MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`ve just read the BBC Watchdog thread (buried elsewhere) and read this DiamondGeezer bit - which I thought merited a bit of an airing here on General Discussion. Says it all (for me) - complainers can`t complain when at least someone is trying to get BMW to do something about THEIR quality issues. . . . .

"I must admit I'm really suprised at the postings here.

Ok - Watchdog is a pile of ****.

However, the amount of posts I've read on this forum with people moaning about the faults with their cars (and there are many) and calling people to stand up to BMW.

Then all you can do is write it off as a crass piece of journalism.

The first case (faulty electrics) is a fault I've read about many times here and it is totally unacceptable. The woman complained and obviously did a far better job of it than many of you here. From memory, didn't she get a replacement car? Then there was the insurance issue i.e. if the car had this defect then your insurance could be null and void.

The second case was so obviously not as a result of grass on the cat, exhaust or anything else for that matter. What was BMWs response - 'oh it happens a lot with cars with lowered sporty suspension' - well to anyone that knows their cars, that's complete bollocks - something was obviously faulty!

Let's face it, if BMW had sat up and taken notice months ago, then it's likely the MINI wouldn't even have been featured.

By all means vent your frustrations here when things go wrong with your car but don't then moan when it's publicised. You can't have it both ways.

BMW have a problem and they should take ownership of it.

I do agree though that the whole way in which the programme is put together is a complete shambles."

Well said DG . .

·
Registered
113 Posts
I once saw 3 fires start in a field used as a car park for a day by hot catalytic convertors - they get to some rediculous temp. I dont think there is any getting away from it.

Dave

PS - I think it is natural for us to defend our MINI's when opened to outside critics - esp. Watchdog!

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
baldie said:
I once saw 3 fires start in a field used as a car park for a day by hot catalytic convertors - they get to some rediculous temp. I dont think there is any getting away from it....
Geez! Is that what the BBC program is on about? Like it is a fault particular to MINIs?

We've had catalytic converters on cars in the US since 1975. Since about that time, 27 years ago, the fire hazard when parking a car in tall grass has been widely publicized. Is this just making its way to the BBC now? :eek: And the MINI is being blamed? :confused:

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Well, on one hand I think it's good that Watchdog showed the electrical problem because it may help others with that problem to realise they are not alone.

I also think the burning grass story was a joke, there's so much more they could mentioned, common, apparently genuine problems... but grass burning on the cat?!

And those reconstrctions were also pretty poor.

And as for the 'Watchdog result' with the lady getting a new car, it was replaced BEFORE watchdog stepped in!

:confused:

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Paul_Mullett said:

I also think the burning grass story was a joke, there's so much more they could mentioned, common, apparently genuine problems... but grass burning on the cat?!

Personaly I find this a positive feature. I park my car outside my gate where the grass is long after a trip. Works a treat, and saves me any effort at all with the brushcutter.

Always there's a silver lining. !

:D

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hot hatches

Basil said:

Personaly I find this a positive feature. I park my car outside my gate where the grass is long after a trip. Works a treat, and saves me any effort at all with the brushcutter.

Always there's a silver lining. !

:D
Next thing - Sydney starts to feel the full effect of your `positive` parking procedure Basil.

G`daybytheway!!

;)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Re: hot hatches

Jakx said:
Next thing - Sydney starts to feel the full effect of your `positive` parking procedure Basil.

G`daybytheway!!

;)

ooo.....those sydney fires are no laughing matter jakx. But your right, I do have a fire extinguisher handy in case I leave the forester cook just a little too long......

and G'day brudder to you too

:)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Paul_Mullett said:

Well, my cat stays indoors so that shouldn't be a problem. We do have some pesky raccoons in the area though, should I be concerned?

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
normalizer said:

Well, my cat stays indoors so that shouldn't be a problem. We do have some pesky raccoons in the area though, should I be concerned?
I think raccoons burn hotter than cats....so yes your should be concerned

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
It actually says in the manual you should be careful parking the car on grass because of the cat.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hotter`s are alright . . although I don`t actually know any.

Basil said:

I think raccoons burn hotter than cats....so yes your should be concerned

And, as for the humble hotter, I understood that it was naturally water-cooled for most of it`s life anyway.

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Congratulations to Watchdog, they have bought to light a serious issue in this country and have tackled it head on. I applaud them and will be a regular viewer from now on. Suzi Perry was only available in biker mags, but now she is on national TV ! A great asset to the programme.....I must contact them about a batch of faulty 'skimpy tops' which she could do a 10 minute or so feature on.......:D

·
Registered
546 Posts
Manual Schmanual

monsta said:
It actually says in the manual you should be careful parking the car on grass because of the cat.
Don't start reading the manual ....remember folks, too much knowledge etc. etc.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
topping idea . . . .

smartbomb said:
. . . Suzi Perry . . . I must contact them about a batch of faulty 'skimpy tops' which she could do a 10 minute or so feature on . .
Basil might have something to say about that?

Only 10 minutes? . . . you`re easily pleased smartboob !

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Jakx,
10 minutes is about right, I have about 10 mins left on a tape of lingerie documentaries...any more and I'd have to tack it onto my 'History of the gusset' tape....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts