MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Uranus is composed of gas
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm driving down the freeway yesterday morning when I hear an incredibly loud THUD. I get to work and see that I must have been hit by the largest flying rock ever. It hit the bonnet hard enough to put a very large (size of a finger nail) chip in the paint, but (thank god!) didn't leave a dent.

In my haste to cover the chip before my husband saw it and accused me of driving too close behind trucks (which I DON'T do), I got out my liquid yellow touch up paint and proceeded to do the poorest touch up job ever. It looks worse than the chip! Like a big blob of yellow finger nail polish or something.

How do I remove the touch up paint without damaging my beautiful little car??? And if this stuff can be removed, how does one go about doing a decent touch up job? Help? :eek:

· 2MINIAX
12 Posts
I also had a similar problem and did a terrible job patching up a chip. I used some Goof Off paint remover and it removed my patch up job without hurting the rest of the paint. I than took my time and added layers of paint with a toothpick to repair the chip along with some clearcoat. You cannot even notice it now. Good luck.

· M5 Extraordinare!
7,034 Posts
What kind of touch up paint did you use? I got this http://www.autovisuals.com/ and it works a lot better. Granted its not perfect since a chip is a chip but its a lot less noticable than the paint brush system I've used before on my older car which like you said left blobs of paint...

· Registered
1,567 Posts
The trick is to not let the brush build up with a blob before you touch the car. Get rid of anything that looks blob like (or any blob that will form by gravity from paint running down the stick attached to the brush) and then touch up your chip using thin layer(s) before the paint starts to harden on the brush.

· Registered
2,559 Posts
That blob of paint will be very soft compared to the rest of the bonnet for a few days so any
paint restorer will remove it. Even after a few days paint restorer will remove it, just takes
longer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.