MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just bought mcs convertible ,excellent car very taught pulls well feels like it has all 170 ponies present.Would like to add 20-25 bhp just for a bit more pull when loaded up with passengers.Not sure which mod would suit my car, seems as though a remapp would be one method to go with .Not looking to create a hot rod just looking for driveiability and reliabity.Any advice on tuners etc would be good.
Still waiting for the sun

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Hi there - I've moved your thread to the engine and drivetrain tuning forum.

Most folks will probably tell you on here to avoid the remap, and just go for a 15% pulley and a set of iridium spark plugs. Should cost you no more than 350 notes, and will give you the 20-25bhp you desire ;)

Basically the smaller pulley makes the supercharger spin faster, thus forcing more air through, and generating more power. The extra spinning though generates more heat, hence the wise suggestion of iridium plugs.

Jon

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
As above
15% pulley and plugs for a starter

Take a full look in the engine and drivetrain tuning section, there is a lot to read and lots of opinions

Companies to use, GTT, Lohen, 1320, FOM all have websites and offer all sorts of things. It depends on what you want to achieve and how much you are prepared to spend. Be carefull you can spend a lot but not achieve the full benefits.

Also as you have a Cabrio think about improving the handling by fitting top and bottom strut braces - you will really notice the difference. GTT have the best ones but they are relatively expensive but you get what you pay for.

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Forgot about the strut braces :eek:

Yup my cabrio has the GTT Upper, Lower and Mid-Chassis braces fitted all in one go - amazing difference, really tightened things up :cool: There are cheaper braces out there on the market, but you get what you pay for.

Wish I still had them to fit on the Checkmate :rolleyes:

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
Do you want smoothness or just power? Also, where are you based?

Smoothness: Custom remap = Better, response, improved power delivery & a few more ponies/torques (not 20-25 though), same/better economy if you desire. Circa £350.

Power: 15% Pulley & NGK Iridium plugs = 20-25 bhp, better torque from 2000rpm, worse economy. Circa £320.

Do both and you have a winner. Theres only one place I know of that does a decent custom remap (avoid generic maps as they are too hit and miss) but the pulley and plugs can be done anywhere mini related. If you let us know where your based we'll point you to the best, nearest place.

·
Registered
619 Posts
CAI and 15% pully with iridiums for sure did it to my MCS, made a HUGGGEE differance.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
We offer 2 packages:

1) 15% Pulley, with reduced size belt and new spark plugs - £325.00 all in for members including Dyno power run

2) As above but with P-Torque software to optimise timing and ensure the best response and smoothness - £425.00 all in

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Everyone
Getting My mcs done on 4th september. Going with the 15%pulley , new plugs and filter. being done by Lohen.
Cant wait to see what its like

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pulleys and plugs

Thanks again for advice after reading many threads seems 15% pulley with plugs and maybe remapp way to go one of the replys to my original question from performance torque seems a good deal.Has anybody any experience of these,also any reliability probs with pulley reduction and plugs.Are cars normally dynod before and after to check figures are correct ie bhp

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Thanks again for advice after reading many threads seems 15% pulley with plugs and maybe remapp way to go one of the replys to my original question from performance torque seems a good deal.Has anybody any experience of these,also any reliability probs with pulley reduction and plugs.Are cars normally dynod before and after to check figures are correct ie bhp
Hi Jon

We have carried out alot of these upgrades over the last 5 years.

You can search the net for ''p-torque'' to find customer reviews.

We recommend the Dyno before and after, as you can see the difference the upgrades have made, plus our quoted prices include free runs anyway. Of course its your choice though ;)

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
70k miles on my 15% pulley car ... well ok its got a lot more done to it now but still... no problems caused by the pulley change as long as you dont use wide open throttle in 5th and 6th for extended periods of time (eg several minutes long foot welded to the carpet).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts