MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that dont know, I am currently working on converting my MINI to turbo for both performance(mid/top end) and fuel economy. Its certainly turning out to be quite an experience and learning curve for me.

Full details are up on my site where all the latest news/updates will be published :)

http://www.miniproject.co.uk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Keep us posted MINI-Morgan! :)

What camshaft are you running with the RMW cylinder head?

Jeremy

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep us posted MINI-Morgan! :)

What camshaft are you running with the RMW cylinder head?

Jeremy
Hi

Only running the stock cam at the moment but its an option later on to try. Improving fuel economy is one of my major goals so we'll have to see how that is effected.

Unless plans have changed i'll have another big update in a weeks time. The Gearbox is the next area to rebuild before I get get onto the fun turbo SC removal work.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Loving the website, and seeing how it progresses, as a student, im slowly preparing for a turbo conversion...wont be finished till next year tho :rolleyes:
Do you reckon you will get around 40mpg on the motorway with the turbo?

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Loving the website, and seeing how it progresses, as a student, im slowly preparing for a turbo conversion...wont be finished till next year tho :rolleyes:
In answer....yes.... since I get 42mpg at the moment with some careful 70mph driving. I would expect a nice increase in mpg with no SC or mechanical water pump to turn :) I am hoping an all around mpg increase. for 18psi of boost it will require the same amount of fuel as an SC for 18psi boost but would be producing much more hp and so less time accelerating. Thats the theory but i'll let you know how much of that becomes reality soon....

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
40mpg might be optimistic, I that's about what I get in a 2004 ONE. :p Perhaps mid-30's is more likely for a 1st Generation Turbo-conversion S. ;)

·
Registered
460 Posts
i was discussing the mpg with my chief test pilot this week, he managed 45 in his cooper s while my cooper struggles to get 40, (70 mph down the motor way was our test speed)

I have put it down to the fact that @ 70mph in 6th the cooper s dose 1k rpm or so less than the cooper, going to be interesting to see how it changes when i put a 6 speed with a lighter flywheel in the cooper.

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi James!

John gets similar mpg to me on the motorway. Its all about not accelerating up hills and gravity being your friend but most of all staying at 70mph and not going any higher. I can understand people not being believing as if I still had my old 02 reg MCS id laugh if anyone said above 30mpg was possible but the facelifts just seem to be so much better on fuel when cruising.

·
Registered
460 Posts
tis good to the projects coming on, have you finished running in the pistons yet, im going to be taking my car apart (well its new engine ;)) apart over the winter and should have something amusing next year, the amount of work i do depends on weather or not i run the m7 nitrous system :D.

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
I have put it down to the fact that @ 70mph in 6th the cooper s dose 1k rpm or so less than the cooper, going to be interesting to see how it changes when i put a 6 speed with a lighter flywheel in the cooper.
That would be interesting to know... keep us posted! ;) :D

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tis good to the projects coming on, have you finished running in the pistons yet, im going to be taking my car apart (well its new engine ;)) apart over the winter and should have something amusing next year, the amount of work i do depends on weather or not i run the m7 nitrous system :D.
I would say they were run in after the first 500miles. I was employing the hard running in technique though as its the only one that seems to make sense to me. Now with well over double the miles im sure they are now. :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
How much is the M7 nitrous system james? Might be a nice toy to have after i get my own engine built :D
M7RSP is £474 with all the kit needed for fitting and wiring etc, the price does not include filling, but comes with 8 different nozzles from mild to wild (will get exact shot bhp figures of m7) but im sure a discount for the first person to buy one can be arranged ;) :D

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nice, whens the next phase starting ? electric water pump / custom manifold / air intake ? im guessing your going for one of the mid-range garrett turbos ?
Yep, electric and custom exhaust and intake manifold. Turbo is a reasonable size... GT28. This is the only size that gives the efficiency to be able to give me the target boost im looking for.

Next phase should be next weekend hopefully :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts