MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am planning a project for my Mini. I'm gonna do a rev counter mount like MikeytheMini has, for my Orange SPV C500 phone. I'm then gonna combine it with the new TomTom Mobile GPS satnav software, which now apparently works with this phone. Is anyone currently using TomTom Mobile, on any platform? Any thoughts about how good/reliable it is?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm using Tom Tom Mobile with the Nokia 6600 mounted on a Brodit clip and plugged into the cigar lighter. I tried using it without the cigar adaptor, but its impossible as it eats the battery!. You have to have power to the phone...........or you can expect no maore than 2 hours.

I think this is due to not being able to turn off the backlight on the 6600.

Decent piece of kit and far better than the BMW Sat Nav on my 330d. Far more compact than the ToTom PDA Sat Nav which I used prior to purchasing the TomTom mobile.

·
Registered
409 Posts
It's fantastic. I'm running it on a Nokia 6600. Installation is a doddle and it has the very latest maps (The M6 Toll IS on it), and even though there is a smaller screen, it's very usable. The 3D map is excellent, as are the spoken directions. I used a Brodit Proclip & Mount to mount mine, which I thoroughly recommend. A much better solution than a PDA. The spoken directions mute when you have an incoming call! I also loaded the speed camera database from www.pocketgps.co.uk on mine too! Therefore I only have to mount the phone in the MINI and not a phone, PDA and speed camera detector!

Let me know if you have specific questions. I can recommend the Forum on www.pocketgps.co.uk for help on TTM.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its brillinat, I have it on a Nokia 6600 and fixed onto a pro clip. Better than BMW Sat Nav IMO and has ALL roads I have travelled on over the last four weeks, even the recently built and very new roads. Better than teh PDA.

How do I back up the ToTom SD card?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for your replies, guys!!! I reckon I'm going to go ahead with it. I can't mount it on a proclip, because I already have an ipod on a proclip on the downtube... I'm going to have to find a way to power the phone. Are you guys powering the GPS receiver, or just charging it up occasionally?

·
Registered
409 Posts
I power my receiver from the power point in the boot. The receiver sits on the rear parcel shelf. That way it doesn't clutter up the dash either!

·
Registered
71 Posts
brassd - Where is the power point in the boot?. How do you rig up the GPS to it? Is there a special lead?

·
The Mini Family Sponsers
1,607 Posts
Davislove3rd said:
do you guys with Tom Tom mobile find the volume from the phone speaker loud enough in car?

cheers
Not too bad really, obviousely if you have the sounds up loud then you will not here it but on the whole pretty good.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello again everyone!

I was wondering, is anyone already running tomtom mobile on the SPV C500? How is it?

Does anyone know if :

- you can get a powered holder for it, which wires eg straight to the battery rather than the cigarette lighter

- if you can use tomtom mobile in combination with a bluetooth car kit for example the Nokia CK-7W

- how you get new maps for tomtom mobile, for example the Belgium/Luxembourg/Holland map, and if they can all be copied onto a single large miniSD card.

Thanks a lot guys!

·
Damned
4,534 Posts
I`ve just managed to get TomTom Mobile up & Running today on an SPV E200 with a non- TomTom BT 77 GPS BlueTooth Receiver.
Its a bit neater than my TomTom 2 on PDA which Ive been using for around 2 years, & of course is more portable, the Receiver actually being able to pick up 6 satellites while within a building with a fibreglass & Steel Roof !!
Will add further updates when its actually taken somewhere I dont know ;)

Attachments

·
Damned
4,534 Posts
Been using it for a couple of weeks now, & am quite impressed with it.
Although lacking the screen size of my TomTom2 PDA setup, it will be replacing it due to its -put-in-the-pocket size & convenience.
The volume isnt as loud as the PDA, but is perfectly adequete even over the Harmon Kardon ;)
Its been programmed to give warnings about upcoming Speed Cameras, as well as all the usual useful POI info such as Petrol stations & Carparks.
It only bad point against the PDA is lack of TouchScreen, as I now have to press a combination of buttons to navigate while on the move. :rolleyes:
Of course, Being a Windows Smartphone ..it has been known to crash occaisionally but soon reboots back to working :rolleyes:
Taking a few points from "Brassd" installation above, I have mounted the receiver under the parcel shelf where it is secured with Velcro for easy release, & is powered by the Boots Lighter socket when the ignition is on.
At the moment, I am switching it on by pressing the button through the grill with a Plastic tie end that sits nicely in the grill, but would welcome any mods to the circuitry as to switching it on whenever the external power is supplied ... Any Takers :cool:

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.