MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anybody know the true deifference between these two models of tyre.....

EAGLE F1 GS-D3 205/40 ZR17 84W XL
EAGLE F1 GS-D3 205/40 R17 80W

Specifically the "Z", "XL", and "84" parts - what do they refer too?

I assume they are both rim-covering and both W speed rated to 168mph

I've been on the goodyear site and it just doesn't mention these specifics.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
K.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
The "Z" refers to tires which have a Speed Rating higher than 149 mph.

The "XL" means Extra Load.

The "84" is the Load Index.

Stock 205/45-17 tires have a 84 Load Index so you should go with the Goodyears having the same Load Index.

·
dyno-mite, might not....
1,037 Posts
only just started looking into this myself, so take with a pinch of salt, but i can confirm that there is as much opinion as there is fact about tyre choice, even the guys in f1 can get it wrong, so what chance has joe public got?
any way...
black circles has a web site with some good info on this, also price options and thumb nail comparisons between tyres, so worth a look?
not sure how the load index works, but as your car is now considerd two's company, three's bloody impossible. might not be that important in your case?
i would dig a little deeper
there is bound to be some trade off [ performance wise or cash wise] in achiving a higher load number,
just don't ask the clowns who work in my local tyre shop, who told me that changing to non-run flat would make the ride harder [they wanted to sell me £750.00 worth of runflats] robbing gits###

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

..for the info - i don't think I'll need that extra load so will go for the 80 non XL tyres me thinks.

While we are on prices...i have a quote for fitting one tyre to one wheel - £24 (includes all the usual stuff, valve, balancing etc.)

Now i have found a place that can do this for £7.50 but now I start to think, why the massive difference in price??? will the standards really be that much different?

Cheers,
K.

·
dyno-mite, might not....
1,037 Posts
no real idea why
but a few ideas could be

1] advertise low cost tyres, but sting with the fitting charge?
2] make good margin on the rubber and fit at cost

both ways may give same net result if you buy as a package cost wise
town centre fitters, will have to higher costs/rates to cover location
all you need to know is your car/wheels have TLC during fitting, so visit when quiet and the fitters have the time to look after you, rather than rushing nr closing time

i guess its like builders, your best bet is with local recommendations

one other thing has anybody else come across this before, sounds a good reason to pay extra
i think i would all other things being equal

Uniflate – The Ultimate in tyre inflation

·
cristo
2,836 Posts
..for the info - i don't think I'll need that extra load so will go for the 80 non XL tyres me thinks.

I've been told around here that if I did that (tires with less than specified load rating), my car wouldn't pass inspection.

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Load

I've been told around here that if I did that (tires with less than specified load rating), my car wouldn't pass inspection.
I don't think the non XL tyres are underated regarding load bearing ability for the MINI.

Remember, 205/40/17 are also used by many saloon vehicles (sedan in the USA).

Cheers,
K.

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
I don't think the non XL tyres are underated regarding load bearing ability for the MINI.

Remember, 205/40/17 are also used by many saloon vehicles (sedan in the USA).

Cheers,
K.
Hi,

You are just wrong here, and don't understand load ratings.

If you mount tyres that carry a load rating less than that recommended by the manufacturer, then the car is technically illegal on the road, and could be defected. Worse still, in an accident your insurer could decline your insurance in a worse case scenario :eek:

The recommended minimum load rating for a mini on 17inch wheels is 84 (note is differs for 15, 16 and 18 inch)

Tyres of exactly the same dimensions can come in many different load ratings.

The two tyres you mention have different load ratings, one is 80 and the other 84. This is what the 80 and 84 mean in the tyre numbers. The XL tyre is road legal for the mini as its load rating is 84, the "non XL" is not legal as the load rating of 80 is less than the 84 minumum required.

Having said that, there are many people driving around on tyres that are not legal for exactly this reason. Also, many tyre shops sell tyres that are illegal for the intended car. When was the last time a tyre shop ever asked or checked what load rating was the minimum required for your car before selling you the tyre. A lot of shops are just interested in selling the product :(

Cheers

Robbo

Reactions: minigolf and cristo

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good information

Thanks for that mate.

You are correct, i did not know the actual load bearing values for the MINI.

I will therefore go with the XL84 then.

Strange that Goodyear make 80 and 84, and use the term XL for Extra Loadbearing. I just had it in my mind that this meant heeeeeeeeavy cars, i should have checked.

Thanks again Robbo!!!;) ;) ;) :D

Cheers,
K.

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
Its odd then that the 18" Dunlop Run flats for the JCW wheels have a lower rating of 82 :confused: Thought it would of been higher for bigger wheels.

My Paradas have Load rating of 84.

·
cristo
2,836 Posts
nope. those low profile tires 18" have a short little sidewall that has to do the same work
and support as a 17, 16, or 15 inch tire's sidewall does.
This is also why the 205/40/17 has a lower load rating than a 205/45/17.

·
dyno-mite, might not....
1,037 Posts
tyre info

please see attached link

i think this just about covers it :cool:

Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible

i guess if you dig deep enough its amazing what you find out, my mcs tyres are 84 which means i can have a combined car and payload off 2 ton [metric]

must have been designed for the italian job from the start :D

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
18" runflats

Its odd then that the 18" Dunlop Run flats for the JCW wheels have a lower rating of 82 :confused: Thought it would of been higher for bigger wheels.

My Paradas have Load rating of 84.
WOW - i bet they are harsh :eek:

Cheers,
K.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts