MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if it was needed to have a turbo timer.. ive got a spare turbo timer and curious to know if i needed one on my MCS, i dont mind hooking it up to the car although not sure if it is good for the car or not i wouldnt want to over heat anything not to familiar with the superchargers thats all...

should i install it or should i not install it?

would anyone have wiring instructions by the way?

thanks,
willy

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
I have no idea on this subject, but am interested to hear what others have to say...

I've never heard of Anyone on MINI2 with a turbo timer! i kinda thought they were only necessary for very done up turbos? :confused: :p

i know the Mitsubushi lancer EVO VII (previous model) had a turbo timer...

i dont even think the WRX STI has a turbo timer though.. so i doubt that it would be beneficial for any MINI

·
Registered
94 Posts
the problem with Turbos that requires a turbo timer is that they are driven from the exhaust side of the engine and are basically an impeller/compressor wheel sitting either side of a center bearing with turbo cars if you have just been hammering it and switch the car off the turbo will keep spinning but with the car off the oil pump is no longer curculating oil around the bearing and whille the turbine spins down it can heat up and fry the oil that is there causing it to carbonise or burn off and damaging the bearing also most turbos nowadays are water cooled as well so the water also stops circulating removing any cooling the turbo timer lets the turbine spins down to an idle speed at which poin it is safe to turn the car off.

Given a supercharger is belt driven from the engine when you switch the engine of it stops spinning therefore you don't have the same issue a supercharger is also a fundamentally different beast in design as well the only common point is both the turbo and the supercharger compress air to provide forced induction and improve the volumetric effieincy of the engine.

Now I aint no mechanic so am open to correction ;)

Cheers
Richard

·
Registered
14 Posts
Richard, you are absolutely correct in the turbo oiling thing, but I would wonder if that "turbo timer" setup might not help cool the bearings after shutdown. I think that there is no such thing as too much lubrication/cooling. ;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
any one know anything on warranty issues?
this doesnt really affect anything with your car just relays the wires a bit.. any one got any idea?

·
Registered
94 Posts
welder said:
Richard, you are absolutely correct in the turbo oiling thing, but I would wonder if that "turbo timer" setup might not help cool the bearings after shutdown. I think that there is no such thing as too much lubrication/cooling. ;)
Ther is always time for lubrication :p

·
All 4 wheels pointed down
656 Posts
Agreed with Richard. The turbo timer allows the car to idle for a specified time duration. This allows the oil to circulate through the system while reducing the oil temperature. This prevents hot oil in the engine from coking up in the oil lines. This also helps increase the life of the turbo since it runs hot from the exhaust gases (since it is exhaust gas driven). This is really something for turbos since they are reliant on oil, and oil at a safe operating temperature. You "typically" do not need a timer on a stock turbo car, this is more for a vehicle with a larger turbo(s) or a car running more boost.

On a side note or definition:

Oil coking takes place whenever bearing surface temperatures exceed 330 degrees Fahrenheit. Coking is the primary reason for turbo failure.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IML337 said:
you don't need a turbo timer for a supercharged car
would it be bad for the car if i was to put one on anyways?

its lying around so i might as well.. no point selling it cause its not worth much..

any idea on the wiring instructions?
i guess no ones ever install one on their mcs?

·
Registered
532 Posts
wrecky said:

its lying around so i might as well.. no point selling it cause its not worth much..

superchargers dont run as hot as turbos.. since it doesnt deal with exhaust gases...
the roots supercharger doesnt even compress air.. speeds it up thats all.

·
racing is in my blood
203 Posts
agree with IML, you don't need it and it will cause more problems than it will solve.

Sure it's turning the engine and keeping the bearings lubricated BUT, its also leaving a hot engine running with no air flow. this can raise underbonnet temperatures.

Turbo timers are a bit dubious anyway, the preferred option for rally cars is to drive slowly for the final couple of miles of a journey. most turbos are water/liquid cooled anyway.

if BMW are happy to not use any sort of timer on the Works (with warranty etc) , then chances are it'll be safe enough.

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
wrecky said:

as you can see above, there's no point - don't do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts