MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What tyre pressures are people using on their MCS?
I have the standard 17" Flames and the pressures shown on my door sticker show 2.5Bar in normal driving (2 people).

We now have a 5 week old Mini One and the door sticker on it shows the 17" wheels having a pressure of only 2.1Bar.

Does anyone know which is correct please?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I have the standard 17" Flames and the pressures shown on my door sticker show 2.5Bar in normal driving (2 people).

We now have a 5 week old Mini One and the door sticker on it shows the 17" wheels having a pressure of only 2.1Bar.

I have 17" wheels on my MCS and have the front tyres at 34.00 psi and rear on 32.0 psi. I find this to be the best compromise with run-flats otherwise the ride is hard on poor surfaces. Pressures would need to be higher with driver a 3 passengers.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

Tony, they're both correct. A Mini One is lighter than a MCS and so doesn't need as high a tyre pressure.

I personally run 33psi front and 38psi rear on my 18" R105 rims. This is the high load setting but i choose this in an effort to reduce any understeer.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

They mustnt be too bad though because they have now done14k and i reckon that i could see them reach 20k. Not bad for the fronts.

·
Noob
247 Posts
I run mine much higher than everyone else. I was advised by the manager at Bridgestone here when I changed the tyres to run the front at 37 psi.

I run my back at 36 psi.

·
t o t a l m i n i . c o m
2,758 Posts
hey!

im having problems with my tyres, mine are pirelli 17" runflats on S spokes, however when i checked the tyres, the tread has went completely down the the string etc right in the centre of the tyre, however the outside of the tyre was fine, this is the oldest tyre so i had to change it anyway, however the other 3 are doing the same thing?

I called my mechanic about this and he told me this was due to over inflation, then when i swapped the tyres over he said it was due to under inflation???:confused:

I have them at 30PSI or 2.1 bar? can anyone shed any light on this problem?

·
Cleaning Whore
356 Posts
hey!

im having problems with my tyres, mine are pirelli 17" runflats on S spokes, however when i checked the tyres, the tread has went completely down the the string etc right in the centre of the tyre, however the outside of the tyre was fine, this is the oldest tyre so i had to change it anyway, however the other 3 are doing the same thing?

I called my mechanic about this and he told me this was due to over inflation, then when i swapped the tyres over he said it was due to under inflation???:confused:

I have them at 30PSI or 2.1 bar? can anyone shed any light on this problem?
i had the exact same problem, with the same wheels, was running at 32psi front and 30psi rear, that was on the tesco tyre inflator, going to run them at 30 psi and 28psi rear.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I think you will find over inflation will cause premature wear on the center tread, and under inflation will cause the outer tread to wear. I am running on 34 psi front and 33 psi rear using run-flats. Most of the time it's just me in the car and my MCS has done 8,000 miles from new and (touch wood) the wear is even. I would increase the above pressures if I had more passengers.

·
t o t a l m i n i . c o m
2,758 Posts
It sounds like over inflation

what are you using to measure the pressures?
i have been using the tyre air machines in tesco etc,, but i have a small pressure guage that i use! im going to try and get a new tyre next week anyway so just mana make sure my pressures are all ok;)

i had the exact same problem, with the same wheels, was running at 32psi front and 30psi rear, that was on the tesco tyre inflator, going to run them at 30 psi and 28psi rear.
well i had mine at 30PSI all around i think? but i checked the pressure there when i took the wheel off and it was still at 30? i have other wheels on at the moment so they are currently in the garage till i get a new tyre, the power steering etc is so much lighter with the S spokes off!;)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Garages/Petrol Stations are notorious for having inaccurate tyre guages......but their petrol pumps are spot on :D

Suggest a digital battery hand held guage from say Halford's is the best option plus a tyre pump that run's off the car's cigarette lighter socket.....you can then easily adjust the pressures anytime.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts