MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a mini cooper d 2008 , 1.6 psa engine with garrett turbo. I found out my vnt was sticking and stripped it all down, the 3 torx bolts have sheared off even thought I heated everything up. Is there an easy way of getting the remaining bits out? smallest extractor I've got won't fit in.
any help would be gratefully received

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
would just bite the bullet fit a refurb unit around £180 or best option a genuine one on link below,
on that engine turbo's dont tend to much over 80.000 miles with dof filter and all soot and crap its causes, if doing a turbo you really should do the dpf filter as well as thats prob why the vnt is blocked up with soot etc,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi thanks mike , I have stripped it down and cleaned out the dpf new oil pick up in sump, new oil feed to turbo, and lastly cleaning the turbo, id have no luck at all if I didn't have bad luck!
if all else fails new one it is but I hate being beaten by broken bolts.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
heads up on that engine when the turbo lets go and i promise you i see more that do than what dont,, most common reasons for it are mileage from 70-120.000 miles, if have leaking injecotr seals this adds solid lumps of carbon in to the insides of rocker cover where the oil picks in up and blocks the oil strainer in the sump or some builds up in the banjo bottom bolt for the turbo and this kills off the oil bearing and this sets off a chain of events,,, ie driving along and next minute car hesitates just before its smokes that bad you cant see anything behind you,, then the driver pulls in and takes foot off clutch pedal as to stop engine as by now its reving at 8000 revs until its run on all the oil that was in the sump, or the engine throws a conrod out side of engine etc,, some engines have a new turbo fitted and are fine after if the runaway was stopped in time rarely,, most need a new engine,, £2000-£4000 bill at that point,, then look at from a point of future proofing it and what cost, new turbo £200, new dpf filter £115, plus £300 worth of garage time maybe, the best bit at least then you should be able to drive it around knowing ts fine for another 80.000 miles, or could take the view and i see this a lot its not broken yet so dont fix it these people tend to have the biggest bills.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts