MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off to test drive a certain motor tomorow.

Then I have to be gagged and bound for a few days, and eventually I will be able to share the occasion with you all.

Anyway, any questions I could answer from my S test, ask them here, even if you've asked them elsewhere, and I'll do my best!

:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Some Q's

Just a few details requested...

1) In-gear performance - would like opinions on overtaking ability. 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th - interested if high 'S' torque makes overtaking without changing down feasible.

2) Ride/handling differences between versions with 16" and 17" boots. Improvements one way or another. Very noticeable, somewhat noticeable or barely noticeable.

3) Everything else.....!!!!

:) :) :) :)

Enjoy yourself, Paul

Albi

·
Registered
113 Posts
In addition to the questions already posed, how does the noise level of the S compare to the cooper or any other car that you think many of us may have already driven. (such as a civic or a golf)

I'm jealous, but have fun any way.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The main thing most of us will want to know is whether it really is worth the extra wait and money over the Cooper.

Is the faux aluminium effect really awful in the flesh?

What is the fuel consumption like ina real-world situation?

Does the exhaust note sound good?

Is the car much louder than the Cooper? Too loud??

How much wheelspin can be induced with the ASC off? Will DSC be a necessity?

How does it handle with Sports Suspension+ and all that torque?

Will it be comfortable on longer journeys, or is this car just for blasting along A-roads?

What's that 6-speed 'box like? Is 6th useable? How close are the ratios? What about the throw of the gearstick?

Is the boot layout any different from the Cooper (it seems to have gained the battery, for example) [and will I still get a baby buggy in the boot???]

And after your test drive, will you still be inclined to swap for a Cooper or will you resurrect your S order? ;)

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
When does the power really kick in? Is there much more low down torque than the Cooper??

Why didn't you ask me to come with you??

Have fun.

:)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
How many RPM's does the engine turn in 6th, at hwy speeds (62mph/100km approximate please).

A good description of the overall sound of the car. (If you wanted to tape it, I'm sure we'd all be pleased).

A good description of the feel of the shifter. Is it notchy, vague, mushy, crisp? Short throw, long throw. Vibrations transmitted through it. Intuitive, or difficult.

Impressions of the supercharger. Does it feel like a fully-blown engine, or does it just feel like a more powerful version of the same engine. I.E. Is it responsive. While there's no 'lag' does it suffer from a wind-up hesitation. Does it cut-off sharply. If you downshift and engine brake, does it still feel right? It it still nicely free-revving.

In-car visibility over the bonnet scoop. Basically the same, or does it cut into your view when parking?

Exhaust note. While I'm sure BMW has done a good engineering job on this, does it sound like a quality product, or just one of those 'farty' aftermarket exhausts.

Statistics aside, does it FEEL like a heavier car.

Although the Cooper is not the fastest thing in it's price range, reviews have said that it easily feels the fastest. So does the Cooper S feel faster than it's real world 0-100km 7.4 sec time. Since I'll never race it it test these figures, how much of a grin is this thing going to put on my face?

If the engine growl, supercharger whine, and exhaust note do wind up being fairly loud overall, is the radio still up to the task? I'm most interested in the NON-H/K radio (as I'm sure the fancy one is plenty loud).

Would you, will you, are you going to drop the extra cash on a Cooper S after the test drive? Is it a superior car? Is it a rip, adequate or a bargain for the extra money?

Is it an easy drive, or do you have to work at it? Is it strictly a sports car in this trim that will punnish you on your daily commute, or is it a delight at any speed like the Cooper.

Is the clutch any heavier? Is it grabby or smooth? Is it forgiving, or do you have to have it crushed into the carpet to be fully disengaged? (I had to cut floor mats in a Mustang GT Cobra once...)

Can anyone still fall in love with it, or is it a lot more quirky and gruff than the Cooper. I'm not talking looks here - strictly driveability. (I.E. is my spouse gonna kill me for talking her into it, over the Cooper.)

How weird is it shifting into Reverse, up and left, as opposed to down and right? I'm I gonna stick this thing in 6th evertime I try to reverse for the first 6 months?
Also, how quick can you go from Reverse to First, or vice versa (Rocking the car in snow). Is there ANY chance, whatsoever I am going to mistake reverse for first, downshifting at high revs from second, thus sprinkling my transmission all over the road. (Does it prevent this somehow, like not allowing you access to reverse unless stopped, or slow, or your foot on the brake?)

What is Xenon interior lighting? The dome lamp isn't an evil blue HID bulb like the headlamps, is it?

Was it worth the wait?

Is the ground clearance any worse than a Cooper with the SS+? (Does that sticky-outy lip at the front strike things?).

If there are more than one Cooper S, and you get to drive them, does wheel selection make either car feel more sprightly? (It has been said that the 17" S-Spokes with runflat tires are unreasonably heavy). Statistics aside, can you FEEL a difference?

Hope you have fun. Hope it's another gleaming review, because I've already ordered one.:D

·
Registered
930 Posts
1) Is the extra power really needed and worth $3000 more?

2) Are the gear ratios close?

3) Ride with 16" wheels versus 17" wheels?

4) Does your tester have the Space Cloth interior? Any details about the cloth sport seats would be appreciated.

Thanks Paul and have fun!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
One thing I really hate about front drive cars is torque steer.

So even though the steering in the Cooper isn't prone to it at all, does all that supercharge torque in the S induce it?

What are the ratios like on the 6-speed?

Does extra weight of battery in the back + extra exhaust bits affect handling balance?

At the end of the day, doesn't make a difference. Whatever the bad points are it'll be just nitpicking. It's a beautiful piece of machinery.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Will BMW ever offer a Cooper with the S engine and bonnet air intake as an option, but without all the other S styling changes (particularly the S wing, grill and bumpers)? In other words, a car which looks like a Cooper but goes like an S?

·
Registered
198 Posts
standard trim items

eg
interior lights
nets on back of seats
both seats hight adjustible
floor mats
1/2 leather

or will i have to pay more for those options ???

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
what does it sound like :confused: :confused: :confused:
Nice & throaty :confused: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just curious about how the power is delivered, is it smooth like the cooper demanding high revs, or is there much low down grunt?

Does the power come in quickly like a turbo or does it build gradually?

Is there any noticeable difference in build quality?

Have a great time paul, I am green with envy!!!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Please try launching the car with the DSC on and off. Under max throttle, how much wheel spin did you encounter in each configuration? I am wondering if the car suffers badly from lack of a limited slip differential and how much the DSC works to correct it. Did you feel that you could launch faster with or without DSC?

ENJOY...

Tom

·
Registered
189 Posts
And find out what the air speed velocity is for an unladen swallow :D

·
Registered
448 Posts
Der Blue Potato said:
And find out what the air speed velocity is for an unladen swallow :D
African or European?