MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a mini cooper s 2004 to do track days with where I do i start for upgrades and also someone has suggested getting some 16" MG wheels whats the benefits to this?

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
trouble with that question is everyone drives differently, ie some people are more need a strong front end and like a loose rear end ,, good fun on a front wheel drive cars that can spin their fronts ups on the throttle in first 3 gears at least as can then steer with right foot more ie put throttle on will go straight and take foot off throws it to over steer and throttle on under steer,, and this little window where not much slide lives is where the grip lives ,, cars with electronic steering destroy this old school way of driving and setting a car up, then theres the set up where throw big tyres and big grip so both ends have same grip,, hmmm believe me this is the mother of all set ups until it gives no notice and lets go its nearly impossible to catch and drift it out of of the let go point,, hence why most cars that handle well have a very slight understeer point just before the rear gives up say or front depending on how its set up,, also spring preload and softness and rebounds are the very fine points of adjustments ,, ie to hard on spring rates and will just bang over the top of the bumps and evil handling even worst with grippy tyres that get to a point where total let go no warning, then its a driver i could set a car up how i read that point of understeer to other steer and you might feel it but not how the person has felt it and set it up etc,
this all said in past when i have set all kinds up for track days etc i have always fitted fully adjustable suspensions to can change the camber and caster track toe in and out has a big effect, ie slight toe out will cause a more understeer effect on the edge where toe in makes a very knife edge over steer effect,, this can be tuned out by caster and camber to a point camber is pushing the forces from the arms more inline with the springs and shocks but has a effect on tyre wear and tyre temps so does toe in and out etc, ie can over heat wear tyres in no times ,, bets to use known good suspension kits from makers who have made them from track uses then its set car up soft and keep adjusting things until it feels right then go past the point to fully understand the bracket of what your adjusting ie ref point beginning middle and end etc,
also a key point is un sprung weights on each corner ie anything that is the wheel side of suspension so hut and brake callipers and arms and wheels all have effect to how to control suspension travel and rebound and spring rates etc , lighter the better ,, good brand a must koni one of the best ones link below
or better still
fitting such kits is only the first step setting them up takes time and a feel you get when car lets go and how easy to read this point and keep pushing that point to go faster

1 - 2 of 2 Posts