition of the MX-5 a few years ago,and it was not BRG.Can the Germans make a better BRG?

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
Simple answer, no.

MINI BRG is very dark and metallic... Thats not to say that is isn't a very nice colour... ;)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
here's a comparison:

old BRG in sunlight

in the shade

Pics Courtesy of MiniMan.com

new BRG

Pic from tfung's gallery @hobbystage.net

The BRG on the MINI looks nicer from the pics. The BRG on the Mini looks like there is a bluish hue to it, but it could be the camera. Anyone seen the two in person to comment?

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
dinger said:
Sorry guys those are'nt true BRG as it was a solid colour and not metalic.
Like these two at the Palo Alto Concours d'Elegance:

There are more "sunlight" shots of the new and old MiNis in BRG at Ofoto.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Re: Real BRG.... very nice!!

KarmanS said:
Wow, I like the color of the true BRG! :cool: Very classy! It would be nice to have that color offered for the MINI.
I'm with you. The MINI BRG is very dark. I've seen Ford Mustangs running around in a lighter metallic green that would look great on the MINI. Silk Green is a little too pale a color for me, plus it won't be available on the 'S'.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Re: Re: Real BRG.... very nice!!

MINIAC said:

I'm with you. The MINI BRG is very dark. I've seen Ford Mustangs running around in a lighter metallic green that would look great on the MINI. Silk Green is a little too pale a color for me, plus it won't be available on the 'S'.
I don't like it...it suited the mini at the time but the new Mini needs a bit more sparkle.

LMB:D

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
MINIAC said:

Found a picture of the Mustang in electric green metallic ... how about this for more sparkle ;)
Now I do like that, very nice:p

That's plenty sparkle for me ;)

LMB:D ;)

·
puckstopper
4,260 Posts
My first instinct when I set my mind to getting a Mini was that it HAD to be British Racing Green. What other color could it possibly be? After seeing a lot of pics posted here and elsewhere, I'm still interested in BRG, but it has most decidedly fallen to second place, well behind Indi Blue with a white roof. I love the modern metallic paints, they have a depth that solid colors usually lack, and the sparkle and reflectivity of a metallic paint complements the modernity of the MINI. That being said, when it comes to BRG, I prefer an old fashioned solid color. My B-GT is British Racing Green, the 'old school' solid BRG circa 1969 (actually Nov 1968, but who is keeping score). The car is currently a long term restoration project, but when it's done, it will sport a nice coat of BRG in the original shade, it just seems right that way...

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
I know there are many different 'takes' on what BRG is, but I disagree that the colors of the two classic Minis shown earlier in this thread is BRG. From the photos, they both appear to different versions of the color BMC/BL called Almond Green, a pair of very nice colors, but much lighter than what is normally considered BRG.

I've owned several MGs painted BRG and as to the mention of the Miata MX-5 special editions painted BRG, to my eyes that color came very close to the BRG that BMC/BL used on MGs of the late 60's and early 70's.

I agree that the MINI's BRG would look better if it weren't metallic. Seems like someone clever with Photoshop could turn a yellow MINI into a BRG to illustrate this....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
The best GREEN you can get is on a Bentley Arnage or the Limited edition Aston Matin Vantage Le Mans.
:) :) :)

·
MINIless MINI2 Master
883 Posts
smiffy said:
The best GREEN you can get is on a Bentley Arnage or the Limited edition Aston Matin Vantage Le Mans.
:) :) :)
If they're the colours I'm thinking of then you're right - absolutely awesome, though it's a standard AM Vantage I have seen in a truely awesome green. (Now why can't car manufacturers offer *that* colour?) Other green colours I have liked include the green offered on the Peugeot 205 (not 206) Roland Garros plus a similar green (not dark) I have seen various modern Toyotas in (but not the Yaris).

I thought the colour closest to the real non-metallic BRG in recent years was that non-metallic dark green that Rover offered, which ironically was not the one called British Racing Green!!! (Still not sure whether the MG Midget picture shows the *real* BRG though - the green should be darker and 'less metallic' than that, though it could be my monitor at fault here.)

My favourite colour from the Mini range just has to be Silk Green, with BRG coming an extremely close second (especially with a white roof for a Cooper). Then it's a tie between Indie Blue and Silver. I'm going for Silk because (a) I love the colour, (b) it's different from the majority of Minis on the road, and (c) I love the colour. :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
783 Posts
Someone commented that the "new" BRG looked blue. My brother's '68 MGB was BRG, and it was distinctly blue in tint - it is the blue tint that defines BRG, in my mind. We don't see a lot of BRG cars in the U.S. anymore, but the last two I remember were a Rover 3500 and a XJ Jag. Both metallic, both with a bluish tint, and very similar to the MINI BRG.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
http://www.lotus-books.com/assets/images/racing.jpg

http://www.kolumbus.fi/bedrock/Autot/Jaguar/XK140.jpg

These 2 pictures illustrate the BRG dichotomy...

The lighter, yellower Lotus BRG (similar to the Clubman photo) vs. the darker, bluer Jag BRG (though not as blue as new MINI BRG)

Both classic, neither metallic

I prefer the Jag BRG - Would look sensational on a new MINI:cool:

The 'BRG' on Mk1 Cooper S pictured looks too much like a lawnmower colour for my taste. The Mustang is a travesty of a car... Nausea on wheels

1 - 20 of 25 Posts