MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my MCC for £18K in sept04 and have had nothing but trouble with it.
It has spent 2 out of its 3 month life at the dealers.
It is back now and fingers crossed it is OK although I do have the first signs of roof wear appearing.
I am so fed up with the whole experience and am not really keen on the drive (compared to my old cooper hardtop) and am thinking of part exchanging it for a hard top.
My dealer has offered me £17k for it.

Should I or shouldn't I?

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,173 Posts
OK, so the convertable was worth a try, but it hasn't worked out for you.

How many other cars could you use for 3 months and loose so little?

Looks like it's time to start speccing that new Cooper then...

Tigger.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
You should not be making a loss on that car. If it has been in the dealers for 2 months out of it's 3 month life you should reject it and ask the dealer to supply you a new car with a full refund on yours. This may only be possible though if it still has existing faults - the roof wear is an obvious one though.

Don't let the dealer make a profit from you twice after supplying you faulty goods!

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you want to get rid of the car, REJECT it at your dealers NOW. Dont waste any more time. Get the car you will be happy with, its YOUR money & your RIGHT. (says the man putting up with his MCC)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sounds like a case for rejection, and therefore no money loss.

Remember that following a recent change in the law it's now up to the dealer to prove that everything is OK rather than you to prove that something is wrong when you reject the car.

Make a list of everything thats gone wrong and time in the dealers and then take it to the Citizens Advice Bureau for advice (funnily enough). A quick trip there could save you £1000.

£1000 depn over 3 months isn't too bad, but in your case it's £1000 over one month of actual ownership!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies guys.

I have to agree I am pretty hacked off that I should have to loose money and have to buy another car from the same dealer after the way they have treated me.
However the manager made it pretty clear to me that he would fight me all the way if I tried to reject the car and said I was being unreasonable expecting a brand new car to look like a brand new car!!
I shall seek advice I think.

Thanks

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,173 Posts
I have only had to reject a car once (Not a MINI).

I phoned up the RAC (I had company membership at the time) and spoke to their legal department. One of the staff there then spent about 1/2 an hour talking me through the process and then dictating a proper letter of rejection to the contract hire company (slightly different to your situation).

They conceeded immeadiately and the car went back for a refund. I had had the car for one year and it had spent a total of 5 months in the workshops.

Always worth a try if you have a well documented list of faults and times in the workshops.

Tigger.

·
MINI-no-more
1,415 Posts
TurboNutterChick said:
Thanks for your replies guys.

I have to agree I am pretty hacked off that I should have to loose money and have to buy another car from the same dealer after the way they have treated me.
However the manager made it pretty clear to me that he would fight me all the way if I tried to reject the car and said I was being unreasonable expecting a brand new car to look like a brand new car!!
I shall seek advice I think.

Thanks
We had a similar problem several years ago with a MGF. Eventually after contacting/meeting the South West Sales Manager we did get a replacement car at no extra cost. It was one of the first MGFs and due to waiting lists we were allowed to keep our car until a replacement was available (6 months later). It took determination and a lot of time but was definitely worth it. I would defy anyone to argue that it is not unreasonable to expect a new car to spend more time on the road than in the dealership during it's first three months of ownership. Have you tried to contact MINI directly rather than your dealer?

Good luck :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.