MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi all,

Just want to share my experience with my newly fitted R1Rs. Some of you might see it from the photo forum that I recently went back to 16s as the 17 MCS wheels are just too heavy and the Dunlop Sport Maxx tires were lack of feedbacks. The price seems quite decent to me, they are a little less than $65 quid each and according to my garage, they are only slightly worse than the famous Advan AD07; so I bite the bullet! :rolleyes:

Waited till late tonight to have a spirited run with my younger brother in his Type R (FD2); me in my Mini Cabrio and him in his monster Type R, obviously he was cruising most of the time behind me while I was pushing like a dog! But my point was not trying to outrun him! :redface:

The whole point was to break in the tires more than anything obviously :wink:

Here are the before and after pics :smile:

BEFORE

AFTER

I would recommend the R1Rs to anyone, they are impressive to say the least. I was running 32 psi in front and 30 psi in rear; the tires just bites the road like no other street tires I've tried before. It has enormous feedback which is very satisfying; it gave me extra confidence to hit the throttle earlier exiting corners and the car just feels more alive. It definitely improved the communication between me and the car by a great deal. Just like the R-compound tires, its got those crazy railing noise! The only difference is that these tires only make the noise when you are working them, whereas the R tires are noisy 24/7 :frown:

I will give another report when I get to run on the wet, this is it for now. ;)

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
I run toyo's on my track car and there much better than anything else I've tried, good to see a report for them on a MINI :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I run toyo's on my track car and there much better than anything else I've tried, good to see a report for them on a MINI :D
I was a bit ignorant when the R1Rs were first recommended to me, simply for the brand name and thought I would prefer Bridgestone (RE001) or Advan (AD07). As of now, I can't be more thankful or satisfied with these rubbers and quite frankly I don't care whether the other tires are better anymore ;)

The roads around my home are some of the best mountain roads in Hong Kong. There are ricers coming in every weekend nights and there are the exotic gangs coming in every other sunday mornings. Its a fun yet tricky road, if you can keep it tidy and smooth; its one hell of a drive. But if you try to be heroic, it will bite you back and you will pay the price. Therefore, good rubber is more crucial than anything for me :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts