MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
MINI VANILLI
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my PW cooper's bonnet was chipped on the freeway today. actually two chips. i applied the mini factory touch up paint. about 4 hours later it started to rain like crazy. with this ruin the small amount of touch up i put on or should it be dry by now and be ok in the rain. it is supposed to rain here for the next few days so i had to put on the touch up today. with the paint wash off in the rain? does it need a few days to dry? i do not have a garage.

also will the bonnet rust if there are any small exposed areas of metal. or is the metal treated at the factory to not rust for a number of years.

·
I'm not an addict.
146 Posts
flav said:
my PW cooper's bonnet was chipped on the freeway today. actually two chips. i applied the mini factory touch up paint. about 4 hours later it started to rain like crazy. with this ruin the small amount of touch up i put on or should it be dry by now and be ok in the rain. it is supposed to rain here for the next few days so i had to put on the touch up today. with the paint wash off in the rain? does it need a few days to dry? i do not have a garage.

also will the bonnet rust if there are any small exposed areas of metal. or is the metal treated at the factory to not rust for a number of years.

Hello flav,

I think you should be ok. Although it takes several hours for the paint to completely dry, it takes 10-15 minutes for the paint to dry "to the touch".

--
paco

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
...and 30 minutes to "lock." If it rained four hours after you applied it, you're fine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Also depends on the ambient temp.

Most touch-up paints say "not to be applied below 50F", or something like that. Not sure about the MINI though, not used mine yet.....highs are in the low 30s now :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts