MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 464 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Test drove a 53 Cooper S and a 05 Civic Type R today and i was quite dissapointed with the Cooper S, i was expecting it to be really quick but it didnt feel very fast atall. Yes the supercharger really makes a big difference but it wasnt as responsive as i'd have hoped and just felt slugish when i planted my foot to the floor. The Type R on the other hand felt seriously quick, at 6k revs it goes bananas right up to its 8k red line, as soon as i floored it i cud feel the engine trying to rip itself out of the body and it really felt more dramatic, not to mention the bucket seats are such a nice place to be.

Im only 19 at the mo so insurance will be stupid for both these cars but come next year i think im gunna go for the Type R im afraid, unless the Cooper S Works is fast.

Your thoughts please?

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
I think you hit the nail on the head there...at 6k revs it goes banana's..so you'd be thrashing the @rse off it all day..whereas the MINI would give you a smile before 6k revs :D
Both will be expensive to insure until your 20's with max no claims bonus.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got a quote for the Type R, 20 year old male with 2 years NCB ... £1800!! which is really good. (where as 19 yr old male, 1 years NCB...£4000 lol think al wait til next year)

mm the Cooper S really didnt feel very eagre to rev, whereas the type r was as mad as a badger! lol. As soon as i touched the pedel in the type r it started to acclelerate where with the cooper s it was more gentle (boring)

·
Registered
988 Posts
Civic Type R - 6.4s / 31 mpg / Ins 17
Cooper S - 7.2s / 33 mpg / Ins 15
Cooper S JCW - 6.4s / 32 mpg / Ins 17

Maybe worth a drive in an MCS with a 15% / 17% supercharger pulley, if possible.

The thing that I like about my MCS (03), is that it's **** off a shovel, without revving the dangly bits off it.

·
MINI2 Veteran
701 Posts
I just got a quote for the Type R, 20 year old male with 2 years NCB ... £1800!! which is really good. (where as 19 yr old male, 1 years NCB...£4000 lol think al wait til next year)

mm the Cooper S really didnt feel very eagre to rev, whereas the type r was as mad as a badger! lol. As soon as i touched the pedel in the type r it started to acclelerate where with the cooper s it was more gentle (boring)
Do you have any need for this kind of speed at 19 / 20? - Do you not think its a bit excessive?

Have the mini, tons more charachter and even tho its not super fast, its a good car. Honda is just a honda.

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Also worth pointing out that the 53 plate you'll have driven was a pre-facelift model. These have less power (163 v 170) and longer gearing, meaning that they do feel noticeably less perky than 54 plate onward cars.

Still, you don't buy the Mini for outright speed, you buy it because you love the way it goes round corners and because you don't want to look like a chav (in my opinion, anyway) :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
maybe not as fast but twice as fun and goes round corners like a cow on rollerskates

·
Registered
117 Posts
Theres no denying that the Typre is R is an excellent car (I have 2 mates that have them) but I think looks a little dull compared to the minis character, especially on the inside.... Kinda hate the type R interiors personally! I prefer the sound of the Mini too, cant beat that supercharger whine!

·
M3 CSL
724 Posts
My mate had an 05 CTR and when my 55 plate Cooper S (170bhp) was stock the CTR was slightly quicker but there was not much in it. Fitted a 15% pulley and the CTR couldn't keep up. The CTRs are quite expensive to mod as well so I'm told.

Cooper S all the way:biggrin: but get a facelift one:wink:

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
I like type-Rs especially the DC2 integras but the Mini does it for me!

I had the choice of a Civic VTI or Mini Cooper and I went for the Cooper tho it had 30-40bhp less. I bought the Cooper due its personality (if thats the right word) and loved the classic!

You don't buy a Mini for straight line speed you buy it for the fun factor! They are faster and loads more fun down twisty roads. As people have said, If you want to be as quick as a type R get a 15 or 17% pulley fitted for under £300!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Cooper 'S' and Civic Type-R

I bought a new Type-R (facelift model) February 04, then part exchanged it for a new MCS July last year.

