MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Now with S power!
23,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 MCS with 44k on the clock.

It could do with more beans tbh.

Currently have a Milltek & JCW air filter.

Pretty tempted by the GTT 220+ kit at 845 + VAT until the end of the year. Honestly, how much difference will I notice. Will it transform the car or will I just end up with a slightly faster car that you can barely notice, with lower MPG, that must run on 98 octane and will be detrimental to resale value. Also concerned about reliability and BMW extended warrenty issues.

I know everyone raves about it but need some convincing. Will it be a novelty addition like most my mods are that I just get used to and wish I had standard AKA JCW airfilter!

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Matt,

If you are worried about warranty then stop modding. Any change to the engine and BMW could abandon you when you need them.

That being said, you will notice a big difference in performance with a reduction pulley and really enjoy it. I don't notice a huge loss of MPG... Resale and warranty do not go hand in hand with modding.

·
Mini Torque
2,033 Posts
50 bhp over stock hell youll notice that, i dont think one GTT car has ever failed either certainly not the 220 conversions,

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Gristy, not helpful....

Haggi, from what I have seen on the forum this seems to be true. The GTT 220 conversion is one that many folks have done to their MINIs with great success. That being said, nobody can say what will happen. Modding is a risk and can be costly.

Still, my mods have made my MINI a lot more fun. :)

·
Now with S power!
23,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm tough one on JCW R56. :rolleyes:

Either pay 1k for 220bhp+ or pay £14k to change for probably lesser results.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Fitted the GTT220 to my MCS almost 3 years ago, no issues ;)

You will certainly notice a difference :D

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
R56 Mcs Jcw
What for a measely 210bhp, nice.

The only thing the MCS R56 JCW is good for is flashing out the way on the motorway ( slow barges.....lol

Back to topic.

Yes you will notice the difference, MPG will not be effected unless you drive it like a tit after fitting it ( which you will for a couple of weeks, Its also 100% totally reversible so you can put it back to standard if need be

Also resale wise it is probably the most easy modded car to sell on as GTT is recognised as a tuning company. Easiest thing to do is try another users GTT220,

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
If you already run a JCW airbox and Milltek then I'd consider other options too including ThinkMINI (GTT approved seller) or 1320 personally...especially if your worried about warrantee (eg problems arrising from tuning) then go for a lesser tune. Perhaps a 15% pulley and a GRS intercooler (mean the temps will be lower so less risk of it going pop).

15% pulley + GRS + GTT Manifold (JCW Airbox and Milltek exhaust) = Nice power, probably at least 220 and a little bit safer temps wise than going 17% without a replaced intercooler. I would imagine that cost would not be hugely different to a GTT 220 kit either (probably at bit more but not vast amounts)

Approx

200ish (fitted with plugs and belt) + 400ish (fitted) +650ish (fitted) = £1250 inc vat ???!!!

Be worth speaking with some tuners/suppliers such as Roland, ThinkMINI, 1320 about what they can offer and for what money. GTT stuff is very well made, I have lots of it on my car, but you can achieve the same power via a different route to the 17% pulley if you want....both ways have show drag, rolling road and trackday results...but my view based on my experience of having done it, is that I don't like changing to a reduced pulley without an IC upgrade. I ran a 15% on stock for ages and found temps got very high on occasion as I'm a spirited driver... I switched to a GP IC and temps are now far more acceptable....and my power is probably still up there with the big boys as at the last time it rolled 212bhp (15%, Milltek manifold, exhaust, GP IC, alta intake) even when the IC was very hot and the rollers were not preloaded enough to work the supercharger...so a low reading IMO. I now run nearer to the 240bhp mark as some more stuff is now on, but still only on a 15% pulley ;) :D

Just my 2p worth ... I know Thinks Gtt220 show car Bert is fast, but I still think an IC on 17% is a muist if your a spirited driver, do lots of motorway (closed loop/hot) driving or live near londona dn sit in traffic a fair amount.

Reactions: DaFlake

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
As George said, if you want to drive a car fitted with all the gtt 220 kit then pop over and have a go in bert.

My very own S was fitted with the GTT 220 kit back in 2005 when the car had 800 miles and the clock and its been fun and fast ever since!

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
I love the way you've left out how much faster it has gotten since with even more GTT stuff ;) :p

George has a point...check out Bert and see what you think. You can see for yourself wether it delivers what you want and in a manner you like. Unfortyunatley rolands car is a 350 turbo monster so theres little point in test driving that unless you have some serious cash to spend ;) :D Its an awesom peice of kit but not within the cost reach of many.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I love the way you've left out how much faster it has gotten since with even more GTT stuff ;) :p

George has a point...check out Bert and see what you think. You can see for yourself wether it delivers what you want and in a manner you like. Unfortyunatley rolands car is a 350 turbo monster so theres little point in test driving that unless you have some serious cash to spend ;) :D Its an awesom peice of kit but not within the cost reach of many.

I think its because his fat arse wheels have made it soo slow now.....lol

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
they don't call them porker wheels for nothing ;) :p

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
I have a 2005 MCS with 44k on the clock.

It could do with more beans tbh.

Currently have a Milltek & JCW air filter.

Pretty tempted by the GTT 220+ kit at 845 + VAT until the end of the year. Honestly, how much difference will I notice. Will it transform the car or will I just end up with a slightly faster car that you can barely notice, with lower MPG, that must run on 98 octane and will be detrimental to resale value. Also concerned about reliability and BMW extended warrenty issues.

I know everyone raves about it but need some convincing. Will it be a novelty addition like most my mods are that I just get used to and wish I had standard AKA JCW airfilter!
You will certainly notice the difference with a GTT220 kit. I had my 04 (facelift) MCS done in June, it's completely changed the car. More torque, more power, more insistent supercharger whining :-D

And regarding MPG - I'm pretty sure mines improved since the conversion, especially when cruising, so don't worry about that.

As for the need to have an IC - well they'll help you stop losing power on hot days, but tbh I think you'd be VERY unlucky for the engine to go pop without one. Richard does have a point about with the mods you've already got though going straight for a pulley/plugs solution (say with 1320) and then thinking about a GTT manifold or GRS intercooler.

If you're down in London give me a shout, I'd be happy to take you out for a spin :D

Oh yes, the other thing about residuals - well you should be able to sell a GTT modded car more easily than some others, but most people still tend to whip off the modded parts, sell them separately and the car as stock - you'll get more that way...

·
MiniTorque*****
1,072 Posts
IMO, tuner 'kits' are overpriced when a 15% pulley and a new set of spark plugs will do the job.

One of Modern MINI's writers just added a pulley and plugs and she's now got 217 bhp... so save yourself some money on a tuner kit and just get a pulley and some plugs... Pulley, belt and some NGK's £313 inc vat fitted.... Job done!

If you then want to spend a little more to get some more bhp then add GRS I/C... then Janspeed/GTT manifold and before you know it 230+ bhp :D

But before you start your tuning journey at least find out what you've got now so I'd go for a health check and a dyno run so you have a benchmark before the mods are done.

In terms of tuner kits helping re-sale value etc... balderdash I'm afraid, not even Roland himself can sell a 2nd hand MINI by adding a 210 kit to it!

http://www.mini2.com/forum/gt-tuning/157684-sale-210bhp-cooper-s-04-reg-now-7995-a.html

·
dyno-mite, might not....
1,037 Posts
is your glass half full, half empty, as bigshow says a lohen/gtt kit can look expensive against the sum of its parts,
as your midlands based 1320 or think mini would be your best bets, esp if your intending to go beyound pully and plugs, i think your better off with a tuner

but there is the other side that says its fab value against a factory fit jcw that also adds a poorly ported head, a suspect map and slightly larger injectors + some nice badges
for another 3k = to get same or less hp

·
Polo GT Owner!
3,938 Posts
hmm tough one on JCW R56. :rolleyes:

Either pay 1k for 220bhp+ or pay £14k to change for probably lesser results.
I know what id do...;) Deffo the GTT route for me...;)

Also nobody's mentioned it....have you thought about the affect it might have on your insurance premium?

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
You could also buy the parts and find an independant garage to fit them for you. However, you take the risk that they might mess something up.

Tuners bring a level of security for the person that wants to mod their car for a little fun but you are going to pay a bit more for that professional.

Having installed a bunch or pulleys I can tell you that no two were the same. One was downright painful to get done right.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts