MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you trade in your old car against a new MINI?

Did you get a good deal?

I am thinking about trading mine in, but don't know whether it will be worth it or not?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I felt like I had been taken to the cleaners.
It depends how much you value being shot of your old car without any of the hassles of having to sell or auction it, without anyone being able to come back and either sue your ass or ask for their money back!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I think the dealer wanted me to sell my trade-in privately. I was offered bottom book price - same as Jamjar.com.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sold my car in local paper for £1200 more than BMW / MINI offered for it. Without a car for a few weeks but the 600 yamaha got me about. If your circumstances allow and you could be bothered you will always get more for a private sale. For me £1200 was worth it!!

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I had a Fiesta which I sold to a family member as BMW said they would give me bottom book for it if I traded it in against the MINI :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had a W reg Fiesta and the dealer wouldn't give me enough to pay my finances off, so I had to pay extra to get rid of it. :mad: :(

·
Registered
133 Posts
Greetings. BRG/white Cooper coming on 1st March.

Trading in a two year old Fiat Punto. Got bottom book I reckon and no discount whatsoever.

They got us over a barrell! We're suckers in love and they know we'll pay to get our fix.

Just remember the famous Fortnum and Mason slogan of yesteryear:

"The quality will still be enjoyed, long after the price is forgotten".

·
Registered
213 Posts
I didn't even bother asking for a trade-in price.

They have little margin on new MINIs and no room to haggle.

Most of their trade-in cars they will sell on to the wholesale market. So only expect rock bottom price minus 20%.

I sold my Peugeot 106 privately.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We got between trade and bottom book for the wifeys vectra, they did come up a bit however when we winged (not much mind !).
If you've got the time I'd definitely try a few days in the local paper, we could have got around £500 more if we'd had the inclination to go through the advertising/private selling route.
If you're unsure what you'll be offered, the Jam Jar price seems to be around the ballpark figure for most.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
You will always get a better price for your car if you sell it privately. Dealerships want to make some money out of it so don't expect to get its full value in a trade in. Some dealerships will give you a better price than others but at the end of the day, you are paying for the convenience.

It is a difficult one to call, but I suppose it depends on what is more important to you:

• Getting the most money for your car;
  • or making the process as painless as possible, and trading it in.
    [/list=a]

Cheers

LMB:D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well folks, i got an absolutely great deal when i traded in a 1988 Vauxhall Carlton for my MINI Cooper. I took the dealer for a drive around the block to prove that it would start and stop and he offered me £200 MORE than i'd been offered privately!! Top bloke!!:D :D :D

·
Registered
330 Posts
Traded in my Prelude as I couldn't in all conscience flog it privately (f****d 4-wheel steering). I managed to get the trade in price up by going round 3 dealers and then getting my local one to match the best offer :) .

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Crashandburn said:
Traded in my Prelude as I couldn't in all conscience flog it privately (f****d 4-wheel steering). I managed to get the trade in price up by going round 3 dealers and then getting my local one to match the best offer :) .
I did this when I bought the Fiesta. I went around 3 dealerships to see who could do the best offer. In the end I saved £200 off list price, had free metalic paint & free mats. its always best to shop around :) :) :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
BI GAL said:
Well folks, i got an absolutely great deal when i traded in a 1988 Vauxhall Carlton for my MINI Cooper. I took the dealer for a drive around the block to prove that it would start and stop and he offered me £200 MORE than i'd been offered privately!! Top bloke!!:D :D :D

....thought i ought to mention that the dealer only gave me £200 for the car......nobody even rang me when i tried to sell it privately!!:rolleyes:

Still, £200 is better than nothing and just about covered the cost of the cossie whale-tail that now cossets my Cooper!:D :D :D

·
BarWeetGarNarWeetNinnyBon
2,598 Posts
I'm getting £3500 for my T reg Clio. You reckon I've been ripped off? I know they go around £4k on Parkers price guide

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sold my 106 GTI out of the autotrader for £1300 more.
The Dealer as to sell your car to trade for a bit of profit
then the trader sells it on for more profit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts