MINI Cooper Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Tow bar

Hi,Shedracer, If you look at your battery there is a cover over the cable where it passes through the buklhead.
Unclip this cover and you will see a large gromit which you can pass your live fused feed through.
I ran my feed under the door trim and then through the body to the boot.
From what I can remember the brake and side light share the same bulbs, and you will need to access the fog light feed and the right and left indicator feeds.
If you are using using a seven pin plug you can ignore the reverse light.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by, the" take away hook"? but mine didn't have one.
I wouldn't recomend anyone fitting a bypass relay themselves unless they are confidant about working on modern vehicle electrics especially multiplex systems.

Hope this has been some help.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry I can't help, when I fitted my towbar I found an American website showing how to fit one of their own towbars, this helped locate the various clips and fasteners.
Mini's seem to be held together with a large array of flimsy plastic clips and I broke a few whilst removing some of the trim panels!, however they only cost a few pence to replace.
You can get BMW CD rom manuals on ebay for a few pounds which will help or if you are lucky your local parts dept might let you look at the parts computer.

·
Back In A Clubman 23yr On
194 Posts
Got the Clubbie earning its keep this weekend :D

Collected some 3/4 of a tonne of rubber playground chippings for the new garden climbing frame area..........always gets a few raised eyebrows when people see the Clubbie towing my trailer about. :p

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Looks very impressive, NumptyBoy - we can't wait to get our Clubman D, hopefully by late Feb or early Mar.....

We went for the factory-fit tow-bar - the cost was substantially less than the dealer retro-fit option.

We just wish MINI would also allow us to order a tow-bar for our new Cabrio....but that's another story :confused:

Ian

·
Back In A Clubman 23yr On
194 Posts
Looks very impressive, NumptyBoy - we can't wait to get our Clubman D, hopefully by late Feb or early Mar.....

We went for the factory-fit tow-bar - the cost was substantially less than the dealer retro-fit option.

We just wish MINI would also allow us to order a tow-bar for our new Cabrio....but that's another story :confused:

Ian
"Factory fit" includes uprated rear suspension.....not sure that the dealer fit would??

Yeah...I was following your thread on the R57 towbar....because the future may have held an R57 option for me EXCEPT I need a towbar on my vehicle :rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
"Factory fit" includes uprated rear suspension.....not sure that the dealer fit would??

Yeah...I was following your thread on the R57 towbar....because the future may have held an R57 option for me EXCEPT I need a towbar on my vehicle :rolleyes::rolleyes:
MINI tell me it's due to a lack of demand - maybe you should advise your dealer of your demand! ;) (Every litle helps....)

Or should we start a petition?

By the same token, maybe one day there will be a diesel cabrio.....;)

·
Registered
523 Posts
"isn't approved" ???? by whom? I got the same line from MINIUSA , but here's the deal, I used to drive Honda Civics and with my '93 I used to tow a 17 ft Bayliner Capri speedboat weighing roughly a thousand pounds with no trouble at all. The tear drop trailer I was proposing to tow was 450 lbs. The Clubman outweighs that civic by a lot and has a whole lot more horsepower too, so I'm not really sure why this should have become the party line. I don't doubt at all that MINI doesn't approve of towing with their cars, but I do question the logic based on my own experience. I suspect it has a lot more to do with warrantee coverage and a serious case of covering the corporate ***** rather than any real life problems associated with towing.
Isnt it to do with the rear bumper / twin side exhausts? Mini would need to pay again for all the testing and type approval on the "S" since the rear end & towbar would be different.

This would cost a whole lot of money (think hundreds of thousands towards a million) and for only a small take-up (since the S is a hot hatch and most towers would pick a diesel.

Its annoying as it means I cant tow with my S :(

41 - 49 of 49 Posts