MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a trailer hitch available for the MINI? I may want to pull a small 3\'x4\' trailer that weighs about 400lbs loaded with mine when it comes.. My son pulls the same trailer with his Miata and has no problem. Just wondering if it is in the option list or any aftermarket people have offered it.
 

·
MINI2 prodigal son
Joined
·
2,686 Posts
I\'ve seen no option - either by a dealer nor an after market accessory. You can bet your bottom there will be something available though. :)

From the brochure, both MINI One and MINI Cooper have a maximum trailer load of 650kg (1430lbs). That\'s for a braked trailer, 12% gradient. Sadly, it doesn\'t mention an unbraked trailer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
from the MINI accessories brochure I picked up this week...

<img src=\"http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/toiler//towbar.jpg\">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
I have scanned the accessories brochure on my website if anyone is interested.

www.dave.mcrae.btinternet.co.uk

Dave
 

·
MINI2 prodigal son
Joined
·
2,686 Posts
I understand there\'s no prices in the accessory book (I haven\'t seen it though). I\'ll be popping in to my deler tomorrow to ask after the book, talk about delivery dates, and about costs of post-delivery options. If I have any success, rest assured, I\'ll be back here with detais for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1400 lbs is not bad... anyone know the tongue weight? my guess would be about 150lbs. As to the looks, the lit. says when you take the ball out of the reciever it is not visable..We can get little trailers that you build yourself here in the states for $139-$212 from companies like Harbor Freight, (harborfreight.com I think) they are 40\"x48\"and are great for hauling race tires to the track.
 

·
MINI2 prodigal son
Joined
·
2,686 Posts
On 24-09-2001 15:13 Mini Magnum wrote:
1400 lbs is not bad... anyone know the tongue weight? my guess would be about 150lbs. As to the looks, the lit. says when you take the ball out of the reciever it is not visable..We can get little trailers that you build yourself here in the states for $139-$212 from companies like Harbor Freight, (harborfreight.com I think) they are 40\"x48\"and are great for hauling race tires to the track.
No joy speaking to my dealer about the options booklet, but the tongue weight in the book is 75kg (165lbs)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Ah, but all this begs the inevitable question... will that hitch work on the S?

The way it loops down and around it may clear the S\'s center-exit exhaust.
If this will do the trick, I may have to take back some of the awful things I said about the engineers responsible for that design.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On 25-09-2001 14:48 RedShift42 wrote:
Ah, but all this begs the inevitable question... will that hitch work on the S?

The way it loops down and around it may clear the S\'s center-exit exhaust.
If this will do the trick, I may have to take back some of the awful things I said about the engineers responsible for that design.
Good point! I had not thought about the center exhaust on the \"S\"..The other thing is the ball size, it looks like it is a fixed ball and if so, you would not be able to change from say a 2\" ball to a 1 7/8\" inch...hmmmm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,646 Posts
Trailer Hitch for Cooper S

I hope the trailer hitch in the MINI accessories catalogue fits the Cooper S with the centre exhaust and the rather large battery box. If the hitch comes off with no visible scaring, then it's probably a receiver hitch, and I don't hold too much hope that would fit under there, because of the battery. There may be aftermarket hitches available a little later.

As for the ball size, that not really a problem. There are ball size converters, but they look a little scary. You can always replace the trailer tongue end with a unit that fits your MINI's ball hitch.

My wish is that the Cooper S does have a hitch option, and that I can find a small, slick-looking, luggage trailer for it. Failing that, I'll have to go for some temporary roof racks and one of those fibreglass luggage bins. I guess a Post-It Note reading "No!" on the sunroof switch too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
Heres one - Possibly "Reece"

Heres a picture of a towbar attachment fitted to an "oz-spec" Cooper (long story - dont ask !!) if this helps anyone

The tow bar part can be kept in the boot, and saves you or the general public from smacking their shins against it. If you've ever walked into a tow bar you know what I mean.

:)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
UK Towbar avaibility

I have done a fare bit of resourch into what towbars are avilable in the UK (I have a boat that needs to be moved!). At present only the BMW bar is aviable (£650 I think). Witter and Buick are planning to manufacture one before the end of the year. Towsure (Sheffield) seem the best bet are going to use my Mini as a test bench and manufacture one hopefully in the next few months. Towsure are also really cheap (around £70)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
Re: UK Towbar avaibility

Swil said:
.........At present only the BMW bar is aviable (£650 I think).........
Must be made of Titanium, or some other rare alloy presumably........good grief, thats a ridiculous price even for BMW.

:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Apial said:
How much is the tow hook? Does the Accessory Brochure have any prices?
Over here in the Netherlands it cost EUR 550,- (fl 1212,-)

For you're information: I've got the accessoiry book AND prices ;)

Wether the tow hook will be avialable on the S, remains to be seen but I dont' think it will be due to the exhaust..

Roy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Re: Re: Trailer hitch?

FFOP said:


Over here in the Netherlands it cost EUR 550,- (fl 1212,-)

For you're information: I've got the accessoiry book AND prices ;)

Wether the tow hook will be avialable on the S, remains to be seen but I dont' think it will be due to the exhaust..

Roy
I am over your way in the near future, £337 does not too bad, maybe I can pick one up.
Is it the removeable version and does it include electrics?
 
1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Top