MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, is anyone else shocked at the price I have been offered (£11,000) against a new works from my dealer? I paid £18,200 for Swiper two and a half years ago and he has only done 11,600 miles!
I thought minis were supposed to hold their price?
He has side sills, harmon kardon, darkened glass, chili pack, lsd, works brakes and is in A1 condition, so I felt a bit shocked to say the least, or am I being too optimistic?

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Seems fair, you've lost less than 40% on the car over two and a half years, and trying to sell at a time when the used car market is taking a big hit like so many other things are.

MINI's hold their price better than most other cars from new, you'll generally get around 60% of the value of the base model and chilli pack, other options do not add much else come trade in time other than making it easier to sell on sometimes.

·
Is over to the dark side
515 Posts
Is yours a works?

I bought my 05 JCW from a dealer in May for just over £13K.

I think with the housing market and economy in the way it is, people are feeling a little tighter with the wallet. Thus dealers know they have to be aggressive with used prices whilst still maintaining their margin. Probably why the dealer is offering a low price but if it's a MCS and not a JCW...might not be too bad a price????

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine is a 53 works, paid 13k for it 15 months ago and was offered 8k part ex with no budging against a new JCW. Had it been in region of ten I would have an R56 on order!! I would hate to be a french car owner with the used car market as it is...

·
Hot Chocolate Roll Call
21 Posts
Have to agree that it preety darn good, it has held over 60% after two years, my best mate has just lost 70% on a 2 year old astra sxi!!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
what are you moaning about?????

If you had bought any other car you would be lookign at a huge loss. To be honest considering you bought a run out model at the end of its life brand new i think you done ok.

Why would yours be worth anymore, as you can buy an R56 Cooper S from a dealer with 10000 miles for 12k, so the dealer is going to struggle to make the money back on your one.

On top of that, some people (including me) steer clear of overly low milage cars as there usually more problematic than they're worth as doing low miles in a car actually ruins the car and leads to more problems.

·
Is over to the dark side
515 Posts
Blummin heck.....the lady was only asking for some feedback!!!

Can we try and focus on helpful comments rather than remarks that might be taken the wrong way!!!! :(

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Blummin heck.....the lady was only asking for some feedback!!!

Can we try and focus on helpful comments rather than remarks that might be taken the wrong way!!!! :(
Thanks for that sane answer! Exactly, I was just asking for opinions there is no need to be rude.
When I swapped my first mcs in I got a much better deal so was just checking what people thought.
Yes it is a works, much cherished, serviced, and never had a problem from new, just trying to decide whether to order now or keep him a bit longer.

·
Now Aero Kitted!
330 Posts
I had a horrible shock when asking for a trade in price against a new JCW - £13 - 13.5k:aargh:
I paid £21k in March last year and have since added the aero kit and various other JCW bits n bobs. looks like I'm just gonna have to dream about having a JCW coz i can't afford a knock like that, luckily I still love my car so it's not too painful havin to keep it, but I feel sorry for people who have spent loads of money on other makes and lost a fortune :frown:

·
Is over to the dark side
515 Posts
I'd love to do the same and maybe buy a new JCW next year but i think the 2nd hand prices will take time to recover.

As you said though, making the slight modifcation here and there like new seats, aero kits, wheels, etc., keeps the car looking fresh.

I bought my JCW and have since added the aero kit, new wheels and a JCW spoiler. Completely different car and i'm sure it goes faster.....i think??!!! ;) Yeah right!!!

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
Thanks for that sane answer! Exactly, I was just asking for opinions there is no need to be rude.
When I swapped my first mcs in I got a much better deal so was just checking what people thought.
Yes it is a works, much cherished, serviced, and never had a problem from new, just trying to decide whether to order now or keep him a bit longer.
It's a Works so that does seem low to me!

I paid 10,500 for a MCS (non works) with a few nice options just last year.... and it's a 53. Not sure what trade in was then.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Works adds very little to the value of an MCS. Any dealer will tell you that. Again it can be hinderance to sell as it due to the higher insurance. Most dealers agrea on a works kit adding no more than a 1000 at most but in most cases roughly 750 ish.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
It's a Works so that does seem low to me!

I paid 10,500 for a MCS (non works) with a few nice options just last year.... and it's a 53. Not sure what trade in was then.
Since then though new R56 has filtered through and pushed all prices down, You could probably get the same car as yours for about 8 now. Saw a nice 52 plate at MITP, had leather, sat nav, works conversion, roof, auto climate, average miles, and was for sale for 8k, also there was a 52 plate with chilli, aero kit, leather and auto climate, 50k on clock and that was 6995 or nearest offer.

Gutting but the price drops had to catch up at some point

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Works adds very little to the value of an MCS. Any dealer will tell you that. Again it can be hinderance to sell as it due to the higher insurance. Most dealers agrea on a works kit adding no more than a 1000 at most but in most cases roughly 750 ish.
Very true.

Still stand by my original comment that the price seems good, and its lost less than 60% over the time of ownership which is good if you consider that the original price included a big lump on the JCW kit.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very true.

Still stand by my original comment that the price seems good, and its lost less than 60% over the time of ownership which is good if you consider that the original price included a big lump on the JCW kit.
Yes I am grateful for that point and feel a little better now! Still have got to find £14,000 from somewhere to change to the spec I want, ouch! Thinks I will have to wait at least six months.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
or look to sell it privately, Or also look out for pre reg's

I personally will never buy a brand new car. You should look at buying an ex-demo or a nearly new one, gives you the chance to sell yours and a cash buyer will always get more movement on price.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Yes I am grateful for that point and feel a little better now! Still have got to find £14,000 from somewhere to change to the spec I want, ouch! Thinks I will have to wait at least six months.
You'd probably do better holding onto your a bit longer, as its not going to loose too much more than you have until it hits 3 years old, you've taken the biggest hit.

And just think when the factory JCW isn't the newest model it dealers will have to try harder to sell them;)

You'd also get a greater choice in colours say start of next year:)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That sounds good, would love a laser blue one, will definitely hang fire for now, thanks all.

·
Registered
754 Posts
On top of that, some people (including me) steer clear of overly low milage cars as there usually more problematic than they're worth as doing low miles in a car actually ruins the car and leads to more problems.
Ant FR This comment intrigues me. I must admit I've never heard of this before, most dealers, in my experience give you more money part ex for lower milage? I've never heard of low milage ruining a car?:confused:

BTW I think that trade in, in the current climate is about right.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts