MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In 2004 several vehicle manufacturers, including BMW, reacting to the drop in fuel quality in the USA, began asking oil companies to put certain additives, mostly detergents, in their fuel. This is also recommended by the EPA. They are calling these fuels Top Tier fuels and all grades from a company must meet the spec to obtain the designation.

To date, only these companies meet Top Tier spec: Chevron, Conoco, Phillips 66, QuipTrip, 76, Shell and Entec.

I have also noted in the past that manufactuers use Chevron when testing their vehicles for certification.
Don't what this really means in everday use, time will tell.

More info at www.toptiergas.com

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Interesting, but all I really care about is whose premium meets the spec. Does BMW even sell a car in the US that uses regular gas?

Of course the main reason I care about that is none of the companies listed sell gas in Ohio, and I'm just hoping the Premium I buy is good enough.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I also read about that gas a few weeks before getting my Mini. And then realized that none of those gas stations are in Wisconsin.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Top Tier rating applies to all grades, including premium. I thought Phillips and Conoco had stations in Wisconsin? I know they do in IL. We have Chevron and 76 out west, some Conoco.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
I know top tier is all grades - my point was I'm hoping that the companies in the midwest (and east for that matter, it seems most of those companies are in the western half) that haven't qualified yet just sell mediocre regular and midgrade, and their premium is good quality, but because they need to get all 3 to qualify, they're not on the list.

Especially given BP/Amoco's campaign for the new 'Ultimate' I'd hope its good enough, even if their other grades aren't.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand what you're getting at now. I hope some of the others will qualify, it's a fairly new criteria. Don't you have Conoco in the east and midwest?

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
I haven't gone all around the midwest, but I don't recall seeing Conoco anywhere in the midwest or east. Its pretty well BP/Amoco, Mobil, Marathon, Texaco, Shell, Exxon, Sunoco off the top of my head.

There's of course some smaller chains too, Sheetz, Hess, Stewarts, PDQ, etc.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Well, Quicktrip is in Iowa. Kwiktrip is in Wisconsin. Quicktrip has top tier gas, Kwiktrip has top tier doughnuts. :cool:

I did a search for all the top tier gas stations, and there are none within 50 miles of madison.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts