MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, hope someone will be able to help.

I recently purchased a Mini Cooper S R53. On my way back from where I picked it up from, an amber tyre pressure light came on, on the dash. I drove to the local garage and inflated the tyres to the correct pressure. I drove home a mile or so away and noticed the light still on. Realising I needed to reset the tyre pressure warning light, I located the button, pressed and held it for 10 seconds, drove around the block and the light went off. Great.

However, a few days later, I noticed that the front left tyre was going flat. But no warning light came on. I took it to the garage again and re inflated the tyre, but noticed that it was way, way under pressure. So the light should have come on as it did before. But it didn't

I'm going to get 2 new front tyre in a few days, but my worry now is that the warning light won't come on again if my tyres start to lose pressure.

Tyres are 205/45 R 17 88 W XL and should be inflated to 2.3 bar / 33psi. When I first inflated the tyres, I got them all to this pressure. However, when I noticed the front left going flat a few days later and re-inflated it, it was down to 10psi, so surely the warning light should have come on.

Can anyone shed any light on this and reassure me that everything is okay?

·
Registered
71 Posts
What year car?
The early cars use a 'tone ring' on the hubs to detect a difference in the rotational size of a deflating tyre. The same method is used for the ABS & DSC/ASC traction systems.
Later cars use sensors mounted on the valve stem inside the tyres.
It can take a mile or two to reset either system.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Hi all, hope someone will be able to help.

I recently purchased a Mini Cooper S R53. On my way back from where I picked it up from, an amber tyre pressure light came on, on the dash. I drove to the local garage and inflated the tyres to the correct pressure. I drove home a mile or so away and noticed the light still on. Realising I needed to reset the tyre pressure warning light, I located the button, pressed and held it for 10 seconds, drove around the block and the light went off. Great.

However, a few days later, I noticed that the front left tyre was going flat. But no warning light came on. I took it to the garage again and re inflated the tyre, but noticed that it was way, way under pressure. So the light should have come on as it did before. But it didn't

I'm going to get 2 new front tyre in a few days, but my worry now is that the warning light won't come on again if my tyres start to lose pressure.

Tyres are 205/45 R 17 88 W XL and should be inflated to 2.3 bar / 33psi. When I first inflated the tyres, I got them all to this pressure. However, when I noticed the front left going flat a few days later and re-inflated it, it was down to 10psi, so surely the warning light should have come on.

Can anyone shed any light on this and reassure me that everything is okay?
below link should cover it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What year car?
The early cars use a 'tone ring' on the hubs to detect a difference in the rotational size of a deflating tyre. The same method is used for the ABS & DSC/ASC traction systems.
Later cars use sensors mounted on the valve stem inside the tyres.
It can take a mile or two to reset either system.
It's a 53 plate, so 2003/2004. You're right in that it doesn't have a sensor, but a "tone ring". I'll give it a few more miles, but hopefully I'll have new tyres soon anyway. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts