MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's fall in New England - last night was the coldest night thus far, down to freezing!

When I hopped in my Clubman this morning to go to work, it sounded 2 alarms:
1) Freezing (snowflake) alarm, which was not suprising
2) Tire pressure (flat) alalrm, which WAS suprising

So I thought - it's cold outside, the tire pressure will be low anyway, but I figured I'd check the pressure. Sure enough - all the tires were right about 27 PSI. I'm not sure what it should be - the manual doesn't list this (at least visibly) and I didn't have the time to look around the car for the proper inflation. 27 PSI seems a tad low, but I've never owned a MINI (or runflats) before so it seemed the be plausible.

Anyway, I reset the alarm (per the manual) and off I went - it didn't come back on again.

So my question is - is it normal for the TPM alarm to go off on cold days like this? How sensitive is it to pressure fluctuations? What is the proper pressure for runflats?

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
There should be a tire pressure sticker on the driver door frame, just behind your left elbow when you're sitting in the car

The new TPM system measures actual pressure, so it will alarm if the pressure's are too low. I'd guess your tires should be 34-36, so they are 15%-20% down which would be enough to trigger the alarm.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I rode home and broke out the compressor - but I checked the pressure and it's 32 PSI, RIGHT where it should be according to the label inside the door.

My drive is about 1 hr one way, all highway, so the tires likely heated up quite a bit (and it warmed up outside). So, do I have this wonderful warning light to look forward to all winter?

·
Lightweight
410 Posts
Well I rode home and broke out the compressor - but I checked the pressure and it's 32 PSI, RIGHT where it should be according to the label inside the door.
32 PSI is the cold pressure: what it should read in the morning before you drive the car.

·
.....like a Cheshire cat.
430 Posts
I run mine at 34 psi, but the tyre on the rear drivers side appears to have a slow leak (I think the seal is not right rather than it having a puncture) and I am having to 'top it up' once a week.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my SA returned a call this morning and he said that I could bump it up to 35PSI (warm). He said he runs his @ 40 PSI but I don't think I'd go that far

1 - 6 of 6 Posts