MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I have a mini cooper with chili pack CD changer and some orther extras. The car turned 3 years old on 15 November 2004. The car has done 13000 miles.

I have been offered £9250 against a new cooper or cooper S The cooper S will work out £3000 more expensive than the cooper. I am tempted to go for the S? How much better than the cooper are they?-handling speed etc.

Do you think the trade in price is fair?

Having owned an early build car that suffered all the common problems are the newer cars better built?

Your experience's would be welcome.

·
Registered
888 Posts
That sounds a bit low to me - I got about £1000 more than that 2 months ago in Glasgow for my Cooper (28K miles) (against a new one).

Incidentally the difference between my 2004 Cooper and the 2001 one I had before is incredibly - night and day - completely different cars. I'm glad I changed! I've had no problems at all except for the notchy clunky gearlever which i'm not convinced about!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I sold my 3 year old Chilli pack Cooper with 15000 miles about 2 months ago to a dealer for £9,800. Felt it was a bit low but it was the best offer at the time. Bought a 2003 Cooper S and my advice for you is to definently go for the MCS, much more torque than the Cooper so when you change gear it just pulls on and does not drop off the power like a MC does. Bit more noise, quite a bit more fuel (about 8mpg less) and higher insurance. All things weighed up I made the right move, a MCS is great fun!

·
Registered
700 Posts
You probably don't won't to hear this, but trading your MINI (or any car) in to the dealer for a new one won't get you the best value for your car.

The dealer cannot offer you a fair retail value, generally speaking, because he must turn around and resell the car to someone else, for at least a 10% profit.

Sell you car outright, you'll always make more money. Sometimes, a LOT more. It's worth your time to do so! :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
Good advice about selling your car privately rather than trading in. I did try mine in autotrader etc but got no calls which was surprising. ended up as I said in my earlier post selling it to a dealer, was not a Mini dealer but rather a smaller used car dealer. Still gave me about £700 more than my dealer would. People seem wary of spending large amounts privately on cars as they have so little come back if they experience problems with the cars.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Done it!

Well I have ordered the cooper S. £17,700 is a lot for a wee car.Hope its as much fun as the cooper has been.

Will try and sell the car privately as I can't get the new car until April next year and the dealer would not hold there trade in price until then.

Have always found it difficult to sell a car over £5000 privately- people do tend to like the comfort a dealer gives- however there are so many free sites on the internet that I will put it up for sale on these first and see what happens. ;)

·
Registered
700 Posts
geonot, try EBay. I sold a car on Ebay last summer and got a great price for it. I used the disclaimer from a professional car dealer ad, it was very detailed.

I got about 15% more than the retail value of the car, was very happy. Give it a shot, it's actually very easy and gives you the widest possible exposure.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well
The dealer managed to get me a car for 10 January 2005 rather than April 2005.
Get the Cooper s tomorrow ! metalic grey, black viper strips and mini spot lights.

Tried sell my car on e-bay and other places but still could not get the trade in price of £9250?? E-bay bid up to £9200, £50 below the reserve.

will be taking the car away at the weekend for a run from Edinburgh up to Wick with the Saturday spent on a mini adventure around the roads of Northern Scotland can't wait. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:p Will, got the car, went on mini adventure around the Scottish Highland, car absolutely fantastic-The end! :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts