MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all my top shock mount is busted on the right side,looking at it i'd say the right side of the body that houses this mount in the engine bay(next to the fender liner) is ever so slightly musroomed.What's the fix gentlemen and what parts to get.I am in the process of collecting parts for a clutch job plus other stuff and will do all at once.My plan is to install Koni FSD shocks on stock springs.Its a 2002 cooper(non S). Any advise greatly appreciated

·
dyno-mite, might not....
1,037 Posts
a high tech hammer, as used by thor will do the job, some pine would be useful as well

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have some pretty good bodywork guys around here and the mushroom is very slight and i'd say more on one side so looks like it could be clobbered back into place.As far as new mounts and reinforcement plates that i see on the net, what do you guys recomend i have no prob going aftermarket.I am fairly ignorant in this department so bear with me, is there some sort of mount with adjustability so as to correct it at wheel alighnment if the mount is not 100%.Bail me out with some advise with what i'm about to buy.This forum is great for help thanks guys.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well theres a lot on this prob over on NAM,so it looks like i'll get Ireland engerneering fixed camber plates along with a pair of M7 strut tower braces after beating it back flat as recomended.I already have the Koni FSD shocks so hopefully this problem is cured and it twill be driving sweet sweet again.:D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have corrected the mushroom by using a puller eg cutting a 1/4 inch plate that fits underneath installing a bolt with washer on top and tightening still had to give it a couple of taps but not hard and it looks pretty close to normal,the M7 plates fit straight on and sit flush,thought this was a better than clobbering it back into shape:D

·
I love my MINI
337 Posts
Help with puller...

I have corrected the mushroom by using a puller eg cutting a 1/4 inch plate that fits underneath installing a bolt with washer on top and tightening ...
I think i am going the same route, What shape does this puller had??

If I tighten a new camber plate and a strut tower plate to 'sandwich' the top mount, will it fix the mushroom?? or will it bend something else?.

The mushroom is not very big. I have used stock suspension for 4 years, normal street driving and 80,000km. But I am replacing shoks and I have noticed the bolts are not parallel.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Memo.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You cant use the parts to squeeze it you might damage the new parts,either a block of wood and a mallet or the puller the puller i made up is a plate that fits underneath the strut tower where the camber plate goes obviously make the plate as big as possible drill a 1/2 inch hole insert bolt put another plate on top of the open hole and tighten it until mushroom is gone,the metal on the tower is not that strong so it's fairly easy,just go slow with either method.

·
I love my MINI
337 Posts
Fixing strut tower

...the puller i made up is a plate that fits underneath the strut tower where the camber plate goes obviously make the plate as big as possible ....
Thanks for your help! I found a strut tower plate from mini-madness that fits under the metal of the tower.

They say that, when installing, their Plates will pull the metal back into alignment when one tightens the nuts. This seems consistent with the way you managed to correct your mushrooms.

I think this plates will help me correct the light mushrooms on my mini and help prevent they appear again.

Best!

Guillermo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts