MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -- Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm having a devil of a time getting my wind deflector folded back up. Everything else works fine, I can get it installed and removed from the car with no problem, but I just can't seem to fold it in half.

Anyone still remember what they learned at the dealership?? :confused:

·
Now in Hot Orange
36 Posts
blooscoop said:
Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm having a devil of a time getting my wind deflector folded back up.
It took me a little while the first time too - My dealer had never opened one before mine, so we didn't even attempt to fold it back up then. Excuse the following terminology, but I can't think of a better way to describe it...

If you look on one of the large handles that sit at the front of the deflector (where the vertical bit joins), you'll see it actually has two arrows on it (as opposed to just one on the other side) - If you push that side into the centre of the deflector some more it actally releases the vertical part, allowing it to fold flat, and allows the whole thing to fold in half.

At least I think I remember that right. I have only done it the once...

The 'trick' is definately to do with the handle with the two arrows on it....

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
I hae avery small brain - so I forget and have to re-learn the technique every time! If they ever bring back the Generation Game on TV, this should be one of their challenges!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wind Deflector Solution!

Thanks for your suggestions -- the "double arrow" marker is absolutely the key!

Now, after struggling mightily with it for two days (and with constant commentary and some help from various friends and family members), I have finally mastered a way for me (small person) to actually fold the deflector consistently. In case there is anyone else out there who is trying to do this without breaking the deflector, scratching the car, or falling in a mud puddle, here is my system:

1. Take the time, before you need to do this in a hurry, to find those pesky two arrows and make a BIG MARK next to them, so you can find them easily next time you need them. (If you haven't found them yet, they are next to the pin which installs closest to the boot on the passenger seat side, when the deflector is in place.) (In America. Don't know about Britain.)

2. Place the deflector in the "half open" position (two long portions at a 90 degree angle from each other).

3. Stand with the "one piece" half between your legs, with the "one arrow handle" on the ground and the "two arrow handle" in your right hand. With your left hand, hold the top of the "two piece" half.

(This is not the only possible position for this, but I found that I was not strong enough [or coordinated enough??] to do this with the deflector lying on a table, the ground, or in any other horizontal position. I absolutely had to do it with it in a vertical position, and with the ground to give me leverage.)

4. Pull the "two arrow handle" out and then down firmly, to retract the pin back into the handle.

5. Now -- and this is the tricky part -- push the "two arrow handle" down again (no need to go out first). This action will release the little pins in the round connector which is keeping the two pieces of the wind deflector hooked together.

(If you look on page 39 of the manual, the round connector is identified in the first picture with an arrow and the number "1".)

6. This is where your left hand comes in. At the exact same time as you are pushing down on the "two arrow handle" so that the round connector releases, you must use your left hand to gently unlatch the top half of the "two piece half" and fold it down, away from you. Amazingly, this part is completely easy, so long as you are, at the same time, succeeding with that tricky thing you're doing with your right hand.

Okay, that's it. I'm going to go put my deflector away now, in its case, in the boot, instead of its old home in the middle of my dining room table!

And then I'm going for a drive!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts