MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard from my local mechanic who has repaired many of my old BMWs that the Turbocharged 1.6 Prince engine is not the most reliable engine. Had one case where it took 3l of oil for 100km.
Has someone had similar issues with the Prince engine?

How does it compare to Tritec, any experience?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Use the search facility, there’s a lot of discussion, many facts and some fiction about this subject.

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
best way is to just hate them both the same way, then ask yourself can you live with a old car or a new car they both has good and bads points that mostly revolve around ignorance to service and repairs that all cars must have, gen 1 tritec cooper s is the only trirec i would entertain, then gen 2 prince engines just need to be treated a cratin way main thing timing chain 60.000 miles on a car that has been driven most of its life half revs or more, this is the issue mainly with them, also change the scavenge pump in fuel tank as so many people have spent out on high pressure pumps when it was a £25 after market pump fix or timng chain was the issue, or timing chain runs engine retarded and extra heat can cause valve stem seals to ,melt and even crack valves and melt upstream 02 sensor and eat away at the cat, treat chain as a service item as bmw intended i feel they are good better mpg better to live with bit bigger, the clubman is prob best value that extra room makes a load of difference can get 4 adults it it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts