MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all MINI owners,

I am a recent proud MINI R56 Dooper owner that loves his ride, although is still trying to make sense of some things. When it comes to manuals/manufacturers' instructions, I always follow the moto "they know best". And they do, they made this car so they know it inside and out, bumper to bumper. But... (there's always a but), when it comes to tyre pressure, my intuition (of how the car drives) is a little bit different and kinda goes against the manufacturers' one.

This (attached) is an image of the ideal tyre pressure according to the manufacturer. I remind you, I've got the 2013 (BMW engine - facelift) MINI R56, equipped with 15" alloys and 175/65 R15 run-flat tyres.

This means that, according to the manufacturer I should have between 2.4 and 2.6 bar pressure both in the front and the back tyres. I never have 4 people (maybe 3), with me, but I usually have 2 plus a boot that is full, so I'm keeping it to 2.5 at all times. But 2.5 bar is 36 PSI (!), which, combined with the already stiff MINI suspensions means I'm always up for a more 'tough' ride.

What would you recommend me to do? I've read several things of maybe lowering the front two wheels 2 PSI, but I'm not sure if that's correct for driving, plus the manufacturer should know better, right?

Any MINI owners that have gone beyond the manufacturers' recommendation in this sense?

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree, I have seen significantly different tyre pressures for my tyre type on Mini's, although I don't have run flats fitted so I don't know if that would be an issue.... but I run the front tyres 2 psi less than what's recommended on the manual. I also rarely drive with anyone else in the car, perhaps the kids, who weigh about as much as a dog!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
To be accurate needs time. Start by setting at the recommended pressures and measure tread depth. Regularly check the tread depth. Same wear across the tread pattern great don't change anything. If it wears fastest in the centre lower the pressure, wears fastest at both edges raise the pressure. Wears unevenly inside and outside check your geometry. Having said that I have found that it rarely differs by much. Oh and a heavier right foot also moves wear to the centre.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

@ Tony, I'm in the same situation. Me and my partner both weigh 110 kg combined, so that's hardly evidence of the "max 2 people" category :D

@ Steve that's actually clever! :) I'll do that and measure them once a week (this is how often I visit the gas station to check the pressure)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts