MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Deserter Zed
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

i dont have ASC (who need its!!! lol) so i have a blank in my toggle bank. i've gone a bought a new toggle switch, and plan to fit it when i have some thing to wire to it. (was thinking og using it as an engine start switch)

anyone fitted one before? i have had all the dash apart in the past, but have yet to dismantle the toggle bank itself.

is it a difficule job?

Has any1 wired up an eingine start switch not from a kit?

Any help is really appreciated.

Ben

·
Deserter Zed
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i got it off a mini2 user. i dont know if she has ne more. her username is ClaireOne.

Claire, ne comments?

·
Registered
79 Posts
she got busted for selling and not paying anything to mini2 a few weeks ago and is banned.
How much was it?was it just a single switch or was it the whole pannel?

·
Deserter Zed
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
silver_mini said:
she got busted for selling and not paying anything to mini2 a few weeks ago and is banned.
How much was it?was it just a single switch or was it the whole pannel?
kinda fort summut like that mite av append, ah well i got a few cheap bits! lol

it is jus a switch, got it 4 a fiver in p+p, i've ad the panel out before, it look like it come appart, but also luks its gonna b an utter ass 2 du!!!

·
Deserter Zed
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
like i said i've not taken it to bits yet. i realise that its a circuit board in there but u shud n able to get a switch in, an wire it up seperately hopefully. we will c i suppose, i'll b a bit gutted if i av to leave it in as a dummy!!

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
You called for an expert? ;)

The toggle switch panel is easy to dismantle - push plastic clips out and remove back and front pieces. Be careful not to snap them.

HOWEVER:
Inside you will find an elastomeric (= rubber) sheet that sits under where the switches go. When a switch is toggled, it pushes on a plastic piece which in turn pushes a dimple on the elastomeric down onto the circuit board below. Since the elastomeric is conductive, it makes a circuit.
There is NO POWER CAPABILITY.

Your options:
1. Simply fit a toggle (which can be got from someone who has dismantled a not-wanted panel) and be happy that the space is filled.
2. Rig a circuit that can respond to the low current signal from the toggle, and can switch a higher current device
3. Drill the elastomeric and the circuit board, and fit a different switch in the position - hopefully one that looks OK. But be very careful not to destroy the panel. Be sure that you can afford to buy a complete new panel if you are not very careful.

·
Deserter Zed
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ta mister McExpert!!! lol

so realistically how hard would it be to wire it up as an engine start switch?

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
One issue with the engine start switch is the immobilizer built into the engine computer. You need the RFID chip (inside the key) to be near to the ignition slot. You could perhaps dismantle the key and affix the RFID key near the slot but then the car will think the key is always in the ignition (bell ringing whenever you open the driver door), and the car has no immobilizer to help prevent theft.

·
Deserter Zed
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GBMINI said:
One issue with the engine start switch is the immobilizer built into the engine computer. You need the RFID chip (inside the key) to be near to the ignition slot. You could perhaps dismantle the key and affix the RFID key near the slot but then the car will think the key is always in the ignition (bell ringing whenever you open the driver door), and the car has no immobilizer to help prevent theft.
i'd want it wired up so that the key has to be on the 2nd notch before the switch wud work!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
3 Participants
Smoked
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing