MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm thinking of making one or two mods to my GP. Got it 1 year ago and absolutely love it. I've read good things about the Mini Motor Sport 225 upgrade kit, which includes a new and uprated supercharger and a new 4-2-1 manifold and various other bits and bobs. Apparently the sound is great with the new manifold and the 4-2-1 produces more low down torque, but I'm just wondering if the supercharger is worth it. It's £1500 for the lot! Has anyone any experience of this mod on a GP and if so what's it like? Does anyone know how much the torque increases by with this mod as well?

Thanks,

Ed. :smile:

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
I don't think there's that many people who've modded GPs - but I've got a feeling Snowie has so you should be able to get some good advice from him...

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
I was thinking of the 225 kit for my works but the 19% pulley has put me off... although having said that am still considering the 4-2-1 mani + sports cat.

It would work just as well on a GP as a JCW I should think (plus the GP Intercooler would compliment it better than the JCW IC) although if it were my GP I wouldnt do anything as significant to the car as this.

I would want to keep it stock GP. I know some people have tuned their GP but if I wanted to tune a car I would start with a MCS or JCW S and go from there, the GP is limited edition and tuning it would probably loose you some money if you end up selling it.

This is just IMHO. :)

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
You would be better spending a little more than £1500 on a GTT or Milltek or Janspeed Manifold/cat and a big valve head from GTT or RMW (1320) and maybe a Cam and 450cc injectors with GTT variable fuel pressure regulator.

The JCW 225 is not a bad kit but if you have a GP anyhow then the later madel charger is good anyway and the pulley can be changed to a smaller one for more boost (if you have the contacts)

Where are you located roughly, what shire, as this might make a difference once you factor in the travel costs to get to MINImotorsports centre or other tuners.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Better not change cylinder head because it will drop your resale value significantly.
Or it must be that you will not sell the GP and keep it.

If you want more power better sell your GP and buy a good R53 and drive to GTT or other good tuner and bolt on their 250+ hp package. Much cheaper and quicker.

·
Registered
329 Posts
just a small point but i had my stock gp dyno'd at mini speed and i know there's a degree of 'play' in each rolling road but mine recorded 224bhp!
GP Mick's registered 225bhp stock aswell so i'd suggest you get it dyno'd first-you may be pleasantly suprised!

·
GP 56 MCK 0774
1,074 Posts
just a small point but i had my stock gp dyno'd at mini speed and i know there's a degree of 'play' in each rolling road but mine recorded 224bhp!
GP Mick's registered 225bhp stock aswell so i'd suggest you get it dyno'd first-you may be pleasantly suprised!

Sorry it was 225.7bhp :rolleyes::D:D:D

Think you need to come along to the GP display at Catton hall and you can compare notes othermods done by GP owners

There was 32 GPs at the last gathering so plenty of advice on hand

Get your name down for this :D:D:D

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Hi,

I'm thinking of making one or two mods to my GP. Got it 1 year ago and absolutely love it. I've read good things about the Mini Motor Sport 225 upgrade kit, which includes a new and uprated supercharger and a new 4-2-1 manifold and various other bits and bobs. Apparently the sound is great with the new manifold and the 4-2-1 produces more low down torque, but I'm just wondering if the supercharger is worth it. It's £1500 for the lot! Has anyone any experience of this mod on a GP and if so what's it like? Does anyone know how much the torque increases by with this mod as well?

Thanks,

Ed. :smile:

We map the ECU and the GP will typically make 15-25whp with our map
I have a GP and if you go into our performance section you will see I installed a 2.0L stroker engine. You can see what is capable with the car. We have dyno info of a tuned/mapped stock GP, a GP with our race header/exhaust/cam and a GP with our head/cam/street header/440cc injectors
all were done on the same dyno on the same day;)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
personally i would'nt do anything thats non JCW on a GP. They are a collectors car so if you start messing with it to much then it will lose its desitrability.

Like Berthill said i would sell it on and then buy a used R53 and then spend 5k on that. And yes i'd agrea a 260bhp R53 is a lot faster.....lol

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
personally i would'nt do anything thats non JCW on a GP. They are a collectors car so if you start messing with it to much then it will lose its desitrability.

Like Berthill said i would sell it on and then buy a used R53 and then spend 5k on that. And yes i'd agrea a 260bhp R53 is a lot faster.....lol
I put the stock engine in a crate and dropped in the stroker. I can put it back to bone stock in the blink of an eye;)

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
I put the stock engine in a crate and dropped in the stroker. I can put it back to bone stock in the blink of an eye;)
That would be pretty sweet for the new owner... "here is the original engine with delivery miles, as you can see there is still wax on it" you can run it in yourself! :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know there would be problems selling it on afterwards, but the kit comes from the ex JCW garages so I would be keeping it as stock as possible! I did have an R53 before hand and sold it for the GP which is so much better at cornering and the popping and gurgling from the exhaust is a joy! It's either that or I save up for an Evo or an Impreza!
Thanks for your help
Ed.

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
Manifold and cat (with extended lambda leads) comes to approx £1K (incl fitting and VAT) the SC with 19% pulley and ECU change makes up the remaining £500...

·
Overly excited!!
1,364 Posts
Manifold and cat (with extended lambda leads) comes to approx £1K (incl fitting and VAT) the SC with 19% pulley and ECU change makes up the remaining £500...
So £1500 for an additional 10bhp on a GP. Seems a little expensive.

You could be seeing larger gains by doing the cylinder head and cam, and at similar prices.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Once mine is out of warranty in 12 months time, it will be straight down to Roland at GTT for a turbo kit. The GTT350 i reckon, more speed Mr Zulu!!!:D:D

·
CHEQUE IT OUT
195 Posts
if you PM -G- on here he will be able to help more on modding a GP.
he has spent £3500 ish on his engine,
grs chargecooler, smaller pulleys, catch can, manifold,throttle bodies cat, cat back system, etc..etc......etc.........

goes like stink and sounds awesome.

he will answer any questions you have

oh and he got it all done at lohen and is very happy with the serivce:)

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
if you PM -G- on here he will be able to help more on modding a GP.
he has spent £3500 ish on his engine,
grs chargecooler, smaller pulleys, catch can, manifold,throttle bodies cat, cat back system, etc..etc......etc.........

goes like stink and sounds awesome.

he will answer any questions you have

oh and he got it all done at lohen and is very happy with the serivce:)

for $7000 US you can have 250whp;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts