MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone im new to this forum and was wondering how fast i can really tune a MC. so far i have saved up $45000us for the car and tuning. My dad is very strict with me getting a car and i was barely lucky to get a MC. so far im getting a MC maxed out with automatic transmission(my dad hates manuals) and i have the rest to spend on tuning. can u please tell me how i can tune my car and what it will cost me.

thank you very much in advance.

oh yea and i live in Los Angeles California.

·
MINI Owner!
415 Posts
$45,000? Whooo.... well, you've got $45,000 minus your Cooper's ammount in dollars too much. The CVT can't handle much engine tuning at all. Of course you can upgrade the suspension and brakes and all, but as far as engine power goes, you''re basically maxed out with a stock CVT Cooper. Sorry to be harsh, but you should have researched this a little further, before you actually (did you actually?) bought a Cooper CVT.

Also, if you don't mind me asking.... how can your dad POSSIBLY be involved in your finances if you're able to save $45,000?

·
Registered
188 Posts
uh...... definitely go for an MCS. Just convince them to let you since a maxed out Cooper CVT is gonna cost you MUCH more than an MCS. I dont understand what's the big deal? Seriously, if you have that much to spend, get the MCS and if he REALLY hates manual... wait for the auto, you have the money for it. Lastly, why does what your parents think matter so much, if it is YOUR money it shouldn't really matter what car you get.

cheers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok first of all im only 17. i have been working and saving money up for years now just to get a car( i was a automotive fan since i was 5 ....so yea). i really dont need to spend all of my cash on the mini, im just goin to spend enough to get some nice speed out of it. my parents are korean and koreans are very strict with what their kids have to buy so im limited in options to get a MC. i could get a Subaru Impreza WRX STi but i prefer a mini so much more.

and wait dere is going to be a MCS with Auto?

·
Registered
188 Posts
i'm getting a CVT and from the looks of it the mods that can be done is very limited. Even the MTH mod, i've only read about one person who has done it and all he really said was that it made the D like SD, not real testable improvements.

As for your parents limiting you, I guess I don't understand why the limit is a MC if the MCS will be cheaper if you don't load it up. Base MC is like.. 16,500 where MCS is like 19,500. if you add one package and the CVT to the MC, it will be about as much as an MCS already. I really suggest you talk to your parents about it. Maybe if you tell us why the limit is an MC then we could help you argue it out.

I mean, I'm asian too. Cambodian to be exact, the biggest complaint my parents have about the MINI is that it's too small and such.. or realiability issues, but these things don't change when looking at an MC compared to an MCS. the other thing is insurance, if you are worried about that, let me tell you, the price difference in insurance between the two is about $50/6 months, i checked it out. I don't want to tell you not to get an MC cause i think it'll be great (obviously I think so since I'm getting one), but if you really want to mod it and have that much money then defintely go for an MCS. Lastly, the MCS will be available with Automatic transmission Jan, so based on the fact that you didn't order it yet, there isn't much of a wait to get the auto MCS. a;tough i don't know what the wait is like for an MCS auto in Cali. If you want you can order it here in Chicago and I'll drive it over there for you :D

good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh shigiti yeah. im waiting till january then. the only reason i cant get an MCS is because it only came in manual. but now since i know its coming out in auto, im waiting till jan and tuning that up. Hopefully the release is a guarantee. I heard that if you tune a MCS to the max u can get over 250 bhp out of it. and that would be so nice. All black MCS with a CB hood and trunk, 250 bhp and some nice yokohama rims. wow i cant wait, i think il order the rims and tires now and but teh tune ups later when i can find some resources(shops that will install all the tune ups for my car and i can buy them). tyvm everyone.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sorry but Amerians, arrghh! Frustrating. "I know, i'll take the enjoyment out of driving and buy an Auto"...lol. God.

If you're not willing to argue a decent case with your dad, wait until you're older and buy a proper performance car when you've moved out and can make your own decisions. When i passed my test i had to make do with a car worth £150. Just get your Cooper CVT, drive it for a couple of years, and get some experience under your belt. Perhaps even flirt with the notion of getting some driver training instead of wasting all your cash on a little Mini which standard is a better car than a bziillion other kids like you will be getting.

Sorry if that came over as a personal attack, but i had to say it!

Good luck,

-Rob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hahaha funny you say that. ive had my licnse for more then 7 months and had some driving lessons during summer break. i went to a racing school during the summer and that is the reason i want a mini cooper. i want something small and fast.

·
Registered
188 Posts
you should consider getting the manual. It is available to much more mods and as everyone argues, it changes the driving experience. I was going to opt out fo the auto MCS, but due to cost issues, along with the fact of not really wanting a sport car with auto, 500 price increase after Jan, new transmission, I decided to stick with the MC. Try to argue out the manual with your parents. My parents really hated the manual too, but I almost got away with it. Sadly though they said I could not get it becaause then no one else in my family would be able to drive the car. However, if this is going to be SOLELY your car, and since it's your money, it is worth a shot to try to convince your parents to let you get the manual. some key points to give them: save money on the transmission ( auto is 1300 more than standard), save money on gas, and you'll never come across a car you won't be able to drive in emergency situations.

There are a lot of discussions on why you should get a manual or not, look it over and decide what you want.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hahaah my parents said the same "excuse". man i wish talking to my dad about it was that easy. my brother wanted to get a Subaru WRX STi on manual like 4 years ago, my dad and my bro went all out arguing all night until 3 about the manual. Wouldnt you guess that if my older bro tried that long and didnt work , it wont work on me worse.

right now im considering just to get a MCS auto maxed with everything i like, a JCW kit, and some rims thats about it, i read like a thread about autos and tuning and i just decided to leave the car the way it is. maybe just add some visual upgrades, like a cb trunk hatch and hood. with the rest im just gona buy stuff i want, like and ipod, rc car, clothing, and games. i guess im gona have lots left over and going to leave it at the bank.

·
pretend grown-up
499 Posts
I don't really understand - what's your Dad's issue with manuals?

And maybe you guys have different spec Imprezas than us in the UK, but the performance of WRX STi kicks the :bad::bad::bad::bad: out of a Cooper CVT and I'm pretty damn sure it would out of a CVT S too. Getting an auto S misses the point of having a driver's car surely? Unless you're missing a leg or an arm perhaps...

Oh god. Now I feel really evil :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ahahahaah yea true, but i dont really mind, either way im goign to have to get a Auto car. i have no choice period. either i get this or that it has to be auto. in here wrx sti are also 300bhp and are prety neat. but i like a mini cooper better. im buying the car that i want and thats good enough for me =D.

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
What if you just wait until you're 18 and then you can do what YOU want to with YOUR money. I know the cultures are very different, and I respect that, but it just doesn't seem right that you can't buy what you want to with your own money.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think the problem is that although he is going to be paying for the car it is highly likely that the parents will be paying for the insurance, gas, and major breakdowns of any sort. Further more, being only 17, even if he waits until he's 18 he still has to go to college. Once again the parents come in with money at hand. So what you really have to consider is what is he "paying" for, the car?, food?, college? I myself pay for my own college and work for them 7 hours a week at their business, but my parents are the one getting me a car.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.