MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a R53 MCS. I'm really pleased with it. However there is one thing I wanted to check out. The car seems to feel quite twitchy on local roads to the extent where it feels like it's pulling from side to side. I have been drving a rear wheel drive M3 for the last few years and have never experienced the problem in any other car.

I've heard of Tram lining before and although I'm not sure excatly what causes it, the phrase best suits the feeling when driving. Has anybody else experienced this, if so any ideas on what causes it? Is it to do with the run flats and the stiff suspension set up?

Just wanted to check that this is 'normal' and there isn't something wrong?

·
IJ 2009 - Team 81
3,223 Posts
Which wheels & tyres do you have? What size? What pressures? Some owners suffer tramlining, where the car follows the contours of the road, others don't. Generally wider, heavier wheels will cause tramlining. My previous Cooper on 17" S Spokes was terrible for it. My current car on larger, wider, lighter wheels doesn't do it at all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Humph,

My car is running on 17" S Spokes on the recommended run flats at 33psi?

Glad to hear that this is normal. Any ideas what size wheel, type of tyre, etc etc would improve it?

Would normal 'non run flat tyres' help?

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
Which wheels & tyres do you have? What size? What pressures? Some owners suffer tramlining, where the car follows the contours of the road, others don't. Generally wider, heavier wheels will cause tramlining. My previous Cooper on 17" S Spokes was terrible for it. My current car on larger, wider, lighter wheels doesn't do it at all.
Snap, my old Cooper on 17" S Spokes did the same ( 33 psi all round)
The ride was better on the standard 15".

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Yes, non-runflats will help. As will lighter wheels (the S Spokes are notoriously heavy). You may also have worn suspension bushes which might exacerbate the problem. How many miles has the car done?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It only has 42K on the clock and apparently the bushes were done with the service before I collected it.

I din't realise the S Spoke were so heavy, guess it is quite a chunky wheel!

I will be upgrading the wheels at some point in the future. I have a BBS fetish and my dream wheels are LM's, however due to the price tag I think R90's are more likely. Any ideas on the weight of these?

·
GP 56 MCK 0774
1,074 Posts
I use to have this problem :(

Cured it by having a strutt brace fitted Really made a big diffrence to tram lining :D:D:D

Car handles loads better too :cool::cool:

·
IJ 2009 - Team 81
3,223 Posts
That could be one reason mine doesn't. Got top and bottom braces fitted.

Bazzer. As for weights that may solve the problem, i'm not sure of the magic number. My old Cooper with S spokes did (11.4kg each + tyres), but my current car with Bullets on delivery (9.4kg + tyres) never has. That 2kg made a big difference. Thta's quite a weight per wheel.

·
3 JWL
105 Posts
If you're running Pirelli RFT on S-spokes, then that's the cause of tram-lining! Having tried all the available RFT's in 140,000 miles, I'd recommend the Goodyear - last time around they were £77 + all the trimmings; £182 a pair all in at Micheldever Tyres.

I find it best at 33 psi all round but you could put a bit less in the back if you run empty most of the time. I've also fitted a GTT strut brace, which dramatically improves the handling, particularly the bump-steer.

Of course, you can trade out the weighty S-spokes and shoe-up with non-RFT (I just can't be arsed) but then you could trade it in and buy something else as well!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for you help!

I've ben reading a bit about non run flat tyres and people seem to rate them especially in the wet. Should save a bit of weight too. Cross braces were on the list anyway, so I'll see if it makes a difference!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts