MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Happy Trudger
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is not the wheel/tire forum, but I thought this post was more appropriate in the racing forum.

Am in need of new tires (again :rolleyes: ), and was tempted to go to an R compound. Would be breaking my promise to myself not to do it till I have two seasons of trackdays in. Was talking with Alex at TireRack and he suggested a compromise of sorts, the Pirelli PZero Corsa.

I remember that this tire was specifically outlawed at One Lap because the tire wear rating was too low -- 60, to meet the requirement of street tires only. Alex said, true for all but one size -- our/my size of 215/45/17. That rating is 140 with an 8/32nd depth. I'm not doing any series were this comes into play, but I believe this is the minimum tread rating for Solo2. I'm sure someone will know.

Alex warned me that it acts more like an R compound and will not be singing to me in the manner I have become accustomed with street tires. Expensive at $195, but then I guess Hoosiers aren't cheap either.

Probably should have posted here before ordering, but I'm going to chord pretty soon. Alex pointed out that one Mini driver in Baton Rouge has used them on the track and loves them. Here is his quote from TireRack:

"I use these tires for road racing and have been impressed with their performance. My lap times improved by over 2 seconds which gave me a 4th, two 2nds and a first place in class during last four races. They seem to outlast any racing slick such as Hoosiers...Ihave race 6 races on these tires and could still race two more. I will continue to use these as my race tires." Sincerely, Paulo S. Diniz

So,I may be another tester. Love to hear if anyone else has run them and what their experience has been. Any advice on pressures would be helpful.

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
NearlyNN said:
I know this is not the wheel/tire forum, but I thought this post was more appropriate in the racing forum.

Am in need of new tires (again :rolleyes: ), and was tempted to go to an R compound. Would be breaking my promise to myself not to do it till I have two seasons of trackdays in. Was talking with Alex at TireRack and he suggested a compromise of sorts, the Pirelli PZero Corsa.

I remember that this tire was specifically outlawed at One Lap because the tire wear rating was too low -- 60, to meet the requirement of street tires only. Alex said, true for all but one size -- our/my size of 215/45/17. That rating is 140 with an 8/32nd depth. I'm not doing any series were this comes into play, but I believe this is the minimum tread rating for Solo2. I'm sure someone will know.

Alex warned me that it acts more like an R compound and will not be singing to me in the manner I have become accustomed with street tires. Expensive at $195, but then I guess Hoosiers aren't cheap either.

Probably should have posted here before ordering, but I'm going to chord pretty soon. Alex pointed out that one Mini driver in Baton Rouge has used them on the track and loves them. Here is his quote from TireRack:

"I use these tires for road racing and have been impressed with their performance. My lap times improved by over 2 seconds which gave me a 4th, two 2nds and a first place in class during last four races. They seem to outlast any racing slick such as Hoosiers...Ihave race 6 races on these tires and could still race two more. I will continue to use these as my race tires." Sincerely, Paulo S. Diniz

So,I may be another tester. Love to hear if anyone else has run them and what their experience has been. Any advice on pressures would be helpful.
Hi,

Why all this torturing yourself, hanging out for two seasons before going to the R compound tyres ??? Is it because some wise person told you to do it that way, to progress carefully, learn the car first etc??

Well I am a reasonably wise sage, and I say "Just do it now!" :D :D

The performance of R spec tyres is so much better than street tyres. It makes you so much faster, and will improve your times enormously. Also, it makes driving much more fun :D

I know lots of people who have gone to R spec tyres on there first mini trackday, or after one or two, and all have big smiles on their faces, and have not come to any grief ;)

If you were driving a big powerful RWD car, which is hard to handle on the limit of the tyres, I could understand you reticence. However, the FWD mini is pretty foolproof :cool:

R spec tyres eg Dunlop Do1J, Yokohama AO32R, Bridgestones, Michelin pilot sport cups etc are cheaper than performance street tyres, and much faster and more fun to drive. Tyres are by far the best value in terms of performance. There is no point putting money into suspension upgrades while you are running street tyres, in my opinion.

The only proviso is that you really need a separate set of rims. It is legal to drive the R spec tyres on the street, but they are very noisy, and wear incredibly quickly with regular road driving.

As miniac pointed out, Cityclinic (who I know well) is running the Pirellis. They are a great allround tyre, but are expensive. Ultimately, I don't think they are as fast as a true R spec tyre on the track, but are pretty close. However, if you want to have one set of wheels for track and street they are probably the best compromise around.

Cheers

Robbo

·
Happy Trudger
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Robbo, thanks for the advice. I had to laugh when you said "why torture yourself". :D You hit it right on the button with the wise people telling me to learn slow. I'm a bit of a hard charger, both in terms of wanting to learn and also on the track. Heck, a good example of my attitude is the amount I have modded the car. :rolleyes: ;)

Owned the car less than a year, my first manual transmission in 25 years, and we won our class at One Lap. I know they are trying to slow me down. Good intentions, but I like your attitude better.

I have two sets of rims. Unfortunately I ordered the new set with the Corsas on them already. Was going to put a wet tire on the current rims, which are about to chord. Maybe I'll just say screw the wet tire and go R compound and use the Corsas in the wet. Probably not the best wet solution, but so what.

Well we've had Rambo and now we have Robbo. ;) I think I'm just going to go Robbo on all these instructors' sorry asses. :D :D Make them earn their money showing me how to drive with better grip. ;)

Thanks, for the pep talk. :cool:

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
NearlyNN said:
I have two sets of rims. Unfortunately I ordered the new set with the Corsas on them already. Was going to put a wet tire on the current rims, which are about to chord. Maybe I'll just say screw the wet tire and go R compound and use the Corsas in the wet. Probably not the best wet solution, but so what.

Thanks, for the pep talk. :cool:
Hi,

Actually the Corsas are probably THE best wet weather tyre I have seen, short of wet racing compound tyres.

My ultimate set-up would be a set of slicks for racetrack, and a set of corsas for everyday driving and wet track days :cool: Unfortunately, in the class I compete I cant use slicks, so I use type R tyres (Dunlop DO1J 205/50/16).

Go for it :D

Cheers

Robbo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
pbraun
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing