MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If new wheel bolts 90 if wheels been on/off a few times add 5-10 ,if wet installed(lubed)add another 5-10,if longer bolts fitted ignore the previous,if the bolts are plated.....you thought it was an easy question;) the previous posts are about right -I will not be held responsible if your wheels fall off:D

·
Registered
205 Posts
MINIMANIAUK said:
If new wheel bolts 90 if wheels been on/off a few times add 5-10 ,if wet installed(lubed)add another 5-10,if longer bolts fitted ignore the previous,if the bolts are plated.....you thought it was an easy question;) the previous posts are about right -I will not be held responsible if your wheels fall off:D
It's been a while and I don't lube the threads or recommend it, just make sure their clean and remove any burr's but Torque is about the frictional force and the clamping force induced by the stretching of the lug bolt. If you lube the threads and still use the same torque you will be stretching the bolt more, not good, this is what holds the wheel on the car, not the frictional force. You need to reduce the torque, not increase it if you lube.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi just wanted to know what the torque spec was for a cooper s / cooper works auto transmission fly wheel as i used 90 NM as advised and i broke the bolt any help would be appreciated thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Agree if threads are greased in any way the friction is lower, even a thread lock will act as a lubricant hence increasing the physical end tourqe value.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts