MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a great piece of kit, bought it yesterday for the MINI & think it is superb. It is small & portable, has an excellent screen & very easy to use. Has touch screen & post code inputs. Works out routes quickly & responds well with recalculations. The 3D map is excellent, much better than the M3s. Has lots of options, including destination via another address/POI. Have downloaded a speed camera database but not check it out yet. No probs with satelite reception or battery life.

If any of you are considering this then go get it, you wont be disappointed!!

· Registered
107 Posts
Yeah, been thinking about getting this - it sound s marvellous. Do you have any problems with locking onto sats in the Mini ?. Also, do you have a heated windscreen ?.

· Registered
80 Posts
Bought mine already.

I already bought one after much research online. Definitely a good way to keep my mind off the wait for my Mini. :)

It retails for $899 (US) here and was able to get one online for $650. I bought it sight unseen, as I haven't been able to see one in person in the states. I defintely recommend it, now if my Mini would just arrive, I could get some good use out it. :(

· Registered
80 Posts
When you consider the cost... definitely.

Considering I got my GO for $650 US and the Mini NAV is $1700, there is no comparison.

The GO is not as "clean" as the built in, but you can easily take it with you in another car. The screen on the GO is amazing, whereas people have complained about the Mini NAV in bright sun. Also I believe you lose one of the line in/out options when you have the NAV.

To my knowledge, the main additional features of the Mini NAV are integration with the front/rear bumper cameras and TMC for traffic updates. The CDs for the GO come with the TMC codes, so there may be an add-on in the future.

IMHO, if you can live without those features, then GO is a much better value.

· Registered
1,024 Posts
I've had a Tomtom Go for a couple of months now and am very impressed with it.

I use it in two cars, the MINI and a Volvo and have no problems with satellite reception in either of them although neither has a heated windscreen.

You can get a whole range of POI databases at this site www.PocketGPS.co.uk

· Registered
1,024 Posts
You don't actually need any cabling. It has an internal rechargeable battery and comes with a mains charger. The battery will last for about 5 hours on a charge. It also comes with a cigarette lighter type 12Volt charger which you can use in the car for longer journeys.

The Go also includes an internal antenna which works fine inside the car, unless you have a heated windscreen. So there are no aerial leads either.

It comes with a mounting bracket that has a suction pad and is adjustable. So you can attach it to the windscreen or dashboard. I haven't got a photo of it in the MINI but it fits nicely on the windscreen in the corner by the driver's door.

· Shopping
741 Posts
Bought it in July along with the new Garmin touch screen. I used them side by side when we went touring during the month of July.

Now I agree it's good and the cost of it not to bad agianst the Garmin but a couple of points.

The European map for France Germany Italy etc is rubbish.

Lost its reception more than the Garmin when going through tunnels

Garmin re routed quicker.

The voice was easier to hear on the Garmin.

The Garmin has more routing options i.e roads suitable lorrys or motor cycles etc which is good when you have a 8 meter long caravan on the back.

As a portable GPS SatNav which we take from car to car and country to country I think the Garmin is the better of the two.

Only what I think mind. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.