MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
reclaim the supercharger
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone else trade a 54reg 'S' for a Yreg Rover Cooper Sport 500 S????

its up for 8995 on the trader and is utterly amazing, my car stands me around 10k id happily get a loan to free my BMW monthly payments and go trade my S against the Sport 500

AM I MAD OR WOULD YOU DO THE SAME??????????

Chris

Buy a used ROVER MINI Car - Auto Trader UK

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
mad, if you are hankering that much for a classic just go buy an old one and restore it yourself. Much more enjoyable and the old ones are much better anyway.

My mates squeezing a vtec in his during the winter.

·
reclaim the supercharger
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you see i have now found an x reg 10,000 mile example that was one of 200 made by mr John Cooper,

i dont care about the price its the fact its so rare and its got all the character mine hasnt,

funny thing is i started looking for a cheap one haha

·
Mini Madness
341 Posts
Hope it comes with a free garage, dehumidifier and 1000 gallons of Waxoyl!!

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
Absolutely crackers - and a very silly price (9k is what they sold for brand new). I had a Cooper 35 (which is probably the one to go for, if you have a hankering to drop silly money on an old Mini); the Sport had larger 13" wheels that just looked silly in fat wheel arches.

Those old Minis were fun, but I'd not feel comfy driving one around now. They're too small, too impractical, too uncomfortable and not at all reliable (and I drove one for 9 years). The MINI is a 21st century car; the Mini was a great car 40-50 years ago, but time has passed it by.

For similar reasons. I'd not be interested in an E-type or DB-V - did you see how slow those things were on the Top Gear track?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I like the classic Minis a LOT but I reckon you'd soon regret your decision. It'd be better off as a second car that gets used once in a blue moon... makes it much more special.

Realistically, if you do go for the classic, you'll be bouncing around in a car that's very unsafe in a crash and needs a lot of attention and upkeep to stay as it is now.

I saw the same car I think... British Racing Green? Stunning car but it'd have to be a weekend car for me.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
As a long time classic owner (now only a summer weekend car), I would only advise you do this if you keep the classic Mini 500 as a second car to your MINI and hibernate it in a garage in winter, or winter road salt and modern driving conditions will soon ruin it and its long term classic value.
As has also been said you also need to keep up regular classic style maintenance for mechanical reliability but the modern electronics and injection that were added to later classic Minis make this more difficult for diy mechanics.
Still great fun to drive though...................on non-motorway drives.:D

·
it's not easy bein' green
126 Posts
Hope it comes with a free garage, dehumidifier and 1000 gallons of Waxoyl!!

or a dustpan and brush to sweep up all the bits that will fall off it if you use it as a daily driver :D

It's not as if that Cooper is all that special, 10k miles and two owners? For that sort of money I'd be wanting something with a much lower mileage and one owner, in fact personally if it was to be a showcar I'd rather have that 80 miles from new Mini Thirty (and all the stuff that M111CGC mentions ;))

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
Don't forget to put a tray under the car to catch the oil drips. A Mini without a permanent and incurable oil leak is like a woman without an opinion.

·
still learning
1,270 Posts
agree with all previous posts....................not an everyday runner, but an expensive hobby if you have eight or nine grand to spare.

I've also had a few classic minis over the years and they are all well past their sell by date and belong in car museums as not designed for present day motoring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts