MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MINI2 Irregular
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just added 18'' Rims with Toyo Proxies to my MC with SS. The grip that you get around corners is 100 times more than I am used to. :D

However the other day it rained hard and it was my first time in the wet with these tyres. Expecting them to handle the rain with ease :rolleyes: , but I found the car wanted to whellspin and understeer at every oppurtunity. It felt like my oldskool Pirelli RF's Could have handeled better. :(

Point is... Has anybody else experienced the same thing in the rain with the proxies? :confused:

·
Passion is Motoring
7 Posts
Toyo Proxes 4 Experiences

Which version of the Proxes are you running? I dropped the Proxes 4 on 17" rims on my MCS , replacing those sloppy runflats. The difference is unbelievable. We recently weather the remnants of two hurricanes (think lots and lots of rain per hour). These tires provided the wet traction I expected. There's a nice wide open right angle turn on the way to work that allows room to play with the traction while pulling some G-force. I hit it hard during the ensuing rain and never felt the slightest twitch out of line. The water sprayed up one side of the car (as usual) and I hugged that turn so well I gave it extra throttle in an attempt to put some splin-n-slide between me and the road. The tires stuck and off I went. Now that's motoring!

·
mr meanboy
36 Posts
PortRhombus said:
Just added 18'' Rims with Toyo Proxies to my MC with SS. The grip that you get around corners is 100 times more than I am used to. :D

However the other day it rained hard and it was my first time in the wet with these tyres. Expecting them to handle the rain with ease :rolleyes: , but I found the car wanted to whellspin and understeer at every oppurtunity. It felt like my oldskool Pirelli RF's Could have handeled better. :(

Point is... Has anybody else experienced the same thing in the rain with the proxies? :confused:
What size did you have on your MC? Keep in mind that the bigger the foot print of the tire the most chances of hydroplaning. A narrow tire will channel out the water much better then a wide tire that will just sit on the water.

·
Sitting on a park bench..
1,183 Posts
CyberClyde said:
Which version of the Proxes are you running? I dropped the Proxes 4 on 17" rims on my MCS , replacing those sloppy runflats. The difference is unbelievable. We recently weather the remnants of two hurricanes (think lots and lots of rain per hour). These tires provided the wet traction I expected. There's a nice wide open right angle turn on the way to work that allows room to play with the traction while pulling some G-force. I hit it hard during the ensuing rain and never felt the slightest twitch out of line. The water sprayed up one side of the car (as usual) and I hugged that turn so well I gave it extra throttle in an attempt to put some splin-n-slide between me and the road. The tires stuck and off I went. Now that's motoring!
This sounds great...do you have DSC? Was it on / off during this? Did you see it blinking at all?

·
Registered
585 Posts
205/40/17 TS1's - 14K miles and 4.5mm remaining all round - tyres rotated at 5k intervals
great grip in dry, good in wet, cheap (£55 each) Will by again

Gerry:)

·
Passion is Motoring
7 Posts
To DSC or not to DSC

Aqualung said:
This sounds great...do you have DSC? Was it on / off during this? Did you see it blinking at all?
The first attempt was with DSC on and I was able to get it to blink once. (Ever notice how it freaks out if you actually catch air - for instance over raised railroad tracks?)

We just had another nice rain that made everything slippery so I decided to try with DSC off. Had this been a highly traveled, well oiled road surface, I think I could have slid across all 4 lanes at about 60 MPH. I was able to get a little sideways motion without DSC. Revving it hard allowed me some fun once I hit the stripes delineating lanes. I enjoyed it but never once doubted the performance of these tires.

The more miles I drive, the more times I attempt this particular turn, the happier I am I chose these tires.

·
Sitting on a park bench..
1,183 Posts
CyberClyde said:
The first attempt was with DSC on and I was able to get it to blink once. (Ever notice how it freaks out if you actually catch air - for instance over raised railroad tracks?)

We just had another nice rain that made everything slippery so I decided to try with DSC off. Had this been a highly traveled, well oiled road surface, I think I could have slid across all 4 lanes at about 60 MPH. I was able to get a little sideways motion without DSC. Revving it hard allowed me some fun once I hit the stripes delineating lanes. I enjoyed it but never once doubted the performance of these tires.

The more miles I drive, the more times I attempt this particular turn, the happier I am I chose these tires.
great, thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.