I much prefer the MCS because it handles much better, does 10 more miles per gallon and requires less effort to drive than the 'R' : -

To get the power from the 'R' you have to keep at high revs to get VTEC, consequently you have to keep changing gear.
The 'R' is expensive to run:-
a) Set of new front tyres after 7k miles
b) Annual service £250 - £300
c) Road Tax £280

In a straight line over ½ a mile the 'R' would have the edge over the MCS over a , but not by very much.
The Turbocharger of the MCS gives it a big advantage over the 'R' as you get instant power at low revs, whereas you need to rev the 'R' hard in low gears to get the same effect..

The paintwork of the Honda is very poor and chips easily especially the bonnet area. The MCS is better built and far less primitive compared to the 'R'.

The 'R' has a very poor turning circle compared to the MCS, and is difficult to manoeuvre in restricted areas i.e. car parks.
They are both good cars so it's a matter of personal choice ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
yea i think it depends how you like your power...i havent driven a type r, but i did drive a clio 197 which is a similarly high-rev thriving engine, tho i guess not quite as extreme.

some people prefer to rev the hell out of their cars and sit near the red line all the time - for them those cars are great (although more expensive to fuel and more strain on the engines for sure!)

but i, like others, prefer to have a more even spread of usable power - i just feel more comfortable with that style of driving and i feel it can be used more of the time on most of todays driving as well!

so for me, something like the cooper s (on order as i type!) felt ideal - i dont thrash my cars all the time, and will just have a dab of the mcs response and power as and when i choose, at whatever revs :)

also, as caesar says, isnt the new tyre r rather on the large side?! - i drove a regular new shape civic pool car at work and it felt like a tank to manouevre :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ill tell you what mate.
iv just got rid of my 106 rallye which did a 15.1 1/4 mile, was quicker than civic type r's and cooper s's in a straight line. (usualy depending on a better driver than me)
but iv sold it for a mini cooper
because iv started to realise im only 18 years old and i was driving a 106 with an engine conversion that had a saftey rating of around 0 stars. the second reason i got rid was because of what it said about me, it said that i was a skint little chav who had an old car, yes it was quick and yes i loved it on track.
where im trying to go with this is, imo civic type r's are driven by well off chavs where as cooper s's are driven by a better class of people.
the power is there whenever you want it and if you were on a track day (iv only done rockingham) you would prefer this coming out of corners and having that supercharger there instantly.
not sure i have made mutch sense here but i have just tried to put my reasoning accross for buying an s.
im also buying one when i reach 20 but realy am in no rush for a silly quick car anymore.
hope i have somehow helped mate.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay so the Type R dosen't have the charisma, pedegree or the poise of the Mini, i know this from first hand experience of owning my lovely Mini ONE (Bluefin). But lets look at the pure facts, the Type R is a cheaper car to buy 2nd hand and it is far faster than a standard Cooper S!

Yes the power delivery of the Type R leaves a lot to be desired, it would be nice if you didnt have to knock 7 bells out of the engine. But in order to get a mini to match the power im looking at an extra £2k for a 2nd hand MCS Works. The achilies heel of the Type R is the lack of torque, meaning not only do you have to rev the nuts of the engine for the VTEC but there is a lot of changing of cogs to keep it on the boil in real life situations!

I was expecting the Cooper S to be this rocketship, it was fast dont get me wrong but it wasnt as fast as i'd hoped and a little too gentle in standard form.

However, during my test drive of the Cooper S i didnt manage to get it above 4.5k revs as i had the owner in the passenger seat lol... Now my mini one really opens up at 4k revs especially with the bluefin, obviously the cooper s engine is the same engine so whats the Cooper S like from 4k up to the red line?

Im interested in a car which will excite me off the line, stick to the road like my mini does and has the grunt to pull in any gear...

·
T o t a l m i n i . c o m
4,467 Posts
From 4k upwards it really pulls:D, extra noise and extra speed:D
I did the same when I test drive mine, had the dealer next to me and thought it was fast.
When I had a chance to test it on my own, getting to the top of the rev range I think that there is a big difference:D:D

1 - 20 of 464 Posts