MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running a turbo conversion on here?...preferably on a Cooper. I have just seen some stuff on autofashions website. Just wondering if anyone has a conversion, or more specifically this one?

Comments?...drivability and reliability?

Ta

R

·
Registered
109 Posts
Two of my team members ran turbo coopers for a while, one sold his car, the other one is waiting on the final changes before the turbo goes back on to her car.

There is a few threads on www.teammightyminiz.com/forum feel free to ask us anything about turbos, they both loved the turbo feel in the little cooper :D :cool:

·
Registered
382 Posts
We has a Turbo Cooper S

Richard Crofts said:
Anyone running a turbo conversion on here?...preferably on a Cooper. I have just seen some stuff on autofashions website. Just wondering if anyone has a conversion, or more specifically this one?

Ta

R
We have a turbo conversion. We have tested 2 different turbos, the first was a Turbonetics T3, boost cam on about 3500 and reached full boost at 5000 at 20psi. Felt a little doggy down low, (doggy meaning twice as fast as a stock car) but then it almost broke your neck as it hit full boost. Dynoed HP was about 287. We now has a Garrett GT28 more boost at the bottom, almost no lag at all, very drivable, and my guess is another 15 to 20 hp. So around 300. The car at full throttle will smoke the tires in second gear.when it reachs boost.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm not so sure a Cooper would be good to torbo?

Richard Crofts said:

Ta

R
The engine on the cooper is not as durable as the S. There are a few internal differences that would make a turbo a poor choice for a cooper. The crank is not forged, the rods are powder rods, not forged, pistons are cast, and high compression, and the valves are much softer material than on the "S". You would not want to run any boost over 6 or 7 psi. and I'm not sure if that would even be a good idea. I know of a few cars out there with turbo kits but no real track time as far as I've seen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts