MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
formerly known as wsw
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wow, went to the dealers the other day because for some reason my car was making funny noises and they said that my diff was stuffed so had to replace the whole transmission
lucky i extended my warranty jsut a fw weeks ago because they fixed it..now it's like brand new and it didn't cost me a single cent! even got a few well made hot chocolates out of the deal! :) the important lesson is this...my service guy showed me what i would have had to pay if i hadn't extended my warranty...i'd have to have paid close to $8000 for the experience as the transmission itself costs ~$6900 and the labour cost $700!! and he added that this was warranty work wheras if it wasn't the labour would have been more! OUCH!!
so ppl, if you're wondering whether u should spend the extra few hundred dollars to extend your warranty an extra year...PAY IT :)
anyway have fun ppl take it easy

cheers
wsw :red:

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Hi,

I agree and think that the extended warranty is worth the money.

When I had my M3 the engine blew, needing replacement. That was covered under warranty, but the service guy told me the cost to BMW was $28K :eek: :eek: Thats one of the reasons I sold the car, as it's warranty was almost up.

However, I must say that 2 years standard warranty is for a so called quality car is an absolute disgrace :mad: The warranty should be at least 3 years standard. Even crappy korean cars offer 5 year warranty standard :confused:

Cheers

Robbo

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
robbo mcs said:
Hi,

I agree and think that the extended warranty is worth the money.

When I had my M3 the engine blew, needing replacement. That was covered under warranty, but the service guy told me the cost to BMW was $28K :eek: :eek: Thats one of the reasons I sold the car, as it's warranty was almost up.

However, I must say that 2 years standard warranty is for a so called quality car is an absolute disgrace :mad: The warranty should be at least 3 years standard. Even crappy korean cars offer 5 year warranty standard :confused:

Cheers

Robbo
It's 3 years in the UK :confused:

·
Smurfing Around
42,086 Posts
wsw said:
wow, went to the dealers the other day because for some reason my car was making funny noises and they said that my diff was stuffed so had to replace the whole transmission
lucky i extended my warranty jsut a fw weeks ago because they fixed it..now it's like brand new and it didn't cost me a single cent! even got a few well made hot chocolates out of the deal! :) the important lesson is this...my service guy showed me what i would have had to pay if i hadn't extended my warranty...i'd have to have paid close to $8000 for the experience as the transmission itself costs ~$6900 and the labour cost $700!! and he added that this was warranty work wheras if it wasn't the labour would have been more! OUCH!!
so ppl, if you're wondering whether u should spend the extra few hundred dollars to extend your warranty an extra year...PAY IT :)
anyway have fun ppl take it easy

cheers
wsw :red:
I extended my warranty. AN extra $660 for a years peace of mind is well worth it I think.

But what gets me is that they told you the labour costs would have been more :mad: So basically they will rip you off if they can, but they can't with their bosses :mad:

·
I love Lamp
339 Posts
robbo mcs said:
I
I agree 100%, they must not have much faith in their product if they can only give 2 years. I will most definatly be looking to extend the warrenty becuase quite simply I cannot afford to have a major part to be replaced. I am sure there are alot in this boat too.
:(

·
Smurfing Around
42,086 Posts
robbo mcs said:
Robbo
I think we all agree that 2 years is not enough. It must be the shortest warranty on any new car, even a lot of second-hand car dealers offer "3 Year Warranty"

·
my second passion, a tin!
729 Posts
It common practice with a lot of brands that the dealership gets paid less per hour for warranty work than what they charge for non-warranty work. I suspect the same occurs for Mini (BMW).

Maybe the reason sometime for trying to push back on expensive borderline warranty jobs

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that we didn't extend the warranty on ours. I actually meant too, and I was going to do it when we came in for warranty work, but by the time the part arrived it was too late :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

At any rate, I'm not too concerned. I believe that if something major mechanically went wrong they would at least help. It wouldn't look good if a car with 2.5 yo car with 30k on it needed 7k worth of repairs would it? I'm sure that MINI would agree with this and would help out ;)

At any rate, I hope that most of the things that can give trouble have already reared their head and have either been fixed, or at least reported. For example my steering column has been replaced so many times that it will still be under warranty :D :D I think trim stuff that fails will be my responsibility :(

Anyway, we'll know by August next year whether we have come out ahead or not :) Cross fingers :eek: :eek:

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
I've mentioned this in a separate thread regarding Korean and Japanese cars comes with much longer warranty than BMW/MINI. It seems like the norm is 3 years and often during sales period, they'll chuck in an 2 years extra. Even if you have to pay for it, take Honda for example, it was under $500 for an extra 2 years whereas MINI wants $660 for a year. Jokers :rolleyes:

smurfn said:
I think we all agree that 2 years is not enough. It must be the shortest warranty on any new car, even a lot of second-hand car dealers offer "3 Year Warranty"
Those 3 year warranty is in fact insurance, well sort of anyway, they cost $975 for the 3 years and you can have multiple claims but they all have a capped payout limit ie $7k engine failure they might just come to the party with $2k. Sure it's help but not too helpful in these extreme cases.

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
StuJones said:
It common practice with a lot of brands that the dealership gets paid less per hour for warranty work than what they charge for non-warranty work. I suspect the same occurs for Mini (BMW).

Maybe the reason sometime for trying to push back on expensive borderline warranty jobs
Hi,

That is correct. The standard labour unit on non-warranty work at my dealer is $125. For warranty work, however, they get much less (around $70-80 I think).

Cheers

Robbo

·
formerly known as wsw
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
swamos said:
At any rate, I'm not too concerned. I believe that if something major mechanically went wrong they would at least help. It wouldn't look good if a car with 2.5 yo car with 30k on it needed 7k worth of repairs would it? I'm sure that MINI would agree with this and would help out ;)
yes, indeed when i was talking to my service guy he said that even if i hadn't extended my warranty and i had to replace the gearbox, as it costs so much to replace, bmw would have most probably helped me out in regards to the cost...not sure how though

swamos said:
At any rate, I hope that most of the things that can give trouble have already reared their head and have either been fixed, or at least reported.
let's all hope so! :)

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
swamos said:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that we didn't extend the warranty on ours. I actually meant too, and I was going to do it when we came in for warranty work, but by the time the part arrived it was too late :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

At any rate, I hope that most of the things that can give trouble have already reared their head and have either been fixed, or at least reported. For example my steering column has been replaced so many times that it will still be under warranty :D :D I think trim stuff that fails will be my responsibility :(

Anyway, we'll know by August next year whether we have come out ahead or not :) Cross fingers :eek: :eek:

im in exactly the same position... except ill find out september next year if i came out on top! please please please come out on top:)

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
im going to extend my warranty soon so that im covered for the third year of my lease.. but thats the only reason why... just to keep the lease company happy.

Otherwise if i kill anything from modding it or racing I will just do the work myself.. im sick of paying rediculas rates at BMW workshops for dodgy work

·
my second passion, a tin!
729 Posts
but they give me a lovely cup of coffee and a lift to the station :rolleyes: (never have a loan car available........have to book them months in advance:rolleyes: )

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
Hahahahah yeah and let 19 year old mechanics work on the car. Leaving 3 bolts out of the Geabox, 2 from the front bumper.. and so on.. i have inspected my car after every service to find things dammaged or missing bolts etc.. I bring this to the service managers attention every time... I told them last time i was not going to use them again.. funny the cars been so much better being serviced elsewhere. Its amazing the difference with a good mechanic who checks everything and is not run of his feet.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
swamos said:

Be careful Steve, I've known a lot of "you'd expect them to cover that" stories, that have ended in tears for people, Most Manufacturers will avoid warranty work if they can, apart from the cost, there is the roll on effect, if they do it for one thay have to do it for others. Its almost like an admission the problem was partly their fault.

My 2 years of warranty runs out in Jan 05 and given the ongoing problems I am having with budgies under the bonnet (Yep even the new Supercharger hasn't fixed it) I'm wondering if i can now extend my warranty now? Anyone know?

Vic

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
the Service Department should have all the details.. they charge you an amount and they make a minor change in the records for your car in there system and print you a reciept... all done

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
Mini2v said:
Be careful Steve, I've known a lot of "you'd expect them to cover that" stories, that have ended in tears for people, Most Manufacturers will avoid warranty work if they can, apart from the cost, there is the roll on effect, if they do it for one thay have to do it for others. Its almost like an admission the problem was partly their fault.

My 2 years of warranty runs out in Jan 05 and given the ongoing problems I am having with budgies under the bonnet (Yep even the new Supercharger hasn't fixed it) I'm wondering if i can now extend my warranty now? Anyone know?

Vic
There is nothing I can do about it now anyway. :(

All you have to do to extend your warranty is to give your dealer $660 before you've owned the car for 25 months, and you are right for another year. :)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
swamos said:
There is nothing I can do about it now anyway. :(

All you have to do to extend your warranty is to give your dealer $660 before you've owned the car for 25 months, and you are right for another year. :)
Thanks Canberra Cooper S and Steve, sounds like it might be money well spent, and this from a person who has advised 15,000 new 4wdrivers not to get their 4WDrive serviced by the dealer :eek:

But I have an awful feeling that my singing budgies are caused by a malody a lot deaper than everyone thinks.

Vic

1 - 20 of 52 Posts