MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Hypedem
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my car last night after I have had the handling fixed and was playing with the handling. If I am going round a large roundabout (which is nationat speed limit) and my tyres start to screech a bit, how much more can i push it before the car would actually enter a spin.. I always worry about that?

·
British Racing Dirt
579 Posts
Your tyres are screeching as they are getting exerted to lateral force fighting the road friction, and the squealing is telling you that you are pushing it. I would guess not much more. If you really want to know pay £100 and attend a track day somewhere and push it until it lets go. At least then if you stack it you are probably not going to hit much except a tyre wall, or if you're unlucky some armco.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would have thought that you would get understeer pushing the front end wide, before it lets go.

Also different tyres will squeal at very different speeds.

Public roads aren't really the best place to find the limits of the car :)

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Yup .. if you want to know use a track. I have crashed a number of ... fast... cars in my lifetime and trust me its not an experience thats fun to repeat. If your on the track and cane it off then

1. Your not going to hit another car (well unlikely to)
2. Your not likely to kill a pedestrian on the side of the side or destroy someones home
3. Your track insurance will pay for repairs (if oyu were breaking the law on the road and damaged something then your insurance will not pay)
4. The police cant wander along afterwards and then do you for dangerous or careless driving because you were exceeding the limit, or driving without the proper due care and attention.

Just because the tyre squeels does not mean your going fast either.... I have been driving my Rover 45 to work (cars out of commission being fixed for the Showdown) and on just about every low spped 15-30mph corner the tyres squeel even though theres grip ... due to the glassy surface and cheep high sided rubber that rolls over under sideways load

·
T o t a l m i n i . c o m
4,467 Posts
Yeah use a track there not really that expensive, and you can have some great fun:D:D
and usually when the tyres start to screech it usually means that you are starting to understeer, as you are loosing traction on the front tyres!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts