MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have a TomTom Go & heated screen that can confirm whether it still works using the std interior antenna?

cheers :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm about to check this myself - borrowing a friends tomtom GPS receiver at work this lunchtime. Think it probably will though, it's heat reflective glass the GPS receivers tend to have problems with, not the metal elements in heated windscreens. I'll let you know how it pans out. Note, I'll be checking out using the bluetooth GPS receiver for an iPaq navigation system rather than the 'Go' all in one thingy, but the results should stand...

·
almost 59k
5,117 Posts
TOM TOM pda receiver units work with all types of windscreens fitted in MINIs. Ive seen the wireless and non wireless versions working fine with heated screens.

Im assuming that TOM TOM GO uses the same receiver unit technology and would therefore be 99% sure it would work.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well it worked fine - didn't have any issues picking up the satellites. Now my car is a cabrio so not quite so much metal in the roof but I had the gps receiver tucked well under the windscreen (so not reachable if I've the roof down by tea leaves).

Like the idea of the Go all in one solution, and noticed they've now launched CDs with street level mapping within Europe - if I get a big enough SD car could I put these all on one SD and use it to direct me round my pan-European jolliday?

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
right thats me ordering a visibility pack then, cheers guys :D

·
almost 59k
5,117 Posts
Rich C said:
Well it worked fine - didn't have any issues picking up the satellites. Now my car is a cabrio so not quite so much metal in the roof but I had the gps receiver tucked well under the windscreen (so not reachable if I've the roof down by tea leaves).

Like the idea of the Go all in one solution, and noticed they've now launched CDs with street level mapping within Europe - if I get a big enough SD car could I put these all on one SD and use it to direct me round my pan-European jolliday?
its 9 CD's for the whole of Europe. so i guess u need a pretty big SD card for that. Im sure u can get Major Road and Cities of Europe which is about 100mb which semed fine when i used it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have an Ipaq with GPS jacket running tom tom 3 and it works fine with the heated windscreen, should imagine the Go will be ok too.

·
MINI2 Regular
124 Posts
Hat

Just used the Tom Tom Go today for the first time. I have a heated windscreen and it works perfectly, no loss of signal at tall :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
heated windscreen

i have fitted a origin blue i which needs to "see" the satellites. It also has a function to see the strength of signal received. If you look carefully on your screens you will see that the heated elements do not go right across to the edges and there is about 4 " clear on both sides. Although the origin works well where ever i put it on the dash it definately gets a better signal from the egdes of the dashboard, so if you experience any problems you will probably find them resolved by moving your tomtom accordingly.

·
fully ISO 3103 Compliant
300 Posts
My tom tom go arrived today, and it says that it can't get a signal, even on my central london office roof (5 floors), and in the local park by canary whalf. Would I be right in saying that it is broken?
This is being held by me and not covered obviously!

Mike

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
maxsendq said:
My tom tom go arrived today, and it says that it can't get a signal, even on my central london office roof (5 floors), and in the local park by canary whalf. Would I be right in saying that it is broken?

Mike
i found when i first got mine that it took around 30 minutes to find a signal. after that first time its been fine, they might be something in the software that 'learns' satelite positions. now it takes around a minute to get a signal & rarely loses it

·
Registered
23 Posts
maxsendq said:

Mike
As others have said, it can take a while for the GPS unit to download the ephemeris (sp?) files when it's first powered on. You can help it along by going into map mode on Navigator, scrolling to your approximate location and selecting "Reset GPS to this location" from the menu.

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
shame it doesn't mention this in the instructions, i thought mine was broke too originally.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts