MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post so be kind.Im thinking of getting a cooper s but im bit unsure which model.I know everyone has different opinions.I just wanted to know what the performance figures are for each model as standard and also the tuning kits availiable from john cooper what they are?how much are they for each model? and what performance advantage you get from these bhp/torque etc?Thanks for any help

·
24hr
248 Posts
Hi and welcome :smile:

Best thing to do is click the FAQ & DIY tab at the top of the page and have a read you'll find most of the answers to your questions in there matey.

·
Morph-a-Doodle
3,074 Posts
First post so be kind.Im thinking of getting a cooper s but im bit unsure which model.I know everyone has different opinions.I just wanted to know what the performance figures are for each model as standard and also the tuning kits availiable from john cooper what they are?how much are they for each model? and what performance advantage you get from these bhp/torque etc?Thanks for any help
With Petrol over a pound a litre and the Turbo version of the Cooper S gives on average of 12 miles more per Gallon without compromising on the Performance theirs really NO Question in what you should Choose.

Rams

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
With Petrol over a pound a litre and the Turbo version of the Cooper S gives on average of 12 miles more per Gallon without compromising on the Performance theirs really NO Question in what you should Choose.

Rams
It's not actually that simple though. If you're considering an R53 car (supercharged) over an R56 (turbo) and buying either secondhand, then the R53 will be older and will have suffered more of the depreciation curve. The grand or so difference that you'd then have after a couple of years of owning the car will likely offset the difference in fuel economy.
Also - this is an entirely different debate :) - but you may prefer the supercharged car over the turbo anyway. Generally speaking - this is what's better about the R56:

Rides better
Faster (as quick as the supercharged JCW according to some)
Quieter (especially at speed)
Cheaper to run (fuel economy / road tax)

And what's better about the R53:

Feels faster (gives a greater sensation of speed, due to supercharger whine/extra road noise)
More feelsome steering (the 'magic' to quote Autocar)
More instant throttle response
Easier to tune (should that be your bag)
Looks better (to probably 70% of people)

Obviously everybody has their own opinions on these issues, so read them all and then make up your own mind!

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
I just wanted to know what the performance figures are for each model as standard and also the tuning kits availiable from john cooper what they are?
Code:
+-----------------------+-----+-----+
|  Generation + Model   | kW  | Nm  |
| 1st Gen "S" < 2004-07 | 120 | 210 |
| 1st Gen "S" > 2004-06 | 125 | 220 |
| 1st Gen JCW - Stage 1 | 147 | 240 | 
| 1st Gen JCW - Stage 2 | 154 | 245 |
| 1st Gen JCW - GP      | 160 | 250 |
| 2nd Gen "S"           | 128 | 240 |
| 2nd Gen JCW - Stage 1 | 141 | 250 |
| 2nd Gen JCW - Factory | 155 | 260 |

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Code:
|  Generation + Model   | kW  | nM  |
| 1st Gen "S" < 2004-07 | 120 | 210 |
| 1st Gen "S" > 2004-06 | 125 | 220 |
| 1st Gen JCW - Stage 1 | 147 | 240 | 
| 1st Gen JCW - Stage 2 | 154 | 245 |
| 1st Gen JCW - GP      | 160 | 250 |
| 2nd Gen "S"           | 128 | 240 |
| 2nd Gen JCW - Stage 1 | 141 | 250 |
| 2nd Gen JCW - Factory | 155 | 260 |
And, from memory - here are the quoted 0-62mph times for old and new:

Facelift R53: 7.2
R53 JCW210: 6.8

R56: 7.1
R56 JCW206 (factory fit): 6.5

There's a few road tests that have found the R56 to go quicker than quoted too. Autocar reckoned their example would have done 6.5secs on a dry track... (R56 is lighter than R53 and would seem to have a low estimate of the power output, many examples put out 180bhp+ on a rolling road).

·
Morph-a-Doodle
3,074 Posts
I've Had both
R53

&
R56

I've got to admit i loved my Supercharger and i still do, but times change and you move on from old technology into new, does anybody want to pay more on fuel?.:biggrin:

I think I may have a video to prove my wears!
R53 Vs R56 John Cooper Works on Vimeo

Enough Said!

Rams

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers for all the help i can see fors and againsts on both,im gonna go and have a go in a few at local dealer see what i reckon,do many people stick with the jcw power upgrades or after market ones.thanks again

·
Registered
812 Posts
I've Had both
R53

&
R56

I've got to admit i loved my Supercharger and i still do, but times change and you move on from old technology into new, does anybody want to pay more on fuel?.:biggrin:

I think I may have a video to prove my wears!
R53 Vs R56 John Cooper Works on Vimeo

Enough Said!

Rams
if my memory serves me right! a white r56 jcw with no 99 on its doors was in my way all the way down kirkstone pass..:D rams..;)

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
As per my avatar ;)

I love the charger noise and it's the first thing (well after the moon roof) that people notice. I never tire of hearing "WOW that sounds mental... in a good way!" and it's not just blokes either :D . As much as a like the new works and it has it's own nice exhaust noise... but thats all it is. Exhaust, the rest of it is just another turbo engine.

The charger has linear power delivery and no lag, i never tire of the way it goes from 30-70mph, sub 6 secs in 3rd and around 4 secs in 2nd (preface gear box). It is a bit tweaked though :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
As per my avatar ;)

I love the charger noise and it's the first thing (well after the moon roof) that people notice. I never tire of hearing "WOW that sounds mental... in a good way!" and it's not just blokes either :D . As much as a like the new works and it has it's own nice exhaust noise... but thats all it is. Exhaust, the rest of it is just another turbo engine.

The charger has linear power delivery and no lag, i never tire of the way it goes from 30-70mph, sub 6 secs in 3rd and around 4 secs in 2nd (preface gear box). It is a bit tweaked though :D
+1

I've come from a Corsa VXR to a R53 S, and it's brilliant. The Corsa was quick in gear, but the Mini feels so much quicker, and the whine is just awesome :D

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Cheers for all the help i can see fors and againsts on both,im gonna go and have a go in a few at local dealer see what i reckon,do many people stick with the jcw power upgrades or after market ones.thanks again
Yes - best thing to do is just to drive both and see which you prefer...

As for tuning options, if you're looking at tuning a second hand R53 then I think most people here would recommend going aftermarket. The JCW kit is expensive (you're looking at £3.5k+ fitted) and it's primary advantage of keeping the warranty would now be becoming less relevant. You can change the pulley and plugs for about £500 which will give you the same or more power as the JCW kit, so for most people it's a no-brainer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
And, from memory - here are the quoted 0-62mph times for old and new:

Facelift R53: 7.2
R53 JCW210: 6.8

R56: 7.1
R56 JCW206 (factory fit): 6.5

There's a few road tests that have found the R56 to go quicker than quoted too. Autocar reckoned their example would have done 6.5secs on a dry track... (R56 is lighter than R53 and would seem to have a low estimate of the power output, many examples put out 180bhp+ on a rolling road).
6.5 instead of 6.8 isnt exactly stunning though is it!?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have an O5 works and have driven the R56 stage one and the new Mini John Cooper Works.

I feel mine is smoother to drive, the R56 stage one works felt like a bit of a trial to drive, and had turbo lag unless you were in exactly the right gear (you get instant response at all times and gears with the supercharger) at all times. It did seem fast once it kicked in but not such an enjoyable drive.

The new works was something else though and the lag was virtually gone. With the uprated brakes and gearbox it felt amazing. I want one! Couldnt say that about the stage 1 aftermarket works at all.

However, will I miss Swipers whine too much and regret it? Dont know and cant decide!

The speed difference is negligible between them all really, best driver would win!, but the new works is amazing. Could be a bit louder though, you cant hear it from inside and its not real loud outside either. Very hard decision.

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
However, will I miss Swipers whine too much and regret it? Dont know and cant decide!

The speed difference is negligible between them all really, best driver would win!, but the new works is amazing. Could be a bit louder though, you cant hear it from inside and its not real loud outside either. Very hard decision.
Yes, the speed difference is pretty negligible in the real world. If you're concerned more with just how fast your car FEELS, then the R53 wins every time :D

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
The choice is simple dependent on what you want.

The R53 MCS had a cuter face, sublime handling, and the engine had plenty of character. However poor fuel economy and high CO2 emissions make it more expensive to run. Buy if you like driving but don't do too many miles. It will definitely put a big grin on your face. It is a car for enthusiasts.

The R56 MCS is a much more refined car, with a great ride and a sophisticated engine. This means plenty of torque, great fuel economy, and low CO2 emissions making it fast and cheap to run, but perhaps lacking slightly in character. Buy if you like driving but do lots of miles. It will still put on a big grin on your face. It is like a MINI grand tourer!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts