MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone here considering having the Tracker system installed in their new MINI?

I am seriously thinking about it for a couple of reasons, namely..

1) Peace of mind
2) Insurance Premiums savings
3) Stopping any thieving scum from spending too much time enjoying MY car

Incidentally, does anyone know roughly how much the insurance premiums come down by on average?

I got an email of my dealer the other day offering the tracker system and installation for £299, seems reasonable, though I suppose this would be subject to a subscription to the network @ £99 for a year or £299 for life?

Andy

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I am not bothering with it for the mini as I have been told that the security and alarm is good enough to stop anyone driving the car away (Hopes I havn't tempted fate with this!!)

I had it on the Elise though and it was very good, got it tested once a month and they phoned within 20 seconds of the car moving.

If you go for it go for the Guard and Recover option, where they send a security guard to keep an eye on your car after it is located as the police only stick a notice on it and leave it wide open to chance theives.

Best to go for the 1 off five year payment as you can transfer this with the car and I am sure the next owner will be glad you had it
Never saved a lot on insurance premiums though

·
Registered
546 Posts
An_S_4_Me said:
Incidentally, does anyone know roughly how much the insurance premiums come down by on average?
Typically between 5% and 10% but not all insurers offer a discount for tracking systems.

Some also cap their security discounts so that combinations of devices do not increase the discount beyond a certain point. For example, if you fitted a Cat 1 system, used a Cat 3 device and had a tracking system installed, you'd still only qualify for 10% off the premium.

·
Registered
208 Posts
tracker is only worth it if you are going to have two units fitted,,

tracker is a deterrant but if someone wants to steal your mini for a joyride then they are only going to be using it for a short while, if they get caught they get caught most are underage and police cant do ****, slap on the wrists. which then kinda seems a waste of money, however they are good if your car is stolen to order because then the real theives should effectivly get caught,

but even then i would have one at the front and one in the rear, profesionaly theif will look fro one, (possibly miss second) also if your car ends up being cut, (split up to two different mini's then u can recover both ends. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
mini-mini said:
tracker is only worth it if you are going to have two units fitted,,

tracker is a deterrant but if someone wants to steal your mini for a joyride then they are only going to be using it for a short while, if they get caught they get caught most are underage and police cant do ****, slap on the wrists. which then kinda seems a waste of money
you're forgetting that when the joyrider abandons a car, it can be days or weeks before the police find it. With tracker fitted, you might recover it before its vandalised or re-stolen.

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
Rebbit said:

you're forgetting that when the joyrider abandons a car, it can be days or weeks before the police find it. With tracker fitted, you might recover it before its vandalised or re-stolen.
As I said in the previous thread - If you have basic Tracker it relies 100% on a passing police vehicle picking up the tracker signal - If it's abandoned in a field / underground car park or somewhere other than McD's the police are unlikely to spot it

Only the GPS based tracking systems will know exactly where your care is and even then UG car parks and anywhere without a GPS signal it will be safe -

·
Registered
48 Posts
quoted from this site: ttp://www.checkmate.com.my/checkmate_system.html

"GPS (Global Positioning System) based tracking solution requires a GPS receiver to interact with the GPS satellites to locate. This receiver/antenna requires line of sight from at least three satellites to triangulate on its location. The GPS system is ideal for outdoor use and in wide open spaces where "line of sight" is not inhibited. The system however will not function indoors, in buildings or in basement car parks. Whilst GPS based tracking is superior in technology and accuracy, it has several disadvantages.

The Checkmate System does not need GPS technology for locating and does nor require line of sight. It uses a combination of wireless communication technologies including GSM (Global System for Mobile) and RF (Radio Frequency) transmission. This means that the Checkmate System is capable of locating vehicles under bridges or in basement car parks."

looks like it's best to go with a private enterprise on this with money back guarantee. sure something similar exists in Europe, America, etc. by the way, the system did foil car thieves based on an article posted in the newspaper on January 11, 2002
the story - http://www.star-motoring.com/research/review.asp?file=features/2002/checkmt.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Racer said:

As I said in the previous thread - If you have basic Tracker it relies 100% on a passing police vehicle picking up the tracker signal - If it's abandoned in a field / underground car park or somewhere other than McD's the police are unlikely to spot it
Have you any idea what the range is ?

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
Rebbit said:

Have you any idea what the range is ?
It will depend on environment ie in a city 500yds - in the open 2-3 miles BUT it is only directional ie the tracking vehicle only knows if it is north south east or west -

As I said in the other thread car thiefs park potentially trackered vehicles close to places the police are known to drive past but hidden that way if they have gone undetected in a few days the thief knows that they do not have tracker

·
Registered
13 Posts
Racer said:

It will depend on environment ie in a city 500yds - in the open 2-3 miles BUT it is only directional ie the tracking vehicle only knows if it is north south east or west -

500yds seems very low. Where did you get that figure from ? There's no mention of the range on their web site.

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
I thought the "Active" Tracker knew where your car was at all times, for instance, say the car moves from A to B, where B is an underground car park, all they have to do is see how its moved in the last 24 hours from A to wherever, when the signal is lost in the car park they know its there.

Not sure any of what I've written makes sense. What I'm trying to say is they track and record your cars movements for like the last 24 hours or so. Thats what i thought anyway.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
In the US, there is a similar system called LoJack to your Tracker.

New in Canada is a system called Boomerang. It is based on different technology than the LoJack or Tracker. It will be available in the US soon as well. My MINI dealer will be fitting a Boomerang2 unit to our MINI before delivery.

If you're interested, check out http://www.boomerangtracking.com

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yesterday a Mitsibishi Evo was stolen about 20 miles outside Belfast. Tracker company contacted police, who used their monitoring equipment, and gave running commentary as to its location. The Evo was located in Belfast. Next to it was a stolen Porsche. Over £100, 000 of car recovered and 2 arrests - not bad for a backward police force everyone complains about!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts