MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 40 of 112 Posts

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
Tsunami Relief. New England: Step up to the plate and give.

Please join me in donating to those who need it so badly. I was without heat or power for 20 hours this past week and realized that my inconvenience was so trivial cmpared to what is happening over there. I had no right to complain when you consider what they are going through in Asia.

I've chosen Oxfam (Boston office listed below) but here's a huge list for you to choose from:

The following are among the aid agencies that are accepting contributions for assistance that they or their affiliates will provide for those affected by the earthquake and tidal waves in Asia.

American Jewish World Service
45 West 36th St., 10th Floor
New York, NY 10018
800-889-7146
www.ajws.org

American Friends Service Committee (AFSC Crisis Fund)
1501 Cherry St.
Philadelphia, PA 19102
215-241-7000
www.afsc.org

Catholic Relief Services
PO Box 17090
Baltimore, MD 21203-7090
800-736-3467
www.catholicrelief.org

Doctors Without Borders/ Medecins Sans Frontieres
PO Box 1856
Merrifield, VA 22116-8056
888-392-0392
www.doctorswithoutborders.org

American Red Cross International Services
285 Columbus Ave.
Boston, MA 02116-5114
617-375-0700 ext. 277
800-564-1234 ext. 277
www.bostonredcross.org/

International Orthodox Christian Charities
Middle East Crisis Response
PO Box 630225
Baltimore, MD 21263-0225
877-803-4622
www.iocc.org

Oxfam America
Donor Services Department
26 West Street
Boston, MA 12111-1206
800-77-OXFAM
www.oxfamamerica.org

Save the Children
Asia Earthquake/ Tidal Wave Relief Fund
54 Wilton Road
Westport, CT 06880
800-728-3843
www.savethechildren.org

US Fund for UNICEF
333 East 38th St.
New York, NY 10016
www.unicefusa.org

World Relief
7 E. Baltimore St.
Baltimore, MD 21202
443-451-1900
www.wr.org

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Shaun said:
http://www.redcross.org.uk/Campaign.asp?id=38543
http://www.cafod.org.uk/
http://www.oxfam.org.uk/what_we_do/emergencies/country/asiaquake/index.htm

Look people this is serious if theres something you were going to buy in the sales ask yourselves do I really need it dont deprive your self but send some leftover festive cheer to someone who needs it right now.

Its a round world last time I checked so lets help yeah?

Shaun
I have never seen anything like it. It's like watching a movie, too horrendous to believe. :(

Our Government have given £15Million but that's not going to make a dent. These people need our help desperately so please give.:(

·
MCS Owner-to-be
37 Posts
My wife and I got married in Sri Lanka in 2003 and met many lovely people there in Galle. I have now seen that town totally devestated on the news and my heart bleeds for the people there and all around the Indian ocean.

Having seen the flimsy fishermans shacks all along the coastline it is easy to realsie why 1 million people in Sri Lanka are now homeless, I think we all need to do whatever we can to help that at this terrible time, and am pleased to see so many like minded people on the forum.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
Steve, Thank you.
We were watching extended coverage on BBC America this morning and Margaret wanted to know where to send to - I will now let her pick from this list.

Seeing the devastation over there really brings home how insignificant our everyday worries really are. I cannot comprehend what life is going to be like for the survivors.

Also shows the total power of nature - we fool overselves that we can understand and control the world ...

·
MINI2 Regular
438 Posts
I'm finding it really hard to get my head around the sheer scale of this disaster.
It seems every time I see the news the death tole has risen by five thousand or more.

I had been worried about my car issues before this, and now it just seems pointless to get so emotional about a chunck of metal when things like this happen.

I've made my donation, and I hope to see many more people doing the same.

·
What's this red line for?
324 Posts
Not in N.E. but...

I made my donation to the American Red Cross Disaster relief program. I challenge all mini owners or future owners like myself (wherever u live) to help those people.

Mike

·
likes pork
56 Posts
Thank you for posting the links CCM. Everyone should step up to the plate here... every penny will help. It makes me sick just thinking about such an enormous tragedy. :(

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
Way to go guys! That's the spirit.

·
Bringing Love to MINI2
19,214 Posts
It's a good lesson in perspective for all of us, isn't it? ;)

The count was approximately 77,000 when I last heard. How utterly devastating. I feel like the after-effect of the tsunami has travelled the world over and over. :(

·
QQJ's Social Secretary
9,458 Posts
Thanks so much for taking the time to put the list together, Steve. I've just 'borrowed' it to post in the MINIUSA Owners Lounge.

It's certainly a reminder for the New Year to know how fortunate we are, in the face of such tragedy.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Like wise, I would like to express my condolscences to the affected people and their families.
Have put in my donations to the Red Cross Singapore in their effort to provide water, medical supplies and food to the affected people/countries.

http://www.redcross.org.sg/new_bayofbengal_m.htm

Wishing all the best for them and we pray for those who are still missing.
:( :(

·
Registered
164 Posts
Please donate now.......

.....next week will be too late for some people. As I am working New Years day I have increased my donation to include what I will earn that day. You may not be aware but as a UK tax payer any registered charity can reclaim 28% tax on top of your donation.

As the current death toll reaches 100,000, althoough predictions are that just as many if not more people if not more could die from the after effects of stavation, disease and exposure. The above figure is base on the official counted dead remember many people who were swept out to sea or who were trapped under buildings have not been included.

What could you afford ,£1000, £100, £10, £1? Any amount could make a difference between life and death from people who live in abject poverty, who have lost 1,5,10,20 family members, who by all accounts have been putting the interests of foriegn holiday survivors above themselves in their darkest hour and who supply us with all our "Cheap Goods" (have a good look at where your clothing and children's toys are made). Perhaps now is the time to pass back some of those savings?

Moderators perhaps you could link all these threads to increase the impact from MINI2'ers?

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80178&highlight=tsunami

My MINI me and me said:
Aid is needed NOW! before people are infected with diseases from lack of fresh water and food. I am donating a paultry £200, the cost of my heated seats.

WWW.dec.org.uk

Make a donation,Make a difference

£15 will buy a hot meal for 125 people in emergency feeding centres

£25 will provide basic shelter, food parcels and household items for two families for two weeks

£50 will supply tarpaulins to provide basic shelter for ten families

£100 will pay for emergency food parcels to feed 60 families for one month

£250 will provide essential emergency shelter and food for 20 families or 100 people

·
total MINI . com
34,893 Posts
I will begrudgingly donate - not begrudge the poor souls who have lost their lives or lost loved ones and are now living in a hell on earth but begrudging our governments - across the Western World. The UK put up £1million pound until they got a slating for being mean and rasied it to £15m in order to save face and further criticism from oppostion MPs . £15 FECKING MILLION - IS THAT IT :mad: You can win more on the bloody lottery. The US, £35m - how does that compare to the candidates expenditure in their recent elections :mad: How many bombs at millions of pounds each have we dropped in Iraq - to "liberate" thousands. Well now there are MILLIONS of people made homeless, millions facing death through lack of supplies and diseases - and what do they have to rely on? The generosity of Joe Public to donate , the charity workers paid a pittance to do their jobs. It's all so so sadly wrong. Crazy demented World we live in makes me despair sometimes :( :( :(

So yes donate, but also write to your government and expess disgust with them. Why don't we hold a reserve of cash for such disasters in the same way we hold a reserve for War? Why don't the UN have a mandatory x% of GDP taken annually of each member country to provide for this sort of event? Why Why Why? There must be better simpler ways :(

Sorry for the rant but I've been fuming over this since it all happened :eek:

·
50 PMs no sig group
22,285 Posts
SoggyCornFlakes said:
... The UK put up £1million pound until they got a slating for being mean and rasied it to £15m in order to save face and further criticism from oppostion MPs . £15 FECKING MILLION - IS THAT IT :mad: You can win more on the bloody lottery. The US, £35m - how does that compare to the candidates expenditure in their recent elections :mad: ....
Soggy, I heard on the news last night that until it has been decided how best the money should be spent and where it is needed, these are working amounts and will be revised (increased) as better information comes through.

Not that I trust our (your) government but this sounded like a reasonable statement.

·
cristo
2,858 Posts
I read that the good Mr. G W B is planning on spending about $500 for every person
who has died so far ($40M) ...on his inauguration!! (and $35M is earmarked for
Tsunami releif). How wonderful... :(

21 - 40 of 112 Posts