MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Retired and relaxed
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A reminder that the SCDA has room for more drivers in all run groups at New Hampshire International Speedway on Monday, August 9 and Tuesday August 10.
This is a great track for Novice class first timers. Lots of turns and top speed is only about 90 on the straight. If you have been considering it now is your chance.
Check out www.scda1.com and tell Ian Prout I sent you:) (NO, I don't get compensated. But, I would love to see more MINI buddies there. I'll buy you lunch if you come on the 10th)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Steve,

I may just take you up on your offer for lunch!! Are you staying overnight the night before?

I was thinking of getting up there before the end of the season......

Cape Cod MINI said:
A reminder that the SCDA has room for more drivers in all run groups at New Hampshire International Speedway on Monday, August 9 and Tuesday August 10.
This is a great track for Novice class first timers. Lots of turns and top speed is only about 90 on the straight. If you have been considering it now is your chance.
Check out www.scda1.com and tell Ian Prout I sent you:) (NO, I don't get compensated. But, I would love to see more MINI buddies there. I'll buy you lunch if you come on the 10th)

·
Play On!
1,023 Posts
Other Dates

Steve,

I'd love to go but have to work that week.:mad:

Was there with the White Mtn. chapter of BMWCCA a week ago in the rain ~ great fun! :D

Will you be going to the Sept. NHIS or the November Lime Rock events? :confused:

Pete

·
Registered
366 Posts
Pete,

Speaking for Steve, yes he will be at NHIS September 27, and Lime Rock November 5.

The reason I'm taking the liberty of answering for him, is that I am also signed up for November 5 along with a few other MINI owners, and I'd like to encourage you to join us!!

·
Retired and relaxed
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tontobird said:
Steve,

I may just take you up on your offer for lunch!! Are you staying overnight the night before?

I was thinking of getting up there before the end of the season......
Hi M.,
I'm driving up that morning. Hope you can make it. If you go up Monday your best bet for lodging is in Concord. I got a nice room for about $60- using Priceline when I was there in June.
Gavin is coming too. Excellent.
Pete, I'll bet the BMWCCA in the rain was fun!

·
gadgetmeister
6,220 Posts
What a blast!

Just back from the SCDA track day :D :cool: :D
What a blast. I'm hooked. Here are some numbers from the day;
Runs in novice group; 4
Miles covered at the track; 70
Miles lost from 'distance to next service' indicator; 125 :D
Average speed at the track; 34.3mph
Average fuel consumption at the track; 13.8mpg
Average speed on journey home; 60.2mph (I mean 55 officer!)
Average fuel consumption on journey home; 33.6mpg :)

Good to see everyone there, Steve & Michelle on the track and Ed, John and Rick as MINI groupies..! :)
Pictures will follow - I'll put them on my .mac web site, because everyone knows Macs are better, Steve ;) :D
Here ya go :) http://homepage.mac.com/gavinmckeown/MINIs/PhotoAlbum100.html

·
Play On!
1,023 Posts
Well, you certainly had a great day for racing, er, driver ed.

Want to see what it's like in the rain? Go to: http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?EventFrame?event=04FT00190B My MCS is the red/white one with the rally lights and stripes. (Actually, it's the only MINI in run group 3.) Not aerodynamic but what the hey.

Had a great day. Only 9 showed up for my run group and for the last run (of 4) there were only three of us out on the course!

The same outfit was at the SCDA school yesterday and today: http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?storefront?b=1&c=04FT but the photos aren't online yet.

Track days are great! Learning how to faster made me realize I need to stop quicker, too. Friday, I'm installing EBC rotors, pads and braided brake lines. Can't figure out how to install the red radiator hoses, so they may wait.

Play On!

·
Twi§ted Roads
7,956 Posts
Had a great time watching you all run. My on track time with an instructor was a blast. Turns out his Miata and the one he was duelling with were both prepped by a guy I know from Acworth, NH who does all the setups for factory Miata Spec racers in the Northeast.

Gavin, are your pants dry yet???
Steve, how was the torque on that driver-side front after two runs with the DSC off?
Duckman, are you sure you'll never get in a race-prepped car again?

See y'all again on 11/5.

·
wherever you go...
1,617 Posts
Great pictures everyone. Looks like a good time -- I'm jealouus.

I noticed a Sunbeam in the professional photos. Was it a Tiger? My first sports car was a Sunbeam Alpine that looked just like that. People confused me with Maxwell Smart all the time. :D

·
Retired and relaxed
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actual Size said:
Steve, how was the torque on that driver-side front after two runs with the DSC off?
I had to break a wheel bolt to get them off! Arrgghh:( New wheel hub goes on Friday morning.
I was dialed in on my last session. It was amazing. Everything clicked. They told me to ge to Intermediate 2 next time. Got great accolades from Bill and Ian Prout. Bill Prout said he would like to ride with me for a session next time. Made me feel pretty damn good I must admit:)
I did have to bail out of the last session with about two laps remaining. I didn't know I was so low on fuel and had fuel starvation as I was braking into the downhill left just before the esses. Had to coast into the pits. Car was OK when level. Range said "0" and then went to "-- -- --". I guess that means less than zero!! I did make it to the gas station though and put 13.6 gallons in!
Anyone going to come up to NHIS on September 27th?

·
Registered
366 Posts
As always, SCDA put on a great event. Besides having excellent instruction, they are just so darn nice!!

Being the second of a 2 day event, and being up at NHIS, it was not at all crowded. Everyone was pretty laid back, the day was without incident, and we got lots of track time with tons of room on track!

Except for the fact that it's a bit out of the way, I don't understand why people don't go up there. It's a fun, fun, fun track! Great for MINI's and other super nimble cars. The facilities are also really nice, great garage areas, spacious, well-lit bathrooms with showers, and a nice little track restaurant with great prices.

Yes, a couple of the guys commented to me how fast Steve was, including Bill.

Steve did you ever ride with Bill? OMG, talk about taking a car to the edge and reining it back in! I didn't believe such things could be done with a car and still somehow maintain control. Riding with an instructor in general is thrilling and educational, but riding with Bill was unbelievable! And Steve, he's gonna ride with me too, next time! I think he was impressed that I enjoyed his driving so much, instead of being nervous.

More to come later....

·
Registered
366 Posts
Gavin and Jeff, it was great to meet you. Ed, John, Rick and Steve it was wonderfull to see you again.

O.K., more on my day. I brought my stock MINI as my modded MINI was in for it's second service. If I'd been more organized, I'd have gotten my 17" S-lites with Yokahama AVS ES100's onto the car I planned to use. But.....

So, my choices were 16" V-spokes with Dunlop run-flats or 15" holies with the Continental all season touring tires. Hmmmmm.....figured it was better not to have the run-flats. I've run on both in the past and remembered that the 15" had done better. However that was in the period of track days 2-4, now I'm at 11.

Well, a little bit of background. Four track days before NHIS I decided to lower my seat by greater than 50%. Thought it was better to be closer to the center of gravity and I didn't need to see over my bumper as I'm supposed to be looking way ahead. Well, that's true, to a degree.

I'd had a really great day my last time at Lime Rock, but really struggled with my 2 days at Pocono (not difficult tracks) and my 2 days at VIR. Talking at length with my instructor at VIR about why I was having trouble with a few things, I realized that I didn't have a good feel for the boundaries of my car in relation to the track. Took me a little while to realize that it may very well be that the lowered seat was causing this.

So I raised my seat back to the original position for the track day at NHIS. Well, I was still flailing about out there in my first session. My poor instructor. However, it was my first day on that track, and it's highly technical, 12 turns in 1.6 miles. By the last few laps of my first session I was finally remembering what was coming up and where I was supposed to be on the track.

http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/images/NHIS/newhamps2.gif

O.K., so the tires. Ughhh. Though I'd had them set to 37psi cold (fronts) and 32 rear, I was getting terrible roll in the front. No grip, squealing like mad. Well, last spring I would've been clueless as to what was happening, but I have learned a FEW things.

Didn't make any adjustments and went out for my second session. I did much better, but of course the tires were just worse and getting slippery. Plus brake fade (remember this is my stock MINI). I just had to be very aware of how the brakes were responding.

I came back in, feeling better about how I was handling the track, but really frustrated with the tires. My instructor and I had already discussed the tire situation and were getting ready to check the hot pressure before making any adjustments. Then Steve (CapeCodMINI) came to the rescue.

This generous soul told me to use his street tires, a very respectable Bridgestone Potenza S03 on the 16" V-spokes. (He was running R-compounds.) Well, I was already melting my other tires and pointed this out to him, but he said to go right ahead and melt his.

Well the whole MINI crew got to work swapping our wheels. Steve, John, Ed, Rick, Jeff and me. Thanks guys, but especially THANK YOU, STEVE!!

Well, needless to say, session 3 was MUCH better. My confidence was up since my car was responding to my inputs, thanks to the wheels/tires. I actually passed a number of cars during this session. My instructor was enjoying himself much more as well.

Before session 4 I asked my instructor to keep reminding me to look ahead, to look into the next turn. I made a real concentrated effort to do so. It is sooo important, but such a hard habit to develop 100% while on track. Well, I had a fantastic session. It's amazing how much more smooth one is if they can stay with that. About halfway to two thirds through the session, I realized that Steve had not passed me!! Ha, ha, that was an accomplishment as he was most definitely one of the fastest, if not the fastest in our group.

It's been since early June that I ended the day with this level of a feeling of accomplishment.

Looking ahead: imperative!
Tires: very important!
Seat height: a seemingly little thing, but I do believe that it contributed to me having a great day on track.

Hope you enjoyed my long and detailed recap!

·
Retired and relaxed
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, enjoyed your recap of the day very much.
I was glad to let you fry my tires for a bit. What are MINI buddies for anyway?:)
By the time I got to Cape Cod the feeling that my tires were actually helicoptor rotors went away:p
Interesting about your seat height. I keep mine all they way down but quite far forward.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
13 Participants
tontobird
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing