MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning a little while after truning off the engine,the indicator of the speedo suddently started trembling on its own! Starting the engine and turning off once again sorted the problem out.I wonder what might have caused this.

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
techiedoc said:
This morning a little while after truning off the engine,the indicator of the speedo suddently started trembling on its own! Starting the engine and turning off once again sorted the problem out.I wonder what might have caused this.

My wifes car does this almost everytime you turn the engine ON.... it usually lasts about 2 seconds.... very odd...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tony*t3 said:
My wifes car does this almost everytime you turn the engine ON.... it usually lasts about 2 seconds.... very odd...
For me, this happened only once (so far!).Did your wife speak to the dealer?

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
techiedoc said:
For me, this happened only once (so far!).Did your wife speak to the dealer?

No, my wife speaking to the dealer would involve her pulling her finger out and actually doing something proactive... :rolleyes: :eek:

It doesn't worry her, so it doesn't worry me really. Just a gremlin in the machine I suppse....

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi all,
This has been happening to our MINI since we got it, been to dealer but no joy there.
Hasn't caused a problem though and for your information have found the following on the fault & fixes page.....

"Why Does my Speedo Shake or Rattle on Start Up?
Short Answer: It's re-zeroing itself. It only needs to re-zero after a reset, and this happens either a) when you remove the battery, or b) if you turn the ignition to position 2 more than a minute and a half after ignition off. Long Answer: The mechanical backstop for the stepper motor that drives the speedo needle is a few degrees below the visible zero mark on the display. Before the instrument packs leave the factory, the needles are optically aligned with the zero mark, and the difference in angle between the backstop and the zero mark is written into the memory of the instrument pack. On a reset, the needle is driven backwards into the backstop, and then forwards by the calibrated angle to the zero mark. The needle will shake as long as the motor is driving back against the backstop. Because the calibration varies between cars, the amount of time (and severity) of the shaking will also vary, and some cars audibly rattle. Short conclusion to the long answer: It's a quirk, but go ahead and complain if you think it's really bad. "

Hope this helps, and if you have any joy at the dealer let us know,

Red Hot Chilli Cooper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts