MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Blue is the colour!
13,507 Posts
http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79391

It's really trial and error, so long as your tyres are wearing evenly, just run whatever your happy with. It is amazing how your car handling characteristics can change with different pressures. Although running 18s on a MINI might leave a bit less room for movement with those tiny sidewalls.

;)

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
PortRhombus said:
Im running Toyo Proxies 18''. :)

What tyre pressures should I be sitting on? :eb: :rolleyes:
A good starting point for pressure can be calculated knowing the weight of the vehicle(MCS = 2678lbs) the distribution of the weight front/rear (60.5% front 39.5% rear)and the rated capacity of the tyre(215/35-18 [email protected]).

Weight per tyre - front = 2678x.605/2 = 810 lbs
Weight per tyre - rear = 2678x.395/2 = 528 lbs

Front tyre pressure = 50psi/1102 ~ x/810 = 36.8 psi
Rear tyre pressure = 50/1102 ~ x/528 = 24 psi

These should be good starting pressures. Monitor tyre wear on a regular schedule and you can adjust the pressure up or down to maintain even tread wear.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
I must agree with those figures ,I have found the back wants to be about 10psi less than the front (1or 2 up). All this 34 psi in the back is madness. I use combination of lap times and looking for even wear to establish tyre pressures. Another criteria is wall stiffness,
you can see( particularly on the front )if the walls are mega stiff by the very short ( front to back) footprint,in this instance I would go down on the pressures to lenghen it. Also try looking at the footprint length with say 34psi front & back. The rear will be about half as long.!
If you want to get the car to turn in, its better to gain grip at the front (wider front track,
a little toe out etc) than by reducing rear grip.It will be very nervous and liable to snap out at the rear if rear pressures too high. .
Regards Roland GT Tuning.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
obe Yes weight is the enemy,so ensure you keep all passengers out at all times.
One trick is to remove all the other seats then they have to walk! Seriously though you would want to add a bit of rear end pressure when transporting luggage ,monster sound systems or rear seat passengers ;) Regards Roland Gt Tuning

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
roland2003 said:
obe Yes weight is the enemy,so ensure you keep all passengers out at all times.
One trick is to remove all the other seats then they have to walk! Seriously though you would want to add a bit of rear end pressure when transporting luggage ,monster sound systems or rear seat passengers ;) Regards Roland Gt Tuning
:D

Tempting but my wife and daughter love the car so much our minivan doen't get used :rolleyes:
Now if I could just afford 2............

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.