MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to have to replace my rear brake pads. I've done it on my old ford fiesta a few years ago but at the time I didn't really care about bleeding the brake fluid.

So my question is:
Should I really bleed the fluid after changing the rear pads?

How should I proceed? Do I need a special pump? Where can I buy this in the UK?
Do I need a brake fluid to replace the one I've lost?

And finally is it a job that could be done with a standard jack?

·
UberGeek
850 Posts
As long as you don't 'break' the system, you shouldn't need to bleed again. When you loosen of the hex bolts (on the 'inside' edge of the caliper, nearest the middle of the car), the caliper more or less falls apart, making it very easy to get the old pads out.

But, make sure you've got a wind back tool to twist the pistons back in (on the rears only, which is how you release the pressure that gets 'held' by the handbrake).

-Lee

·
UberGeek
850 Posts
Sushi said:
Blimey! A wind back tool...
I found one > here <.
Quite expensive! :eek:

You think this one could be suitable? :rolleyes:

Is there other alternative I can use?
You have three options:

1) Buy the wind back tool
2) Fabricate something up yourself
3) Pay a mechanic *much* more to do it for you (I know, I paid!)

Given the choice over again, I'd go with option 1. And, personally, I'd consider £50 cheap when it comes to ensuring your own safety :)

-Lee

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Your car is a year old. Not a bad idea to do a full purge and fill to get you all new brake fluid in the system.

·
UberGeek
850 Posts
obehave said:
Your car is a year old. Not a bad idea to do a full purge and fill to get you all new brake fluid in the system.
That will be done at the scheduled service intervals, as the speedo display tells you how many days keft until a fluid change is done (press the odo reset button, whilst the display shows how many miles/km's left until next service)

-Lee

·
Registered
14 Posts
I change brake fuid every year. More often on my hot rod 914 ( I beat the :bad::bad::bad::bad: out that cars brakes) as Brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs water) this is a bad thing for a braking system. as the fluid heats up from the compression of fluid the water boils and vaporizes causing air to form in the lines. air is infinately compressable. this seriously affects your braking effieciency. Plus water in your brake system causes rust!!!

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
punkeyfunky said:
That will be done at the scheduled service intervals, as the speedo display tells you how many days keft until a fluid change is done (press the odo reset button, whilst the display shows how many miles/km's left until next service)

-Lee
Yes you could wait. The service interval on brake fluid isn't once a year is it??

As a suggestion, and that's all I was doing, changing the fluid is still valid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
make sure don't let the fluid reach the paint, it eat paint and clear coat. about safety, if u can pull it out, u should able to put it back..........good luck.

·
UberGeek
850 Posts
obehave said:
Yes you could wait. The service interval on brake fluid isn't once a year is it??

As a suggestion, and that's all I was doing, changing the fluid is still valid.
Sorry - I didn't mean to sound hostile! My train of thought was that you don't need to change the fluid or bleed the system for a pad change, although you certainly could if you want to!

Hope that clarifies things :)

-Lee

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
punkeyfunky said:
Sorry - I didn't mean to sound hostile! My train of thought was that you don't need to change the fluid or bleed the system for a pad change, although you certainly could if you want to!

Hope that clarifies things :)

-Lee
Didn't take it that way. I guess my response sounded defensive. Type just doesn't convey stuff right sometimes. Or my lack of skill typing thoughts may not help :)
I was just doing the same thing. You might not need to but it can't hurt to change it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A bottle of brake fluid is like 4 dollars. Again cheap insurance that your braking system is going to work as designed for a long time. I don't even want to think what a new brake caliper costs after it seizes up form rust. or a panic stop that doesn't.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
bighead411
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing