MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed a new tyre today - I've got Dunlop Sport 200 175/65 on 15inch - There arn't any in Kent and I've had to order what's more one guy tried to quote me £97 + VAT outrageous - Anyway reckon I'll get a couple of spares for the garage in case it happens again - I've got a huge 'bolt' stuck in a front and am depressed I can't drive the thing until tommorrow afternoon!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
That sucks. Oh well, just be glad that you've got the non-runflats. They are really expensive.

I wonder how much it will cost to re-shod my 17" runflat summer tires on our S when it arrives?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Give THE TYRE COMPANY call, BURN RUBBER FOR LESS :D :D :D They advertise in AUTOCAR almost every week & they reckon they're cheap :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Give em a call for a price
0870 900 99 88 ;)

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
smiffy said:
Give THE TYRE COMPANY call, BURN RUBBER FOR LESS :D :D :D They advertise in AUTOCAR almost every week & they reckon they're cheap :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Give em a call for a price
0870 900 99 88 ;)
smiffy

You seem to have developed a rare bulletin board disease called fontitus - best see a doctor - Thanks for infor though!:D

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I dont know, you try & help someone...........:D :p :p :p ;)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Last time I dropped a nail (about 30cm long and about 1cm wide) through my tyre, I managed to get one through Hi-Q.
Check them out, if you haven't already.... But then I'm running Pirelli 15s.

J.

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
5,261 Posts
New Tyres

Most of the major tyre suppliers - ATS, Kwik-Fit, HiQ etc are geared towards the fleet, company car market. They thrive on Mr Rep in his maintenance-inclusive lease car turning up for a new tyre and just signing the invoice without flinching.

The tyre suppliers are becoming more competitive for private motorists with 2 for 1 offers etc but the major prob is that a tyre is either puncture-knackered or worn out - a distress purchase - so they can charge what they like and you often have to accept a different brand.

If it helps ATS are I think owned or in partnership with Michelin and Hi-Q is Goodyear owned. So if you urgently need a tyre of the same brand go to these places.

I used Elite in Rainham, Essex, mainly beacuse they have virtually any brand of performance biased tyre in stock and they have nifty laser tracking machines. They deal in huge alloys and you can be reassured that the fitter has the skill experience and proper equipment.

A tyre for my Saab (205/50ZR16 Goodyear Eagle F1) was £198 from Kwik-Fit and £97 at Elite - basically 2 for 1!! Sometimes Elite have special offers where they have 250 of one size and make. I bought 4 new tyres for my dads A-Class even though there's 6 months life left in the old ones.

·
Spectator
1,563 Posts
Re: New Tyres

dietcokeplease said:
A tyre for my Saab (205/50ZR16 Goodyear Eagle F1) was £198 from Kwik-Fit and £97 at Elite - basically 2 for 1!!
Even here in the US, it pays to call around for tire prices. A friend was looking for a set of four, and like you, he found a 2-to-1 price difference between the lowest and highest prices. Some of the shops were not even authorized by the manufacturer, and if he had bought from them, his would have had no warranty.

The usual trick here by shady tire dealers is to quote a price for the tire, but not mention anything about the cost of mounting, balancing, or putting a new valve stem in. These are usually the same guys who don't use the plastic protectors when mounting your tire onto the wheel, and scratch the rim up.

Chip H.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
racer, what estimates have you been given for the life span in miles for your tyres for racing?

Are you allowed to use slicks as well or just the standard tyre that comes with the car?

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ELISEBOY said:
racer, what estimates have you been given for the life span in miles for your tyres for racing?

Are you allowed to use slicks as well or just the standard tyre that comes with the car?
EB - It's a std control tyre which was my problem I can't have anything different not even compound so I'm sitting here waiting till later :( - Next year regs will probably change whether slicks are included remains to be seen but the extra stress put on susp' components normally means that costs are much higher than just switching to clicks

How long a tyre last depends on what it is Pirrelli 2000 about 5 hundred years - Yoko 032's about 50 laps

I would guess that these Dunlops are good for 2-3 races (minimum regulation tread depth is 3mm) otherwise may have got more out of them

Racer get used to it you are about to go through tyres quicker than Russ Swift.
I wouldn't mind if I'd actually got it anywhere near a track !!! - 450 miles must be a record for getting a knackered tyre

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't know if anyone got a better price, but I had to get a 16' Runflat replaced on the Cooper when some numpty tried to drive into the side of me, forcing me to drive up the kerb. The cost of replacement was 110.98 inclusive of VAT balancing, valve etc.

As has been suggested above this was from my local indipendant tyre fitters who have always been very competative.

Cheers Griff

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It gets worse

Having thought I'd found someone to supply I turned up to have tyre fitted and it was wrong size - Few quick calls by garage finds that all available stock is on back order

Quick call to JCW finds they have placed order for 500 or so hence no one else in the country seems to have any

Moral - If you've got a club sport make sure you don't get a puncture in the next few weeks !!!

Fortunately those very helpful people at JCW have a few in stock and are sending one by courier - another day witrhout putting on any miles though - :(

Thnaks for the suggestions guys unfortunately it appears no one can get these tyres at the mo other than JCW

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Minty said:
You could try Kwik-Fit's online tyre quote............

http://www.kwik-fit.com/index.asp?jump=tyres

£58.80 for Pirelli P3000 on the 15" rim, but i reckon can get them cheaper.

and no, i dont work for them, but they are the largest customer of the company i work for :D
Minty thanks for helkp unfortunately tyre MUST be Dunlop SP Sport 200*E nothing else will do (well it will but I'll end up donating my 20 points first place finish to TVRMan or Stephen !):)

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you JCW

A big thank - you and well done to JCW who managed to next day ship a tyre to me - thanks to them I will be on the road again in no time - Monopolies and mergers commission here I come:D :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts